Dear math experts, please explain to me the way of mathematicians.

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2017 01:55 pm
I am always after understanding things in existence.

In regard to mathematics I am always reading from scientists-mathematicians how beautiful is math, and how amazing, as with Einstein's telling mankind that he is himself amazed, how math for being something all in man's mind, can and does make sense of things in the realm of physics - something to that effect, just correct me if I get Einstein wrongly.

Okay, this thread is a question from me, but as I said already several times in a2k, when a person who is grown up and thinking, asks a question he must also have his own answer to the question, but he wants to get to know how others answer the same question.

Okay, wanted math experts in a2k, please tell me, What is the way of mathematicians?

You will ask me speciously, What so I mean by what is the way of mathematicians?

Simple, that question is similar to this question, What is the way of chefs?

Okay, math experts here, tell me what is the way of mathematicians?

From my part, though I could expose myself to be an ignorant human, still I am here to learn from fellow humans who know more and better than me, so here is my own thought on what is the way of mathematicians.

Mathematicians see something and seek to figure out how to manipulate quantitative entities or concepts as to be able to arrive at that something, by trial and error, and finally coming to an, at present an equation.

Like this, the mathematician sees one apple and then he sees another apple, so he sees two apples; now he asks himself, how do I manipulate quantitative entities i.e. concepts as to know how come when I see one apple and then another apple, I am seeing now two apples?

After so much trial and error, finally he comes to the equation: 1 + 1 = 2.

What do you say? Oh ye experts of math?

Dear readers here, let us all sit back and await with bated breath to read what the math experts here explain to me and also if you care, you yourselves, the way of mathematicians.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,775 • Replies: 34
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2017 07:09 pm
@Susmariosep,
do you say "maths" or more correctly, "math"
Ponderer

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2017 08:31 pm
@farmerman,
Yes ( depending on whether you are referring to one apple or two )
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 02:07 am
@Susmariosep,
You ask a potentially interesting but difficult question, indeed one which took me weeks of research, despite my previous experience in the foundations, to attempt to answer in order to submit a paper to my local philosophy group.
Alas, only a fool would engage you in this topic because you have already rejected the essential concept of references which are essential to an understanding of the issues.

SUGGESTED REFERENCES
“Philosophy and The Mirror of Nature” Rorty
“Genetic Epistemology “ Piaget
“Arguing about Science” Bird and Ladyman
“Scientific Models” in Stanford Enc. Phil.
“Philosophy of Mathematics” in Oxford Companion to Philosophy.
“Physics of the Atom” Wehr and Richards

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 02:31 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

do you say "maths" or more correctly, "math"

Susmariosep wrote:

Dear math experts, please explain to me the way of mathematicians.

I'll repeat the advice I gave to Susmariosep, try opening your bowels. You'll feel so much better and you won't waste any more time trying to start pointless, petty arguments.

Maybe you should be more concerned with what's going on in Charlottesville rather than how people pronounce words differently.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 03:01 am
@izzythepush,
Hi Izzy, Ive gotta say , youre easier to lure up from your weedy lair than an old croaker with a death wish .
Hows yer summer going you old git?

We had a discussion about this very subject at a conf arlier this summer. Most of my Brit colleagues talk as you, and the Canajuns make jokes about us both.

Are you suggesting I commit Sepuku? or is "opening your bowels" just a
way you hone your communication skills. You do sound a bit more dyspeptic .
izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 05:51 am
@farmerman,
I ignored your 'bacon' taunt. I'm just amazed how much this bothers you and your peculiar belief that we actually listen to Americans. I'm fine, I went up to the Smoke on Saturday to meet Ragman and a jolly good time was had by all.

I'm off on holiday next week, going to Copenhagen.

I was referencing something I said to the OP, or Spermguy as I like to call him. He said he would read my posts because he has an open mind. I said he'd be better off opening his bowels. My advice to you was to do the same, I'm sure you'll feel a lot better. I was speaking literally, not figuratively, opening your bowels isn't a euphemism for anything other than having a ****.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 09:00 am
@izzythepush,
fly safe. Have a good time. Try soma their fried Fleisch
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 09:54 am
@Susmariosep,
I think you have it backwards. Numbers came about to quantify and value material things, like how many goats a chieftain possessed. It was realized that numbers exist in and of themselves and mathematics resulted from this realization. Some cultures, like some indigenous ones found in the rain forests of the world, don't have words or concepts for numbers higher than "two."
izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 10:30 am
@farmerman,
Thank you, and thanks for letting me know what to avoid.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 11:21 am
@izzythepush,
try it . Dont be so parochial. Theres only good food an bd food. Degrees of "Bacon" are just a way we try to sound exclusive (and) exclusionary.

