Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 08:38 pm
I have always been good at this one dish. I love it to pieces and have my spaghetti down to a fine science.

Recently I have been trying to get around to cooking more often, so today I made some for friends.

I didn't have time to do my all-night batch from plain tomatoes, so I went with quick and dirty from tomato sauce.

I never use recipies, but since I'm on a push to learn and change I figured I might as well solicit input, and perhaps discover ways I can make my favorite dish even better.

Note:

I like avery full-flavored spaghetti, so my style is probably not for people who like food on the bland side.

Ok, first of all, I hit up a grocery store.

I bought:

Stuff

ground beef (get good meat, it makes a difference)
some ground sausage
tomato sauce
tomato paste
diced tomatoes
garlic cloves
onions
basil
oregano
minced roasted garlic
olive oil
bay leaves
worchestershire sauce
brown sugar
spaghetti (picking the right spaghetti makes a world of a difference)
pitted and diced olives
sliced mushrooms
pepper

Steps

Fire up a pot, and coat it with olive oil

Drop in the frozen meat. I like to use frozen meat because of how some will be nice and crispy and some will be tender. I also have my routine down with frozen meat, and not thawed (never have time for enoughonions and garlic).

Dice half of an onion (faily coarse) and drop it in with the meat with a pinch of salt. The idea is for the flavor to exchange early. The onions lose a lot of taste into the meat and they absorb a lot of taste as well (I like onions, they are great drawing boards for taste).

I add a study looking bay leaf, oregano, basil, roasted minced garlic, and pepper. I need these onions to carry the sauce.

Then I get to the garlic cloves, and peel and slice as many as I have time for.

I add these in the meat, the whole while shaving off the cooked meat from the frozen chunk.

As the meat is nearing a finish I dice the rest of the onion, going for fine this time.

I add this, when all the meat is barely browned.

Now is the important part, the meat needs to be perfect before the sauce comes into play.

I add a line of worchestershire sauce, the mushrooms and olives (I add before the sauce so that the liquid they sit in can burn off).

I open all the tomato sauce cans while I'm letting the mouisture burn off the meat. I like the meat a bit crisp before the sauce starts.

Now I add the tomato sauce, dices tomatoes and tomatoe paste with a pinch of brown sugar, more garlic and onions, oregano, basil, a fresh bay leaf and a line of olive oil (if the meat wasn't too oily).

Now it needs salt to taste and as much simmering time as you can afford. I like the sauce thick, not runny at all and there should be some dark red oil floating at the top.

If I'm having a runny sauce emergency I'll add a tablespoon of grated parmesean to absorb it but that usually means spaghetti failure already.

Anywho, now it's time for the spaghetti. I boil water with olive oil and salt. Both are crucial. The salt is both for taste as well as getting the water temperature right. The oil is to avoid clumping.

Stirring it in is very important, the first minute is clump or die.

I usually add a bit of oregano at this stage too, it's more for looks when it drains than anything else.

Note for Americans: American pasta is almost always woefully overcooked. I've found that I much prefer al dente. Find out what you like, this may make a big difference.

Then I eat the "I can't wait plate" and let the sauce keep simmering while I eat. As long as it doesn't burn or dry cooking it won't hurt so I usually leave it for a few hours if I have a crock pot handy.

Anywho, this is the quick and dirty version. Any thoughts on how I can improve it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,422 • Replies: 40
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 08:44 pm
I prefer to use cinnimon in place of sugar when making the sauce. Other than that it looks like the same "stuff" list I use most time except I've never tried using any worchestershire sauce and I try not to burn my ground beef. lol
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 08:47 pm
I need to try the cinnamon trick. I've never done that (do you use sticks or ground?)

I use very little worchestershire sauce, the vinegar in it sucks. I like that it helps crisp the meat without burning it since it burns so easily.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 08:48 pm
I forgot MSG. I don't use it much these days because it has a bad rap stateside. But it's pure magic.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 08:51 pm
That's 'quick'? My kind of quick recipe is buy salsa, heat in oiled skillet, boil pasta, toss together, add parma.

The cinnamon replacing sugar is a good option (don't use too much!). You can also add mace/nutmeg in small quantities too.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 08:52 pm
sounds good - when you making the next pot? Could also use a place to stay maybe 1/22/05 ???
Fly in for concert - wanna go it I can work it?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 08:52 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I need to try the cinnamon trick. I've never done that (do you use sticks or ground?)

I use ground. There usually isn't enough liquid in the sauce to break down a stick unless you are simmering it for a few days. I hate gnawing on cinnamon sticks. lol
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 08:55 pm
Craven, a have a lebanese friend who is a great cook. His sauce is to die for. His secret ingredient is....dried lemons. It take forever before a lemon crystalizes but the taste is outa this world. Add one to sauce, it adds a tangy flavour. Lovely...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 08:58 pm
Ceili,

that is the kindopf thing I am looking for.

Thanks, I'll make sure to give that a try!

lil'k,

Really quick for me is olive oil and parmesean cheese, I tried salsa once and it was pretty nasty.

The above can be pretty quickif you have it down right, if you skipthe tomato pasteyou can do it in 20 minutes since it won't need to simmer off the acidic taste as much.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 09:02 pm
Maybe you tried the wrong salsa......?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 09:02 pm
Dunno, I've never seen a salsa that tastes good cooked.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 09:03 pm
Having mastered and perfected a basic tomato sauce you should be able to move on to chili and any other ethnic food with a tomato base.

If we're every in the same area, I'd like an invitation to dinner.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 09:04 pm
Hell Noddy, I'd go out of my way to ensure we are in the same area for a dinner.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 09:06 pm
I always use a touch of oriental chili paste, and if it's too hot then I throw in a half cup of shreded carrot it replaces the sugar and cuts the heat.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 09:08 pm
For spice I'll sometimes leave redpeppers in a bottle of olive oil for a week and use that oil.

It really conveys the spice well, so you can use less spice.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 11:55 pm
I'll use salsa whenever I have part of a jar in the fridge. I won't buy it special for a sauce, but it works with my taste buds.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 01:58 am
"I add these in the meat, the whole while shaving off the cooked meat from the frozen chunk."

Ha!!!!! I know this sounds nuts, but I LOVE doing that.

Ahem.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:03 am
Craven de Kere wrote:

I use very little worchestershire sauce, the vinegar in it sucks. I like that it helps crisp the meat without burning it since it burns so easily.

STICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you grind your own just before.

AND - you can use the sticks again. THis is one of those things - like using real vanilla beans (and scraping the seeds out) for which there is no substitute.

I blush to say it, but, speaking of shortcuts, I find the dried granulated garlic is fabulous for such dishes - except is stays a bit crunchy.

Never use the wet stuff in jars - it is always in vinegar, or acetic acid - and, for my taste, that ruins the taste, absolutely.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 06:33 am
I love real, fat, juicy garlic cloves in pasta sauce ... lots of 'em! Yum!
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:02 am
I'm just wondering if the oregano and basil are doing anything to the sauce when they're introduced so early into the cooking process. Do they really impart their flavors, or do they simply get simmered away? Those two herbs are best sprinkled in late, IMO.

The recipe does sound good though. I intend to try it.
0 Replies