Zee boycott maybe she work non?

MaryM

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 09:46 pm
supply and demand is a bitch:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=518&e=5&u=/ap/france_wine_crisis

In my experience, farmers complain about everything, even in good years, when they complain about the long drive to the bank.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,748 • Replies: 27
No top replies

DimestoreDiva

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 05:17 am
Boycott? What are you talking about?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:18 am
Smart business people who recognize this fact and think about doing something else with their grapes.

2 choices mght be lower their price or make jelly.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:20 am
I wouldn't buy Phrench jelly, either.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:40 am
The up side, of course, is they do have a strong EU.
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 09:07 am
Roger, if you mean the European Union, that thing has more cracks than a squadron of overweight plumbers. If you mean the Euro, yes, and that is part of their problem. French wine costs Americans much more than it did 3 years ago simply because of the exchange rate.

Diva, think freedom fries.

woiyo, exactly.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 09:21 am
Think more like devalued dollar as opposed to boycott working.

I drink a toast each night to freedom with my Gray Goose vodka and Spanish olives commingled in the glass. Gray Goose, by the way, created by an American veteran of D-day, has been the target of several boycotts issued by persons who don't understand international trade.

Oh, and good luck financing the increasing revenue deficit by selling bonds to China and Japan as the dollar's value continues to fall. Who was that Treasury Secretary that Bush ran off early in his first term and what did he say when he was leaving about shoring up the dollar......???
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 09:34 am
The Political Economy of Anti-Americanism
by Russell A. Berman
December 2, 2004

Major foreign policy differences, especially regarding the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, have contributed to the deterioration of relationships between the United States and our traditional allies in Western Europe. There can be no doubt that some European leaders stonewalled the Bush administration on Iraq in order to provide lateral support to the Kerry campaign. With the Bush victory, however, Europe may choose the wiser path of mending fences with Washington.

Yet an anti-American spirit has been unleashed in the European street, and it will be difficult to tame, not only because of foreign policy but also because of economics. Poor economic performance in Europe feeds a politics of resentmentAlthough Europe urgently needs structural reform, it hides behind the smoke screen of anti-Americanism, which is really anticapitalism. Rejecting America because of capitalism, however, means repressing the European tradition of free market thinkers from Adam Smith to Friedrich von Hayek.

Many Europeans believe that their slow economy is the price they must pay for their elaborate welfare state. This, however, turns out to be an illusion. A recent study by the Austrian Labor Council shows that the portion of GDP devoted to the social safety net is greater in the United States than it is in Europe; although European states generously pay out more in welfare benefits, they take much more back through higher tax rates.

At the end of the day, anti-Americanism as a block to economic reform inhibits European prosperity. The more Europeans demonstrate, the farther they fall behind. Good-bye to Lisbon.

Source
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 10:37 am
Joe, your post reminded me of an article I read in The New Yorker about the fact that we're borrowing from China and Japan to pay for their imports. Did you read it too?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 10:41 am
Yes, brainwashed by the liberal press, I admit it. I have to say it got me to wondering if I should take out this variable rate mortgage I am about to strap on for our co-op in the city.....

Joe
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 10:50 am
Drink premium California wines. They are, bottle for bottle, better quality than French anyway. The price of the really outstanding old Burgandys and top quality Bordeaux has always been beyond the reach of most folks.

Hmnn, perhaps that's what motivates those immoral wealthy conspirators who are plotting to take over the world. Make it impossible for regular Americans to enjoy the really great Burgandys, and there will be more for the elite. Whoa, that won't work will it. Most Americans wouldn't know or probably even want a glass of old Pinot, and the wealthy celebrities who are the loudest partisans of the left wing would still be able to bath in champagne.
0 Replies

DimestoreDiva

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 11:26 am
MaryM wrote:
Roger, if you mean the European Union, that thing has more cracks than a squadron of overweight plumbers. If you mean the Euro, yes, and that is part of their problem. French wine costs Americans much more than it did 3 years ago simply because of the exchange rate.

woiyo, exactly.

I still want to know what boycott you are talking about, your non-answer is duly noted however.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:28 pm
DimestoreDiva wrote:
MaryM wrote:

woiyo, exactly.

I still want to know what boycott you are talking about, your non-answer is duly noted however.

You know ... the boycott against all things "French." Don't you listen to the O'Reilly Factor?
0 Replies

DimestoreDiva

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 07:41 pm
Ha ha ha, you must be referring to the non-boycott. I have a life, I don't watch BOR.

Now I remember that is the BOR "boycott" in which he blatantly lied about it having an effect on French trade quoting a non-existent Franch business publication. To claim that BOR had an effect on the French wine market is beyond laughable.

I live in the real world not a parallel universe of rightist faith-based fantasy.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 10:15 pm
This non-boycott? The one that the French Government Tourist Office has said cost over $500M? That non-boycott?

Hmmmmm.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/world/2003-04-30-france_x.htm
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 10:26 pm
DimestoreDiva wrote:
Ha ha ha, you must be referring to the non-boycott. I have a life, I don't watch BOR.

Now I remember that is the BOR "boycott" in which he blatantly lied about it having an effect on French trade quoting a non-existent Franch business publication. To claim that BOR had an effect on the French wine market is beyond laughable.

I live in the real world not a parallel universe of rightist faith-based fantasy.

Methinks you "remembered" all along. :wink:

For someone who claims to not "watch BOR," you sure seem to have a lot of info about him.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 10:27 pm
Quote:
Gray Goose vodka

tell me it's not really so!! Laughing
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 11:08 pm
And Car & Driver and Woman's Day magazines LOL.
0 Replies

DimestoreDiva

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 08:46 am
JustWonders wrote:
This non-boycott? The one that the French Government Tourist Office has said cost over $500M? That non-boycott?

Hmmmmm.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/world/2003-04-30-france_x.htm
figures France will lose
0 Replies

DimestoreDiva

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 08:48 am
Ticomaya wrote:
DimestoreDiva wrote:

Methinks you "remembered" all along. :wink:

For someone who claims to not "watch BOR," you sure seem to have a lot of info about him.

It is not nice to imply posters are lying when you have no basis to do so. AL Franken regularly exposes lying liar Bill O'Reilly and plays sounnd bites demonstrating his lies.
0 Replies