Alphonse Mucha/Erte

benconservato

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 10:28 am
tend to agree with you Light Wizard...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:58 pm
Hey, thanks. Just the experience from being involved in the sales of these popular artists and the limited edition market in the 80's and 90's. It's attractive to many who love art even with so much of it being mediocre because the art is salable to the average person. It's tough to sell the real thing and demography is very restricted. I don't see anything wrong with decorative limited edition art if the product is realistically represented. There's still too much mis-representation of the intrinsic value of this art. Not surprisingly, there is more of the buying public who realize they are only buying the art like they would purchase a couch or a rug. The fact that the custom framing sometimes represents a third to a half of the cost of the art itself is telling. There are a handful of artists who command high prices for even these deluxe reproductions (which is what they really are) and, accordingly, their originals sell for $20,000.00 up to over $150,000.00. This does give a buyer with limited financial resources to buy a limited edition serigraph (I'm still not sold on the computer generated giclee) of the artist.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 09:19 am
ahh yes, people who buy things to just have stuff... I have been in a house recently where I was just amazed at the amount of things. Not my style.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 09:56 am
I am a fan of art nouveau and arts and crafts designs so Mucha sits in there. Sice Ertes work has been so mass produced and faked its almost a joke that some of the prices are realized. I was at an antiques auction recently and, among the art was one little erte print that went for about 300$, about 290$ overpriced, It was a n obvious mass print with even the signature multilithed.
There is so much on the secondary market ( I collect ats n crafts pottery) that even names like Newcomb, or TECO are being shipped in by th crateload. AND , people are falling for it.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 11:41 am
sad... on all sides
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 08:51 am
Book marking
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:40 am
Does anybody know or know where I can find the names of Muchas models he used for his pictures?

thanks
0 Replies

CarolGay

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 03:59 pm
@benconservato,
Ben I would love to speak with you about your time with your family
Carol Gay
0 Replies