dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:05 pm
msolga wrote:
I love real, fat, juicy garlic cloves in pasta sauce ... lots of 'em! Yum!

Amen - but the talk was of quick and dirty, I believe.

ROASTED garlic, and ROASTED tomatoes - and some roasted red capsicum - in such sauces adds a wonderful flavour....or a richer flavour can be imparted quickly by adding some semi-dried tomatoes.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:22 pm
tycoon wrote:
I'm just wondering if the oregano and basil are doing anything to the sauce when they're introduced so early into the cooking process. Do they really impart their flavors, or do they simply get simmered away? Those two herbs are best sprinkled in late, IMO.

The recipe does sound good though. I intend to try it.

It all depends on whether you are using fresh or dried herbs. Dried can hold out over a long simmering, providing what you might want to call "bass notes" of flavour. Combine that with adding some fresh herbs of the same variety about five minutes before the sauce is done, those will reinforce the flavour profile, and provide the "treble". Then, you have harmony.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:42 pm
Kalamata olives.
Very strong flavor. Try one first... but it sounds like they belong in that sauce.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 07:53 pm
Quick Q; Why the F do you need Worchestershire sauce and F'n cinnamon to make a decent Bolognese???

And NO, I didn't read the whole thread before I wrote this.

Crazy.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:08 pm
Technically, Craven's recipe is sort of a cross between a Bolognese and a Puttanesca, with some 'continental' influence. There is actually some potential to take it in different directions. Moroccan and Mexican come to mind...must sleep soon though. Quick thoughts re: Moroccan, add some preserved lemon (not the same as dried lemon), and pop in a bit of cumin, turmeric, saffron, cayenne, or that pepper oil, a touch of powdered ginger, and about five minutes before it's done, throw in a handful of chopped fresh coriander and parsley, in equal proportions. For a change, serve it over large grain couscous instead of spaghetti.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:21 pm
Speaking of pasta: It's basil season in Oz! Yay, heaven! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:23 pm
dlowan wrote:
msolga wrote:
I love real, fat, juicy garlic cloves in pasta sauce ... lots of 'em! Yum!

Amen - but the talk was of quick and dirty, I believe.

ROASTED garlic, and ROASTED tomatoes - and some roasted red capsicum - in such sauces adds a wonderful flavour....

Hey, it doesn't take long to smash a few healthy garlic cloves & cook them, Deb. They're pretty dirty, too, in my book! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 10:20 pm
My take is take a few of those minutes and saute the onions to translucent separately. It doesn't take that long and is worth it to me.

Diff flavor from the random cooked onion in bubbling sauce.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 11:29 pm
The quickest & the dirtiest! Good old Aglio e Olio!

Spicy Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
(spicy spaghetti with garlic and olive oil)

Preparation time: about 15 minutes

Servings: About 4

Ingredients:

1 lb spaghetti or spaghettini
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 TB minced garlic
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
salt
optional: grated pecorino cheese

Directions:

Cook pasta until al dente.

Heat oil over medium in a small saucepan. Add garlic and red pepper and sautee just until garlic begins to color.

Remove from heat. Add parsley.

Mix sauce and pasta in a large bowl. Add salt and cheese to taste.

Sensational! But not for every day, obviously! I have been known to use more garlic than in this recipe. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 11:31 pm
Why not for every day?

It's the same idea, you saute the garlic or the onions first, it's worth it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 11:34 pm
Well, osso, all that oil & the constant reeking of garlic! Laughing But I just LOVE the stuff! In my opinion, the drug of the pasta world! Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 11:53 pm
Oil, just a dab'll do ya, msolga, and garlic is only good. Tis evil in the rooms of non-garlic eaters, like Walter.

No, not Our Walter, but my business partner's husband, who when I was staying over at their house for a couple of week's opened all the windows and doors when I cooked. And swept under my feet.

With something like two cloves, max, and usually less. Well, poor guy, he was born in Austria and raised in Amsterdam. I drove him crazy and was soon out of there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 11:57 pm
I guess I should mention that garlic behaves differently in certain circumstances. I gather the way to make it most mellow it to put it as cloves into a simmering pot, over hours.

Most in your face, is of course, raw chopped garlic. And there are various inbetweens. So, number of cloves isn't so much the difference, as is the way of cooking.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 12:33 am
Oh, poor Walter! He didn't know what he was missing! Sad Life without garlic is like .... I don't know, something VERY deprived! Tragic! Sad Sad Sad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 12:49 am
Well, he doesn't taste food much. Instead of mocking him, I can understand, as I have little sense of smell. (me, I seem to compensate on the taste bits). In any case, Walter, my business partner's husband, is quite sensitive generally, and, hey, a music lover... he does some of the local npr broadcasts re jazz and classical music.

But, I still am left being garlic queen.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 12:56 am
I'm sure you don't mean to denigrate him, osso. But a life without garlic! Tragic!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 01:03 am
Yes, and mine myself was not worth living, perhaps, until I cottoned on to it...

snicker...

still, garlic fills out your shoulders.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 01:09 am
It gives you strength to carry on! Laughing Do you think it could be a drug, osso? :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 01:21 am
No, msolga. We see bottles of pickled garlic and various artifactual garlic products...

still, it isn't the same thing as real garlic just sitting there, being garlic in its garlicness.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a shill for, thinking the garlic place in CA, down by Hollister.

silly, as I have painted a painting from a photo of the guy in the antique shop across from the garlic store.

Aha, that's it, finally I remember, it's Gilroy.

So, surely I am not a shill for Gilroy since I couldn't remember the name of the town.

Ah, well, Gilroy is becoming a developed bedroom community as we speak.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 10:13 am
Msolga wrote: "Sensational! But not for every day, obviously! I have been known to use more garlic than in this recipe."

Yes - it is cruel how the need to interact with other human beings intrudes upon one's enjoyment of garlic!

When I was a weelowan, garlic was unknown in the homes of Anglos such as my family.

Then - its use became permissible - in that it was acceptable to cut a clove in half, and rub a weeny bit of it around the salad bowl. It was then thrown away. Garlic - and oil - were for "New Australians".

In fact, my mother, when my father absented himself on business, WAS an adventurous cook - and such wonders as spaghetti bolognese (WITH GARLIC!!!!) would appear on our plates at such times. When he returned, lamb chops, roasts and three veg would reappear with monotonous regularity - though she did not, as was the Anglo Oz habit at the time, boil the veggies until they gave up all attempts to maintain structural integrity.

Then - just as garlic was putting its li'l tippy-toes under the door of our home, there was The Terrible Incident of Uncle Murray And The Garlic!!!!

One of my mum's friends, known by the courtesy title of Auntie Vicky, decided to be daring, and Put Garlic In The Sauce.

Something very odd about her husband's metabolism meant that it sort of reproduced inside his body, in the oddest way, and poor Uncle Murray REEKED of, EXUDED, BREATHED, SWEATED and was generally surrounded by a miasma of, garlic for a week or more! This in a frigid little Anglo world of no garlic - and, poor man, he was a car salesman! Nearly lost his job!

The men were terrified. The frightening little bulbs were banned.
0 Replies