Alphonse Mucha/Erte

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 03:54 am
I looooove the work of Mucha and have since discovered Erte.Im really interested in fashion/clothing and these artists seemed to have their own fashion collection thought up and displayed in their work.
Anybody else like them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,035 • Replies: 27
No top replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 11:44 am
Even though I suspect it is a commercial art love, I love the Erte fashion illustrations as well.

I am distantly related to Mucha, and spent a month living with the distant relative in his estate in Prague a few years ago... very strange house. But his work is beautiful. I can't even fathom to be able to set myself to draw like that.
Portal Star

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:02 pm
Check out books on fashion design in the 1920's and 1930's, and the art deco movement, particularly in france.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 08:30 pm
I love Erte. I worked in a Franklin Mint retail store and we had statues made from his drawings, they were so beautiful.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 04:36 am
Wow!!!Related to Mucha!!
Isnt there a church in Prague that has stained glass wondows designed by Mucha?
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 11:48 am
yes there is... it honestly is so distant a relation, bu it was interesting to stay in his house with his daughter in-law, who is the oldest living "relative". she is English.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 05:26 am
Wow, cool.What is her name?Do you know where abouts she lives in England?
I promise I wont stalk her I just find it interesting.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 06:54 am
She actually lives in Prague, she looks after his estate. I suspect she is still alive. Her name is Geraldine, I suspect she is a Mucha. After-all; she was married to one.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:43 am
Thanks, I shall do some net searching.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:54 pm
I recall the estate was up near the cathedral... too long ago now. Easy to find I suspect.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 02:07 pm
I'm a big fan of Mucha and have a posters of two of his pieces in my office as we speak. Have loved his stuff since discovering him in college (he did the design for Job rolling papers, among other things).

A few years ago, a museum here did a show on him. I learned a lot: In addition to his advertising art in Paris, he was a Czech patriot who created art around national and cultural themes...
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 10:59 am
I love the Star collection(morning star,evening star etc)also he did some beautiful pictures for champagne.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:36 pm
Problem with Erte is that he has been shamelessly and commercially exploited. The art and sculpture of the past twenty years continuing even after his death was not created by him but by a studio of artists hired to produce the work. The sculpture, as a matter of fact, was actually never created by his hand. It was done at the studio and based on his art.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:50 pm
I'm deeply concerned with this Mucha work : my house name!

http://kattyc.free.fr/images/mucha_gismonda.jpg
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 04:36 am
well the "art-slave" business is big I suspect. I recall watching a film while at school and the artist was just directly cold directions to his artslave, who was doing the work for him. What a load of... really annoys me people who don't do their own work.
Erte was just too sucessful, and relatively easy to copy.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 05:07 am
What does Gismonda mean?

I hate hearing of artist not doing their own work.I heard of a fashion designer over here who goes to high street shops, nicks their ideas then gets someone else to do all the work!!!how dull.

I dint realise Erte was so successful.
I suppose the sculptures where the next step.His designs are amazing in 2D so in £D they would be even better.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 06:48 am
As long as I know :

- Gismonda is a carachter from many medieval stories in Europe.

- Gismonda is one of the many roles played by the legendary French actress, Sarah Bernhardt (1844 - 1923). This is a poster created for her in 1894 by the Czechoslovakian - born artist, Alphonse Maria Mucha (1860 - 1939).

- Gismonda is one of the roles in the Georg Friedrich HAENDEL opera, Otton king of Germany.

- Gismonda is a chicken recipe.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:13 am
For those who would pay $8000.00 for a 3-D copy of Erte's art, hope you like it well enough to keep it 'cause your liklihood of ever realizing even the original cost is very dubious indeed.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 11:22 am
That's a terrific piece, Francis!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 11:32 am
D'Artagnan,

For years I had it in stained glass form on a door.
Since it was broken.

Now I've it on paper.
0 Replies