The Worst Thing Trump has Done.

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 05:52 am
Trump's inability to condemn White Nationalist Violence as White National Violence is, in my opinion, the worst thing he has done. It is worse than refugee kerfuffle. It is worse than the vacations, the healthcare fiasco.

The role of president to set the tone for the nation is a very important role. We need a leader when these thing happens... someone who can clearly say "White Nationalism and racial hatred do not represent America". And Trump has a special obligation to condemn the use of his "Make America Great Again" hats, his trademark, by White Supremacists. He won't even to that.

Instead we got a tepid statement about condemning hatred "from all sides".

This is the biggest failure of Trump as president in a time when we need leadership.

It is the media that is now taking the role traditionally taken by the president, communicating outrage against White Supremacy, presenting a clear case about what it means to be American and helping people see a path forward. Of course this is the media that Trump is attacking. And, this isn't really the media's job...

This should be the job of a president.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 2,355 • Replies: 47

djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 06:16 am
@maxdancona,
I would have said the worst thing Trump has done (as well as 99.9% of all politicians) is survive his first day after being born

this is just one of a seemingly daily parade of gaffes and missteps this dolt has engaged in since being elected

0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 06:18 am
Max, I have disagreed with you in the past, but I have to say I agree with everything you wrote above.

0 Replies

emmett grogan

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 05:24 pm
@maxdancona,

Anthony Scaramucci: Trump Should Have Been ‘Much Harsher’ On White Supremacists

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/anthony-scaramucci-trump-white-supremacists_us_59904b80e4b0909642979383

“You have to call that stuff out,” said the former White House communications director.
By Nick Wing

President Donald Trump’s response to Saturday’s violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, should have been “much harsher” on the white supremacists whose rally sparked the bloodshed, former White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci said on Sunday.

“I think he needed to be much harsher as it relates to the white supremacists,” Scaramucci said on ABC’s “This Week.” “You have to call that stuff out.”

Trump has come under intense criticism for his response to clashes between white nationalist groups ― including members of neo-Nazi and KKK groups ― and counter-protesters, which came to a head Saturday when a 20-year-old Ohio man allegedly plowed his vehicle into a group of anti-racist demonstrators, killing a 32-year-old woman and injuring at least 19 others. The suspect, James Alex Fields Jr., was photographed holding a shield bearing a white supremacist emblem before the deadly attack

“We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides ― on many sides,” Trump said during a bill signing ceremony at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey. “It’s been going on for a long time in our country, not Donald Trump, not Barack Obama. It’s been going on for a long, long time.”

Lawmakers on both sides of the political aisle have called out Trump’s apparent reluctance to specifically mention the white supremacist groups who gathered in Charlottesville for a “Unite the Right” rally. But to Scaramucci ― a Wall Street financier who served less than two weeks in his White House post last month ― the president’s response was textbook Trump.

“He likes doing the opposite of what the media thinks he’s going to do,” he said. “I think he’s of the impression there is hatred on all sides.”

Scaramucci said he “disagreed” with Trump’s statement, but that such differences of opinion would likely do little to shape the message coming out of the White House.

“You’re not going change the president,” Scaramucci said. “He’s going to do what he wants to do, how he wants to do it.” Furthermore, Trump’s advisers are “reluctant to tell him the truth,” he said.

Two Virginia state troopers who were part of the effort to quell the violence in Charlottesville died when their helicopter crashed on the outskirts of the town.

Scaramucci’s brief tenure at the White House ended with his resignation in late July after he gave a bombastic interview to the New Yorker in which he lashed out at various other members of Trump’s inner circle.

In his interview Sunday, Scaramucci fueled recent rumors about a forthcoming shakeup in White House staff, suggesting that chief strategist Steve Bannon was behind some of the leaks that have plagued Trump’s presidency.

“I think at the end of the day, the president knows who are the leakers ― the people undermining his agenda that are serving their own interests,” Scaramucci said. “I think the president knows what he’s going to do.”
Blickers

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 10:17 pm
@emmett grogan,
Quote Scaramucci:
Quote:
“You have to call that stuff out,” said the former White House communications director.

