EARTH+MOON+SUN-What are there Rotational+Orbital Velocities?

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 04:38 pm
What is the:

1. Rotational Velocity of the Sun?
2. Rotational Velocity of the Moon?
3. Rotational Velocity of the Earth?

4. Orbital Velocity of the Sun?
5. Orbital Velocity of the Moon?
6. Orbital Velocity of the Earth?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. How are they calculated?
8. Is there an agreed international set of values for questions 1-6?

9. Do you have any other interesting facts to do with their trajectories etc?

Regards, Bib.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,454 • Replies: 71
No top replies

Francis

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 04:41 pm
3- 1666.66 km per hour
I must check the others.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 05:03 pm
Here's a theoritical answer to your question. http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/product.biblio.jsp?osti_id=5671269
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 05:05 pm
On shaker effects. http://heeke.com/franz/Publication.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 06:25 pm
I'll check back later....
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 06:55 pm
Tentative values:

1. 6748.60 km/h, (about 27 days for a rotation)
(The calculated value is mine)

http://science.nasa.gov/ssl/pad/solar/sunturn.htm

2. 15.40 km/h, (29.5306 days for a rotation)

3. 1674.444 km/h, (23.56 hours as a sidereal day)

4. Exact values cannot be found easily, but I once calculated a value for an orbital velocity of the Sun around the (Solar system) barycenter. I remember it was almost in an order of the speed of motorcycles, but excact value is not at hand now,

5. 1.023 km/s, (note "per second")
(not my calculation)

http://www.indwes.edu/Faculty/bcupp/solarsys/Moon.htm

6. 28.13 km/s, ("per second")

http://www.avalon.net/~bstuder/earth_lab.html

7. and some of the methods are in the links above, others in this reply were simply calculated through the plain formula [rotation period / circumference],

8. CODATA seems to be recommended for physical datas.

9 ..

By the way, Bib, recently I have installed, on my Mac, some modues found in the linked pages:

http://www.accordancebible.com/

Very instructive modules.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 07:18 pm
The suns rotational velocity can also be measured by comparing the doppler shift in light coming from either "edge".

Comes out at around 8000km/h at the equator.

Numbers 4,5 & 6 are all meaningless unless you have a point of reference.

The answer to 7 would be....well....using maths. :wink:
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 08:52 pm
Re: EARTH+MOON+SUN-What are there Rotational+Orbital Velocit
Bibliophile the BibleGuru wrote:
What is the:

1. Rotational Velocity of the Sun?
2. Rotational Velocity of the Moon?
3. Rotational Velocity of the Earth?

4. Orbital Velocity of the Sun?
5. Orbital Velocity of the Moon?
6. Orbital Velocity of the Earth?

7. How are they calculated?
8. Is there an agreed international set of values for questions 1-6?

Regards, Bib.

Hi Bib,

Satt's information is usually accurate. He's a lot better at math than I am.

Why do you need this stuff?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 12:19 am
What is the:
all these depend on the frame of reference, and choices
1. Rotational Velocity of the Sun? at what distance out from its centre? (it is mostly gaseous.)
2. Rotational Velocity of the Moon? since the same face always faces the earth, it revolves once each orbit, and it has no atmosphere - simple calculation
3. Rotational Velocity of the Earth? about 580mi/sec. based on a diameter of 4000mi.; faster at Everest, slower at the bottom of the ocean.

4. Orbital Velocity of the Sun?around the centre of the Milky Way Galaxie? big numbers!
5. Orbital Velocity of the Moon? around the Earth, or the Sun?
6. Orbital Velocity of the Earth?at what point in our orbit? It changes as we depart from and aproach the Sun

7. How are they calculated?simple math, unless you want accurate numbers; then it is very complicated - involving computer modeling
8. Is there an agreed international set of values for questions 1-6?of course; don't we agree on just about everything?:wink:

only that as far as astronomy is concerned these are more or less 'faites accomplie'; the closer you get the more is known.
Regards, Bib.

an excellent exercise in relativity.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 04:50 am
Satt: thanks for your post - it's very useful.

I noticed you said that your values were "tentative" - is this due to lack of research time or is there some dispute within the "Astro-" community?
0 Replies

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 04:52 am
Satt: thanks for the accordance link - I'll look into it a bit more - I'm not familiar with it.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 04:57 am
I noticed you said that your values were "tentative" - is this due to lack of research time or is there some dispute within the "Astro-" community?

