EARTH+MOON+SUN-What are there Rotational+Orbital Velocities?

rosborne979

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 05:29 pm
Bibliophile the BibleGuru wrote:
Adrian: thanks for your input.

I did read somewhere recently (my library is enormous and my age is affecting my memory) that our Sun has three different rotations!

Imagine the sun being divided into three sections, where the middle section rotates in the opposite direction of the other two sections that neighbour it. The result is like the winding up of a clockwork toy, which might explain why the sunspots are formed - something to do with torsional magnetic energy.

I would expect the Sun, or any fluid (plasma) object to have differing rates of rotation depending on the density of the various shells. This part wouldn't surprise me.

However, I would be surprised to find out that particular layers or shells are rotating in opposite directions. Where did you read this? Do you have a source?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 05:46 pm
Adrian wrote:
The suns rotational velocity can also be measured by comparing the doppler shift in light coming from either "edge".

Comes out at around 8000km/h at the equator.

Numbers 4,5 & 6 are all meaningless unless you have a point of reference.

The answer to 7 would be....well....using maths. :wink:

Adrian: can you expand a bit for me on the "doppler shift" approach - I need some more enlightenment, thanks.

If the (linear) velocity of the rotation of the Sun is in the order of 6748.60 km/h as was shown, then, at the edge of the Sun, then..
Code:The redshift in the form of frequency change must be in the order of

and the blueshift must be in the order of

The formula is n'=n(1-(v/c))/sqrt(1-(v*v)/(c*c)),
n="orifinal frequency of light",
n'="shifted frequency",
v="the velocity of the motion",
c="the velocity of light."
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 11:30 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Adrian: thanks for your input.

I did read somewhere recently (my library is enormous and my age is affecting my memory) that our Sun has three different rotations!

Imagine the sun being divided into three sections, where the middle section rotates in the opposite direction of the other two sections that neighbour it. The result is like the winding up of a clockwork toy, which might explain why the sunspots are formed - something to do with torsional magnetic energy.

I would expect the Sun, or any fluid (plasma) object to have differing rates of rotation depending on the density of the various shells. This part wouldn't surprise me.

However, I would be surprised to find out that particular layers or shells are rotating in opposite directions. Where did you read this? Do you have a source?

Maurice Cotterel: The Mayan Prophecies - Appendix Section
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 02:25 pm
Maurice Cotterel: The Mayan Prophecies - Appendix Section

Oh yeh, the Earth will end in 2012, I remember now Smile

For a second there I almost thought your source might be from a non-fiction book, silly me Wink
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 04:23 pm
rosborne979 wrote:

Oh yeh, the Earth will end in 2012, I remember now Smile

I know this is a digression here, but .. a few words..

The Mayan calendar has triple cycles, and the long cycle enters into a new cycle on Dec/21/2012 according to a fairly reliable theory about the base date of the cycle (August 11, 3113 BC (Goodman-Martinez-Thompson)).
It is shown merely through a routine computation, once the base date is determined.

From 12.19.19.17.19 to 13.0.0.0.0 is the change of the cycle.

Code:
Thursday, 20 December 2012 on Gregorian Calendar
12.19.19.17.19 .. on Mayan Long Cycle
(2 Kankin, 3 Cauac .. other cycles)

Friday, 21 December 2012 on Gregorian Calendar
13.0.0.0.0 .. on Mayan Long Cycle
(3 Kankin, 4 Ahau .. other cycles)

For your information, the former change of the cycle took place on Sep/18/1618.

Code:
Monday, 17 September 1618 on Gregorian Calendar

Tuesday, 18 September 1618 on Gregorian Calendar
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 04:38 pm
And what are we expecting to happen in 8 more years?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 04:48 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
And what are we expecting to happen in 8 more years?

Simply, before and after the Mayan cycle change, "the evening and the morning" will be..
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 04:50 pm
...reversed. Wink LOL
0 Replies

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 08:41 am
satt_fs wrote:
The Mayan calendar has triple cycles, and the long cycle enters into a new cycle on Dec/21/2012 according to a fairly reliable theory about the base date of the cycle (August 11, 3113 BC (Goodman-Martinez-Thompson)).
It is shown merely through a routine computation, once the base date is determined.

Thank you Satt. The Mayan calendar is certainly not fictional, as Ros is jokingly suggesting, but a very cleverly computed set of cycles.

Incidentally, it's not too much off thread...after all it does involve the rotation of the Earth relative to our Sun!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 10:24 am
Thank you Satt. The Mayan calendar is certainly not fictional, as Ros is jokingly suggesting, but a very cleverly computed set of cycles.

I wasn't suggesting that the calendar is fictional, obviously. I was suggesting that the predictions of dire concequences in 2012 are fictional.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 05:06 pm
Is the Earth's rotational velocity or it's orbital velocity around the Sun decreasing? If so, can anyone provide me with some data?
0 Replies

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 05:09 pm
Similar to the previous questions: Is the Moon's rotational velocity or its orbital velocity around the Earth decreasing?

Furthermore, if the Moon's orbital velocity around the Earth were to decrease, would this affect how much of the Moon would be able to see?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 06:06 pm
Is this a question of physics or philosophy?
0 Replies

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 06:54 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Is this a question of physics or philosophy?

You're being facetious - this is a Science Forum, therefore it's a Physics question.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 07:56 am
BBtG wrote :

Quote:
Is the Moon's rotational velocity or its orbital velocity around the Earth decreasing?

Part of the answer is here :

the slowing spin of the earth
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 12:37 pm
One must be facetious when the question is too difficult to answer. Wink
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 03:18 pm
Similar to the previous questions: Is the Moon's rotational velocity or its orbital velocity around the Earth decreasing?

Furthermore, if the Moon's orbital velocity around the Earth were to decrease, would this affect how much of the Moon would be able to see?

I hear that the Moon is getting far from the Earth. This must mean the rotation of the Moon is slowing down. The "spin-orbit resonance" perhaps keeps the way the Moon looks as it does now.

resonance (PDF)
"The Moon, whose rotation period equals its orbital period around the Earth, thus allowing only one side of its surface to be seen from our planet, is a well-known example of a 1:1 spin- orbit resonance. "
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 03:35 pm
Did anyone else hear about the earth's axis thrown out of kilter by the recent earthquake?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 03:37 pm
Interesting article. http://slate.msn.com/id/2111443
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 03:52 pm
"....Helioseismology has transformed our knowledge of the Sun's rotation. Earlier studies revealed the Sun's surface rotation, but now a detailed observational picture has been built up of the internal rotation of our nearest star...."
http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.astro.41.011802.094848;jsessionid=j_GRyELx4GUd?cookieSet=1

The figures would have to be tentative even if every subatomic particle in the Sun could be located with precision at any specific time. This is one of the most interesting applications of simulation modelling on supercomputers - remember, the sun is a big continuous thermonuclear explosion that's been going on for 5 billion years!
0 Replies