How is he supposed to do that? You don't call out your base.
centrox

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 12:58 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Having ascended, one may kick away the ladder.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 04:38 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Trump's inability to condemn White Nationalist Violence as White National Violence...

This is the guy who attacked Obama for not using the term "radical Islam".
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 06:34 am
@Blickers,
Quote:

It is called Statesmanship.

Obama had to call out his base. He acted like a president. When there was something important for the country he rose above party and led.

I could have written a speech for Trump that would have been a step in that direction. I bet that speech was written. Trump is choosing this path.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 06:37 am
@maxdancona,
Oh! I just caught a snippet off the news. Mike Pence is saying the right thing.... and (if I might say) looking presidential saying it.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 08:32 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The Worst Thing Trump has Done.

Are we talking the last 24 hours?
Are we talking the last couple of weeks?
Are we talking the last few months?
Are we talking the last 12 months?

Virtually every single day there is going to be something new to add to a super long list.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 08:34 am
@Real Music,
I think this particular failure of leadership is the worst of his presidency so far. (I am sad that I have to add the phrase "so far").
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 09:58 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This should be the job of a president.

I did a quick re-read of Article II in the US Constitution and didn't see where this was mentioned as part of the Presidents duties.

The worse thing that happens at these stupid protests is giving them an audience. Counter-protesting provides coverage and news of something no one needs to even know happened.

Now you have people like me that have defend people's rights to be free to speak (I may not agree with what you say, but will fight to the death to defend your right to say it...) in America. Even the stupid assed Governor shouldn't have opened his trap.

If you people would stop giving the haters an audience, they would crawl back in their holes and we wouldn't have the violence we had last Friday.

The anti-protestors brought the violence with them. They got what they expected and deserved. There is no reason the President should be pointing out that one side is more stupid than the other. They are all idiots.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:30 am
(Edit [Moderator]: )

This response was moderated, as were a number of other posts in this thread, for violating A2K rule #9 on personal arguments ad nauseam.

Going forward, please all keep in mind that repeated violations of rule 9 can lead to suspensions:

Quote:
If a personal dispute between members drags on and on and gets in the way of others being able to discuss a topic (or crosses from topic to topic) members may be suspended.

When feeling vexed by another user's posts, always feel free to use the Ignore function.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:33 am
@izzythepush,
(Edit [Moderator]: )

This response was moderated, as were a number of other posts in this thread, for violating A2K rule #9 on personal arguments ad nauseam.

Going forward, please all keep in mind that repeated violations of rule 9 can lead to suspensions:

Quote:
If a personal dispute between members drags on and on and gets in the way of others being able to discuss a topic (or crosses from topic to topic) members may be suspended.

When feeling vexed by another user's posts, always feel free to use the Ignore function.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:36 am
@maxdancona,
The fact the people cross ideological lines... agreeing with one side some of the time, and with another side other times, should be considered a good thing.

This seems to bother Izzy though.
0 Replies

emmett grogan

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 03:03 pm
@Blickers,
Some people don't get that either way Trump calls it, he's losing half of his base. He's had supporters "Heil-ing" all over his various rallies for two years now.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 07:50 pm
Quote:
I would be happy to ignore him if he would just stop following me around.

But isn't the best reason for putting someone on ignore because they won't stop following you around?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 08:26 pm
I would like to get back to the topic now.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2017 07:16 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Instead we got a tepid statement about condemning hatred "from all sides".

This is the biggest failure of Trump as president in a time when we need leadership.

I disagree. I think Trump's initial statement was the correct one.

Of course Nazism is wrong. But Nazis do have the right to Free Speech. When liberals use violence to prevent Nazis from expressing themselves, the bad guys in that situation are the liberals, not the Nazis.

Trump's initial statement merely recognized the reality that the primary villains in this kerfuffle were the liberals. That seems to me to have been the proper response to make.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2017 07:24 am
@oralloy,
I disagree with you Oralloy, and I think you are making a political mistake (as well as being morally wrong).

Do you know how upset you get when conservatives are compared Nazis? I support conservatives most of the time; I believe you shouldn't compare someone to Nazis unless they are actually Nazi's.

These are actual Nazis.

Think about that. If I were a conservative, I would create a big distance here between me and them. If conservatives can't join liberals in a fight against Nazis...