Office Politics ... Help, Please!

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 12:36 pm
Do you have a feel for how the office relationship may be impacting all of this? Is it known, out in the open?

That could perhaps be another way of broaching the subject in a non-blame-y, but also non-accepting-blame sort of way -- talking to your supervisor about, "As you know, I'm seeing ___ in the ___ department, and it has come up a few times that we have to work together -- do you have any advice or guidelines for me as to how to minimize any negative impact of our relationship on the working environment?" or whatever.

In my experience, office romances tend to put everyone on edge, even if they're perfectly good romances.

I think a general way to go is to let someone in charge know that a) you're not happy, b) there is a problem, which is not your fault and c) you'd love to stick around and do what you can to solve the problem, but you'd sure like to see the problem solved. This may take an implicit threat of leaving, which you'd need to be ready to act on if necessary.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 12:44 pm
sozobe: I think you are right about my boyfriend and my boss. There was some posturing in the past between them, but I think that is behind them now. My boss probably is intimidated by my relationship with him.

It's unfortunate, it's a sore spot. But I'm sure of one thing, all three of us are company people and give more than our pound of flesh to the company and to our positions. We all have that same goal in mind, sincerely. And I have an enormous amount of respect for my overtaxed boss.

Not only that, in my recent review with my manager and one supervisor, the company offered me a modest raise and my boss went to his boss and fought for a higher raise for me. Still modest, but the good will that engendered will stay with me forever.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 12:51 pm
If it were me, I would leave. With your work ethics,
you'll do fine wherever you choose to go dupre.

What made me puzzle is that no one would take responsibility
of the $ 1200 cash and it was put into your hands to deal
with it, along with the responsibility of course, should the money
be lost.

It sounds to me that this company lacks proper management
skills and wastes too much time on unnecessary procedures
that could be eliminated with proper corporate policies.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 01:00 pm
Thanks, Calamity Jane. To be specific, it wasn't "cash" it was a phone debit form.

I think you are right. I could do just as well anywhere. It's not a high paying position and could easily be replaced.

I think sozobe has the right of it. It does have to do with my relationship. And, of course, the rampant miscommunication within the whole company.

I would love to get through this and stay, but this miscommunication would always be an issue. Some people can roll with it and, well, I guess, I can't.

When I joined my manager's team, he aksed me what I needed from him as a manager. I said I only needed for him to be an excellent communicator. He said he was. I said then we'll get along well.

Guess, one of us isn't a good communicator. And I don't think it's me.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 01:09 pm
Unless I'm reading wrong, the underlying thread here is that you are asking for advice or decisions and either being brushed off, or falsely led to believe you have somehow been relieved of the problem. You are now in the position of point this out, which cannot be done without it sounding like an accusation, or taking the blame for not reporting the problems as they arose, even though you actually have.

Glad to hear you have other job options. There are probably other potential boyfriends out there, too.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 01:12 pm
Roger, so you think I should leave?

Was I at fault?

How can I learn from this and not take it into the next position?

If you were my boss, would you hate me now?

Would this be fixable?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 01:24 pm
If other jobs are available, I would say to take them.

Not your fault, so far as I can see. You ask someone how to procede. You get an answer. The answer is wrong, according to someone else. Now, is the first person taking responsibility for the misinformation? It doesn't sound like it, and you simply can't demand written documentation from the various managers you deal with. At some point, yes, they may tell you should have, but we both know you simply cannot work in the environment that would creat.

Mostly, I think you hope for a better situation in the next company. Do be sure that when you ask about these things, you are asking someone with the authority to deal with the problem. Also, it may help to formalize the situation. That is, ask for a specific time for a discussion. Do not ask something this important, and lead of with "Oh, by the way. . . .
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 01:29 pm
Thanks, Roger. I appreciate your thoughts.

I'll start looking elsewhere.

Thank you all for the reality checks!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 01:43 pm
Ya might wanna hold those checks a little while before ya go usin' the funds ya think ya got there, dupre - thing about reality checks ya gotta watch is not all of 'em clear :wink:
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 01:48 pm
timberlandko: Right you are! I could do nothing and wait to see if it all blows over or at least blows in some else's direction.

I learned that if I give two weeks notice, they will pay me any accrued vacation time.

I could come out slightly ahead.

However, I need the vacation. And maybe when I get back, someone else will be the team's whipping boy.

Smile
0 Replies