I am currently away from home, and have no material for calculation in the form of book to look at. I am sorry about that. Sad
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 05:09 am
Satt: thanks for the accordance link - I'll look into it a bit more - I'm not familiar with it.

It may probaly be a body of softwares solely for Mac OS's. It is incredible that it has been designed only for minor users.
(However it can be said that it runs great on Mac OS X; speedy and no hint of erros.)
0 Replies

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 06:52 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Hi Bib,

Satt's information is usually accurate. He's a lot better at math than I am.

Why do you need this stuff?

I want to open up a discussion into the importance of the POSITION and RELATIVE VELOCITIES of each heavenly body. I have a few thoughts on this, and I need some SCIENTIFIC facts on the matter first.

I appreciate all the input I can get on this...preferably from a factual baseline as opposed to a metaphysical one.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 06:56 am
Adrian wrote:
The suns rotational velocity can also be measured by comparing the doppler shift in light coming from either "edge".

Adrian: can you expand a bit for me on the "doppler shift" approach - I need some more enlightenment, thanks.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 07:02 am
BoGoWo wrote:
What is the:
all these depend on the frame of reference, and choices
1. Rotational Velocity of the Sun? at what distance out from its centre? (it is mostly gaseous.)
2. Rotational Velocity of the Moon? since the same face always faces the earth, it revolves once each orbit, and it has no atmosphere - simple calculation
3. Rotational Velocity of the Earth? about 580mi/sec. based on a diameter of 4000mi.; faster at Everest, slower at the bottom of the ocean.

4. Orbital Velocity of the Sun?around the centre of the Milky Way Galaxie? big numbers!
5. Orbital Velocity of the Moon? around the Earth, or the Sun?
6. Orbital Velocity of the Earth?at what point in our orbit? It changes as we depart from and aproach the Sun

7. How are they calculated?simple math, unless you want accurate numbers; then it is very complicated - involving computer modeling
8. Is there an agreed international set of values for questions 1-6?of course; don't we agree on just about everything?:wink:

only that as far as astronomy is concerned these are more or less 'faites accomplie'; the closer you get the more is known.
Regards, Bib.

an excellent exercise in relativity.

BoGOWo: I appreciate all of your clarification notation, and I think it's fair to say that the reference point that I'm looking for is with respect to each bodies' nearest gravitational attractor i.e. Moon to Earth, Earth to Sun, Sun to it's immediate Galaxy (or as observed from Earth).

Also, with respect to mean diameters of each body, I'm referring to their outer physical limit, i.e. Surface of the Moon, Earth's Sea Level, Corona of the Sun, as reasonable approximations.

Any input you can give would be appreciated, thanks.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 02:27 pm
I don't have numbers here, and it seems others are providing those already. I can answer this question though.

Adrian wrote:

Adrian: can you expand a bit for me on the "doppler shift" approach - I need some more enlightenment, thanks.

Certain frequencies of light (relative to their origin) can easily be identified because ofthe way they interact with certain atoms. They show up as dark stripes in the light spectrum. If the object from which the light is coming is moving towards you, the frequency is higher as observed by you, and this shift can be measured. The velocity of the object relative to you can then be calculated.

This dopplershift is the same effect which makes the sound of cars moving towards high pitced, and the sound of cars moving away low pitced.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 04:10 pm
Bib-

Einherjar pretty much expains it above but to clarify.

We know which direction the Sun spins by observing sunspots. Light coming from the edge that is moving away from us is redshifted, light from the edge coming towards us is blueshifted. You take a sample from each edge, measure the shifts with a spectrometer and compare to a known sample (like a lamp or something.) From that you can calculate how fast the rotation is at those two points.

It's better than the sunspot method because there are less assumptions built into the calculation and you can work out the relative velocity between any two points on the surface.

Still the ultimate problem is, as BoGoWo mentioned, the fact that the Sun is not a "solid" ball like the Moon, so measurements will vary. The velocity I've quoted is based on measurements on the "surface" of the equator.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 04:55 pm
Ein: thanks for your explanation - it makes sense.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 05:00 pm
Adrian: thanks for your input.

I did read somewhere recently (my library is enormous and my age is affecting my memory) that our Sun has three different rotations!

Imagine the sun being divided into three sections, where the middle section rotates in the opposite direction of the other two sections that neighbour it. The result is like the winding up of a clockwork toy, which might explain why the sunspots are formed - something to do with torsional magnetic energy.
0 Replies