I just dont like Brit bacon cause its too damn salty. Our Virginia country hams are very similar in taste except, besides all the salt, they smoke em. I love country hams as long as theyve been soaked and sour brined for several days to get rid of the salt before making thin slices like Prosciutto or pickling it to make red beans and rice (Natures most nearly perfect food). Taste differences vary here too. We are not classic appreciators of the mirapoix concept because we only use RIPE bell peppers in the "Trinity base" and we serve the kielbasi instead of
andouille.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 12:02 pm
@farmerman,
I'm willing to try a lot of things but not anything you'd like. I'm sorry but your postings on the food threads have never sounded remotely appetising. The only British meal you liked the sound of were jellied eels, and they're something that fills me with dread.
0 Replies

Susmariosep

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 12:53 pm
@farmerman,
Dear Farmerman, you ask me: "Susmariosep, do you say "maths" or more correctly, "math"?

Please ascertain below in Annex.

Annex
Quote:
Post: # 6,484,759 | Susmariosep | Tue 15 Aug, 2017 01:55 pm

I am always after understanding things in existence.

In regard to mathematics I am always reading from scientists-mathematicians how beautiful is math, and how amazing, as with Einstein's telling mankind that he is himself amazed, how math for being something all in man's mind, can and does make sense of things in the realm of physics - something to that effect, just correct me if I get Einstein wrongly.

Okay, this thread is a question from me, but as I said already several times in a2k, when a person who is grown up and thinking, asks a question he must also have his own answer to the question, but he wants to get to know how others answer the same question.

Okay, wanted math experts in a2k, please tell me, What is the way of mathematicians?

You will ask me speciously, What so I mean by what is the way of mathematicians?

Simple, that question is similar to this question, What is the way of chefs?

Okay, math experts here, tell me what is the way of mathematicians?

From my part, though I could expose myself to be an ignorant human, still I am here to learn from fellow humans who know more and better than me, so here is my own thought on what is the way of mathematicians.

Mathematicians see something and seek to figure out how to manipulate quantitative entities or concepts as to be able to arrive at that something, by trial and error, and finally coming to an, at present an equation.

Like this, the mathematician sees one apple and then he sees another apple, so he sees two apples; now he asks himself, how do I manipulate quantitative entities i.e. concepts as to know how come when I see one apple and then another apple, I am seeing now two apples?

After so much trial and error, finally he comes to the equation: 1 + 1 = 2.

What do you say? Oh ye experts of math?

Dear readers here, let us all sit back and await with bated breath to read what the math experts here explain to me and also if you care, you yourselves, the way of mathematicians.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 02:52 pm
@Susmariosep,
I was kidding. but apparently I hit some nerves , so Ill just let you hanging.

So weve merely established that you're not British or Australian. BUT, you still could be CANADIAN eh?
fresco

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 03:08 pm
@farmerman,
Smile Here's a clue. What pagan influenced version of Christianity uses the term 'susmariosep' as a magical incantation to dispel a demon ?
Of course the irony here is that appears to have an opposite effect !
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 04:08 pm
@fresco,
you mean they got 1%er bikers in the Philippines?
fresco

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 06:07 pm
@farmerman,
You got it !
Ponderer

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 06:52 pm
Observe the "way" of an "as necessary ", though admittedly not an expert, mathematician.
Let A/B represent a diagonal of an X
Let C\D represent the opposite diagonal

Let . , • , o , O represent circles of different diameters ( assume o & O are circular )
As a starting point, let lines A/B & C\D intersect @ the centers of A/B & C\D
Let the bottom arc of O contact the top of lines A/B & C\D
Obtain a measurement from the bottom of the "X" to the top of O
Determine 4 intersection points for A/B & C\D required so that the measurement from the bottom of
Never mind. I need a chalkboard.
And so we await an expert mathematician.
( Hey, they don't pay me enough to do this anyway. )
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 08:42 pm
@fresco,
I just sorta assumed he was a long time immigrant to US (because of his use of "MAth" instead of" Maths")
fresco

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 12:13 am
@farmerman,
Could be ! His sycophantic aggressive English (which emulates that of Dicken's slimy Uriah Heap character) suggests a syntactic competence above the average ESL case even though his incompetent semantics give away his native origins.
0 Replies