EARTH+MOON+SUN-What are there Rotational+Orbital Velocities?

HofT

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 04:16 pm
P.S.

"...The nuclear fusion reaction which ignites most readily is

2 H + 3 H =
4 He + n + 17.6 MeV,

or, phrased in other terms, deuterium plus tritium produces 4He plus a neutron plus 17.6 MeV of free energy:

D + T = 4 He + n + 17.6 MeV ......"
http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/design.htm

He = helium, from helios, the Greek word for "sun". We owe to the sun all life on the planet, but I had once seen a calculation for the explosive power inside our home star translated into thermonuclear weapon equivalents and was glad we're 7 light-minutes away from it <G>
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 04:34 pm
Ms HoT, Your post on the sun's rotation was explained in such a way even a novice in science (like me) can understand. Thanks much.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 10:52 am
satt_fs wrote:
I hear that the Moon is getting far from the Earth. This must mean the rotation of the Moon is slowing down. The "spin-orbit resonance" perhaps keeps the way the Moon looks as it does now.

resonance (PDF)
"The Moon, whose rotation period equals its orbital period around the Earth, thus allowing only one side of its surface to be seen from our planet, is a well-known example of a 1:1 spin- orbit resonance. "

Thanks Satt, that's what I'm looking for. Very Happy
0 Replies

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 05:01 pm
Francis wrote:
Part of the answer is here :

the slowing spin of the earth

Thanks for that, Francis.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 11:31 pm
Earth's Day has been calculated to be shortened due to the Earthquake.

Quote:

NASA Details Earthquake Affects on the Earth

NASA scientists using data from the Indonesian earthquake calculated it affected Earth's rotation, decreased the length of day, slightly changed the planet's shape, and shifted the North Pole by centimeters. The earthquake that created the huge tsunami also changed the Earth's rotation.

Dr. Benjamin Fong Chao, of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md. and Dr. Richard Gross of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif. said all earthquakes have some affect on Earth's rotation. It's just they are usually barely noticeable.

"Any worldly event that involves the movement of mass affects the Earth's rotation, from seasonal weather down to driving a car," Chao said.

Chao and Gross have been routinely calculating earthquakes' effects in changing the Earth's rotation in both length-of-day as well as changes in Earth's gravitational field. They also study changes in polar motion that is shifting the North Pole. The "mean North pole" was shifted by about 2.5 centimeters (1 inch) in the direction of 145ยบ East Latitude. This shift east is continuing a long-term seismic trend identified in previous studies.

They also found the earthquake decreased the length of day by 2.68 microseconds. Physically this is like a spinning skater drawing arms closer to the body resulting in a faster spin. The quake also affected the Earth's shape. They found Earth's oblateness (flattening on the top and bulging at the equator) decreased by a small amount. It decreased about one part in 10 billion, continuing the trend of earthquakes making Earth less oblate.

To make a comparison about the mass that was shifted as a result of the earthquake, and how it affected the Earth, Chao compares it to the great Three-Gorge reservoir of China. If filled the gorge would hold 40 cubic kilometers (10 trillion gallons) of water. That shift of mass would increase the length of day by only 0.06 microseconds and make the Earth only very slightly more round in the middle and flat on the top. It would shift the pole position by about two centimeters (0.8 inch).

The researchers concluded the Sumatra earthquake caused a length of day (LOD) change too small to detect, but it can be calculated. It also caused an oblateness change barely detectable, and a pole shift large enough to be possibly identified. They hope to detect the LOD signal and pole shift when Earth rotation data from ground based and space-borne position sensors are reviewed.

The researchers used data from the Harvard University Centroid Moment Tensor database that catalogs large earthquakes. The data is calculated in a set of formulas, and the results are reported and updated on a NASA Web site.

The massive earthquake off the west coast of Indonesia on December 26, 2004, registered a magnitude of nine on the new "moment" scale (modified Richter scale) that indicates the size of earthquakes. It was the fourth largest earthquake in one hundred years and largest since the 1964 Prince William Sound, Alaska earthquake.

The devastating mega thrust earthquake occurred as a result of the India and Burma plates coming together. It was caused by the release of stresses that developed as the India plate slid beneath the overriding Burma plate. The fault dislocation, or earthquake, consisted of a downward sliding of one plate relative to the overlying plate. The net effect was a slightly more compact Earth. The India plate began its descent into the mantle at the Sunda trench that lies west of the earthquake's epicenter.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 08:23 am
Yes, I heard this on BBC radio this morning - they summarised the calculation as "Earth's Day will reduce by about three millionths of a second!"
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 12:40 pm
That's just plain wrong - sidereal calculation remains unaltered.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:10 pm
Even with the decrease in size of the equator and tilt change?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 02:20 pm
HofT wrote:

What does "sidereal" mean exactly?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 03:30 pm
The measurement that includes it's observable environment?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 04:36 pm
HofT wrote:

If a day shortened then a siderial day is shortened too, if you mean "to the distant star or galaxy" by "siderial."
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 05:06 pm
satt_fs wrote:
HofT wrote:

If a day shortened then a siderial day is shortened too, if you mean "to the distant star or galaxy" by "siderial."

Yeh, Satt is correct. I looked this up, and it's pretty clear that a change in solar day will cause the same change in sidereal day (assuming that you are using the standard definition).
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:01 pm
Satt - this isn't what I meant, I meant the time as determined in atomic clocks, e.g. with particle decay. You're right I shouldn't have used "sidereal", not the same thing, even though pulsars provide clocks independent of our planet's rotation. Sorry.
0 Replies

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:39 am
Satt: explain to me in layman's terms how the recent tsunami caused the Earth's Day to change?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:42 am
Bibliophile the BibleGuru wrote:
Satt: explain to me in layman's terms how the recent tsunami caused the Earth's Day to change?

Due to the quake, a small component of the Earth's mass moved slightly closer to the center of the planet. This caused the planet to speed up through conservation of angular momentum (like an ice skater in a spin, pulling their arms in).
0 Replies

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:53 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Due to the quake, a small component of the Earth's mass moved slightly closer to the center of the planet. This caused the planet to speed up through conservation of angular momentum (like an ice skater in a spin, pulling their arms in).

I see.

But was this "small component" not an equal and opposite reaction to the displaced uplift of water? Would it not equalise?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:22 pm
Displacement of water is temporary, but the shift of the mass is lasting..

One more factor: The earth has become more compact because of the slide of the India plate beneath the Burma plate. This (more compact earth) has the similar result of "a spinning skater drawing arms closer to the body."
0 Replies

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:53 pm
Interesting. Thanks Satt.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:07 pm
Satt - the India plate as you know split off Africa eons ago and crashed into Eurasia raising the Himalayan mountain chain. My question to you is: if its continued movement contributes to further heightening of said mountain chain - and all satellite measurements indicate that it does - wouldn't that counteract, negate, or even reverse the motion that you mention when analyzed in terms of geological ages rather than human lifetimes?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:15 pm
HofT wrote:
Satt - the India plate as you know split off Africa eons ago and crashed into Eurasia raising the Himalayan mountain chain. My question to you is: if its continued movement contributes to further heightening of said mountain chain - and all satellite measurements indicate that it does - wouldn't that counteract, negate, or even reverse the motion that you mention when analyzed in terms of geological ages rather than human lifetimes?

The NASA site to which I referred says the following:
Quote:
The devastating mega thrust earthquake occurred as a result of the India and Burma plates coming together. It was caused by the release of stresses that developed as the India plate slid beneath the overriding Burma plate.

According to this, the Burma plate appears to be overriding the India plate.
0 Replies