Picture, Musical or Comedy: "Sideways."

Actor, Musical or Comedy: Jamie Foxx, "Ray."

Actress, Musical or Comedy: Annette Bening, "Being Julia."

Supporting Actor: Clive Owen, "Closer."

Supporting Actress: Natalie Portman, "Closer."

Director: Clint Eastwood, "Million Dollar Baby."

Screenplay: Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, "Sideways."

Original Score: Howard Shore, "The Aviator."

Original Song: "Old Habits Die Hard" from "Alfie," by Mick Jagger and David A. Stewart.

Foreign Language: "The Sea Inside," Spain.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,011 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 11:22 am
What are your predictions, Mr. Wizard? I would love to see Tony Shalhoub win for Monk. Fantastic show.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 11:30 am
Somehow I keep missing that show. I guess I should post the TV GG's in the TV section.

I think Clint may lose out once again to "The Aviator" which is being lauded for being one of Scorcese's best. Howard Hughes being so involved in Hollywood may also make the film a shoo-in for the Oscar.

In the musical/comedy category, "Phantom" has garnered some bad reviews from Britain but I've found no major reviewer in the US on record yet.
I'm guessing "Ray."
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 11:31 am
Don't bother reposting in TV, LW. Someone's already got this whole list there.

It's too early for me to predict - there are several here I haven't seen yet.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 12:04 pm
mac, The fun of it is to predict without seeing.

I'm with Mr. Wizard on The Aviator, not only because Hughes was involved in Hollywood, but because his life and death were a subject of great interest and curiosity. Who were those folks who claimed to have interviewed Hughes and it turned out to be fraudulent?
0 Replies

bree

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 01:26 pm
I find it curious that Clive Owen and Natalie Portman were nominated for Closer, while the two arguably better-known actors in the cast (Jude Law and Julia Roberts) weren't nominated. Without having seen the movie (I saw the play on Broadway, and liked it well enough, but don't feel any need to see the movie version), I can't say whether I agree with those choices, but I can't help wondering about them. Could the fact that Jude Law is in so many movies that have opened in the last few months have worked against him, in the sense that people may think, "Ho-hum, another Jude Law performance"? Another possible explanation is that there isn't really a leading role in Closer -- based on what I remember of the play, the four roles are all pretty much equal -- and the supporting categories are so competitive this year, there may not have been room in those categories for the entire cast of Closer. Another good reason why there should be a category for "best ensemble performance".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 01:38 pm
Often the voting body comes up with anomalies like for "Closer." Actors can cancel each other out when they are in an ensemble cast -- "Closer" is a good case where first string actors are taking the top four parts. I think that happened with "The Return of the King" when Sean astin didn't get nominated (he was certainly superior, IMO, to Jude Law in "Cold Mountain," a performance I found maudlin and unconvincing.)
0 Replies

rystall79

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 12:48 pm
Did anyone love Phantom of the Opera as much as me?
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/andrew_lloyd_webber_s_the_phantom_of_the_opera/gerard_butler/phantom2.jpg

Gerard Butler... ::drool::
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 05:47 pm
Roger Ebert:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041221/REVIEWS/41201007/1023

Seems to appreciate the aesthetics of the film even if he does not particularly care for the stage version.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:00 pm
The Writer's Guild of America nominations from Variety:

WGA THINKS SMALL
Indies dominate scribe nominees
The Writers Guild of America has opted mostly for small-to-mid scale films over high-profile spectacles in in its screenplay award nominations.

Nominations, announced Thursday, in the adapted category included Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke and Richard Linklater for Warner Independent's "Before Sunset," with story by Linklater and Kim Krizan; Tiny Fey for Paramount's "Mean Girls;" Paul Haggis for Warner's "Million Dollar Baby;" Jose Rivera for Focus' "The Motorcycle Diaries;" and Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor for Fox Searchlight's "Sidways."

The original category featured John Logan for Miramax/Warner's "The Aviator;" Charlie Kaufman for Focus's "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" with story by Kaufman, Michael Gondry and Pierre Bismuth; Zach Braff for Fox Searchlight's "Garden State;" Keir Pearson and Terry George for UA's "Hotel Rwanda;" and Bill Condon for Fox Searchlight's "Kinsey."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 10:11 am
From Variety:

Golden Globe winners
Monday, January 17, 2005 Posted: 1048 GMT (1848 HKT)

Best actor-drama winner Leonardo DiCaprio in "The Aviator," which was named best dramatic film.

The following is a complete list of Golden Globe winners announced Sunday evening.

Motion pictures
Picture, Drama: "The Aviator."

Actor, Drama: Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Aviator."

Actress, Drama: Hilary Swank, "Million Dollar Baby."

Picture, Musical or Comedy: "Sideways."

Actor, Musical or Comedy: Jamie Foxx, "Ray."

Actress, Musical or Comedy: Annette Bening, "Being Julia."

Supporting Actor: Clive Owen, "Closer."

Supporting Actress: Natalie Portman, "Closer."

Director: Clint Eastwood, "Million Dollar Baby."

Screenplay: Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, "Sideways."

Original Score: Howard Shore, "The Aviator."

Original Song: "Old Habits Die Hard" from "Alfie," by Mick Jagger and David A. Stewart.

Foreign Language: "The Sea Inside," Spain.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 10:16 am
Well, Mr. Wizard, I guess that's a must see. Hope I'll be around long enough to rent the DVD. Laughing I'm still amazed at Clint Eastwood.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 10:17 am
I missed the awards last night. I could just spit!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 11:56 am
eoe, Bravo will be running them next Saturday night. Even the arrivals beforehand.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 11:57 am
The high point was actually Robin Williams' acceptance speech. DiCaprio was especially gracious in accepting his Golden Globe considering the idea for the movie was his.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 12:15 pm
Jamie Foxx's speech was very entertaining.

Hey, why do you suppose Arnold was there? Just reminding us that he used to be an actor?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 12:15 pm
Oh, and I was very amused with Mick Jagger. He was hilarious.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 12:36 pm
It was one of the most entertaining shows I've seen in years -- Meryl Streep's rolling eyes at losing to Natalie Portman was LOL funny.

Ahnold may have been there to remind himself he was never material for any award for acting. Acting in politics doesn't require much as the majority of the audience doesn't really care.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 12:38 pm
Yes, Meryl congratulating Natalie with an eye roll was great and then Glenn Close checking to be sure they were still friends was funny too.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 12:41 pm
I'm surprised at how tall DiCaprio is. Always thought he was short. I was wrong.

Hillary Swank can use me as a workout bag anytime she wants.
0 Replies