What are your eclipse plans?

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 06:46 pm
My house is not in the direct path of totality but close -- 99.4%. The news keeps reporting that the .6% difference is really pretty significant. Nevertheless, I'll probably enjoy the eclipse from somewhere within walking distance.

They're expecting more than a million people to pour into the state for the big event.

What are you doing during the eclipse?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 7,693 • Replies: 131

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 06:54 pm
@boomerang,
I'll be avoiding it, me with the weird eyes, don't need trouble, but Albuquerque is way off the path anyway. I hope others here enjoy catching it, and describe the event in this thread... I gather it's a speedster, so there may not be time for snacks.

Boom, are you going to try to get a photo?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 06:57 pm
I don't think it will be that big a deal around Houston. I am sure to notice, but not waste much time on it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 07:00 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I imagine they'll be many brilliant photos -- way better than any I could take -- so I think I'll just enjoy it. I'll let NASA do the work.

I have an uneasy relationship to cameras in the digital age that just gets worse as time goes on. When everything is worthy of a photograph, is anything worthy of a photograph?

Thirty years ago I would have wanted to be front and center. Mo hasn't brought it up so I don't think he's feeling the desire to "be THERE". He does get his driver's license next week though....
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 07:19 pm
@boomerang,
Me too - I was most interested in photography by me and others when I just had a old Nikon..
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 07:26 pm
@boomerang,
Adds, I'm happy for Mo and the driver's license. I remember getting mine.. though I didn't have a car for years after that. I could drive the family car once in a while, and later more and more as time passed, quite a relief.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 08:04 pm
It's a huge deal here, Edgar. Daily news. Mostly about how much money people will be dumping into the small towns around the state.

If I had a boat I'd consider watching from a river or the ocean but I just don't want to deal with the streets.

I still love photos and photography, Osso, but I just can't seem to get excited about it anymore. I don't really do Facebook but I've come to love one site on there called The Naturalist's Notebook, full of beautiful, amateur, nature photos -- amateur only in the sense that they are submissions from regular people who observe animals in nature with stunning results.

I'm excited for Mo too. He'll be driving my 1994 Subaru. I'm the original owner and I've taken good care of it via a mechanic that I trust, who assures me it has another 90,000 miles to go. I've put a bit of money into it lately in anticipation of Mo driving, like any worried mom might do. It will be a relief to have him driving, despite the worry, as I've been working a lot lately and scheduling is madness.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 08:09 pm
The main reasons I do Facebook is, my family is on there. It's the only way to get all their news these days. And many ex A2K members are there but no longer here. Olga, Bear and Squinney, and more than I have the wit to name at the moment. Even Francis Paris and Dadpad.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 08:10 pm
@boomerang,
I get you..

good to talk.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 08:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Francis!

I have trouble imagining how I could work things out in Facebook..
lifelong friends, a2k friends. Maybe.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 08:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Really, Edgar? I had no idea. I remember searching for A2K on Facebook and finding a site with nothing posted. What is it called?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 08:19 pm
@boomerang,
Not as a group. Individuals I have 'friended.' If you were on facebook and did a search of just one ex a2k person, whose name you know, making a friend of that person generally opens up the floodgate.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 08:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
Or, if you were to find that a2k on Facebook and click on the name of a person you know, it would give you the option of requesting to be the person's 'friend.' From there it all starts to fill in so long as you pursue it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2017 03:34 pm
@boomerang,
The 0.6% is everything. Trust me, drive into the totality. It will be well worth it and you can thank me later.
Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2017 04:21 pm
Wait . . . Mo is getting his driver's license? But, but . . . he's just a kid!

I've decided not to believe in the eclipse because it won't be that good here. I've learned in the last few months that if you don't believe something, it ain't true. This will be a test run of my new technique.
Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2017 04:35 pm
There was a site I found that says there's a spit of land on the Oregon coast where one can see the total eclipse beginning at 10:15 a.m. Maybe Mo can drive you there.

Now for a little musical interlude:

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2017 07:14 am
@rosborne979,
I'm so tempted to go but I'm thinking wading through a million extra people sounds just awful. They recommend that if you're going to leave on Friday and staying until Tuesday because the roads are going to be one massive traffic jam. Couple that with our heat wave and fires and I just don't know if I can make myself do it.

I might inch my way closer. I know a nice piece of farmland near Mt. Hood that might make a nice viewing spot...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2017 07:17 am
@Setanta,
Yep. He'll be driving. All 6'1" of him. He's a giant who has to duck through our old house doorways.

With all the drunks and stoners who are sure to be on the roads that weekend I might lock him safely up in a tower for the duration.
Lash

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2017 02:04 pm
Two million people are expected to descend on our little berg which sits in a total blackout zone.

My sister canceled a visit because it is scheduled to be pandemonium around here for the weekend preceding the blackout til at least a million of those people clog up the roadways on their way back home. Emergency management has actually told people to gas up Wed or Thursday, get stocked for groceries & have alternate viewing plans.

I'll be at work. We're all just stepping outside. We don't expect many clients that day, but we're not closing.
Ponderer

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 02:09 pm
Warning. Some more sensitive viewers may find this post heartbreaking.
I plan to go across the street to a little patch of woods and visit my cat's grave. I went yesterday and it started sprinkling just as I got there.