What are your eclipse plans?

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 04:54 am
@oralloy,
when you go home, mak sure you ip into the Black Hills, SD saves up its topography for the SW corner.

I have a question to ask after youve observed total eclipse. Just after the "wedding Ring" effect you will see the shadow "bear down on you", Id like if anybody who observes this phenom, please describe your feeling or those fleeting seconds.

I saw one totality in my life an I still remember just before totality as the most interesting. Once again, Im interested in anyone will share their feelings.

Good times man. I admire any of you guys who stuck with a plan to see "the whole show"
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 05:57 pm
Occom Bill is in position on a farm near Goreville Illinois. Has a big group of friends joining him (a fair batch is there already - beat the worst traffic). Wish I felt comfortable travelling to the US. That was an invitation I would have liked to accept.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 07:08 pm
Plan made at the last minute. I'm 300 miles south of the totality band and I hear on the radio today that seeing a 90% eclipse is like sex without a happy ending.

so I gassed up Euphoria (an RV-8 airplane) today and me & M will rendezvous with the totality tomorrow around noon over Casper, WY. No landing, just watching from the air then a return to Salida,CO.

Reminds me of that song. Suddenly I feel so vain...
rosborne979

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 07:17 pm
@Leadfoot,
Nice plan. Don't think I've heard of anyone else planning on seeing it from the air. Let us know how it goes, I'm curious.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 07:34 pm
@farmerman,
Interesting! I never thought about being able to see the approach ( or the receding) of the shadow. I'll be watching from about 6000 ft AGL so it should be easier to see from there. I'll make a point to watch for it.
oralloy

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 08:54 pm

Last minute weather forecast:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/08/20/total-solar-eclipse-weather-forecast-as-of-aug-20/
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 09:13 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
when you go home, mak sure you ip into the Black Hills, SD saves up its topography for the SW corner.

I'm mulling a short detour to see Devil's Tower or taking a scenic route through the badlands in South Dakota. But it's also going to be a long drive back so I might not.

I'm not too interested in Mt. Rushmore I don't think.

farmerman wrote:
I have a question to ask after youve observed total eclipse. Just after the "wedding Ring" effect you will see the shadow "bear down on you", Id like if anybody who observes this phenom, please describe your feeling or those fleeting seconds.

That's only possible if you are up high (say on a mountain) and can see the moon's shadow on the ground below, or are near a mountain and can see the moon's shadow rushing along the side of the mountain. I won't be up high. I am not sure how near I will be to a mountain. It may work out for me, or may not.

I'm not sure how to describe a feeling. I might be best able to describe how the phenomena appears, if I see it.

I have to get to bed now. I'm in a hotel in Buffalo WY and am getting up VERY early to drive down to Casper and then up Wind River Valley.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 02:27 am
@Leadfoot,
when I saw the 1989 eclipse when I was working in Argentina, we went over to th Atacama(in Chile) near the observatory area an the shadow was neat. You should be able to experience the approaching shadow and Let us know what you feel. Everyone I was with had the same feelings.. .I just went a few posts up and saw that youd be flying into it SO thats really cool Ive been told.
Lash

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 09:58 am
If I take pics of the process, sneak a random peek to line up the shots, and click with tiny or no glances, will I damage my phone? Eyes?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 10:01 am
We get a partial, here. It's partly cloudy. Me and Rocky are staying in until it passes.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 10:13 am
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/21/544239796/live-coverage-follow-the-solar-eclipse

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/21/544239796/live-coverage-follow-the-solar-eclipse?post=listen-to-the-eclipse-live-thanks-to-26

Quote:
You Can Listen To The Eclipse, Too

A composer in San Francisco has devised a way to listen to the eclipse, no special ear protection necessary.

NPR’s classical music blog, Deceptive Cadence, explains how Wayne Grim and the Kronos Quartet are doing it:

“At the sun's core, subatomic particles smash into each other. … Photons from the fusion, captured by telescopes in Casper, Wyo., are converted to pixels. ... Grim's special software recasts each pixel's digital fingerprint into unique tones. Kronos will perform with the sounds of the sun, adapting as the eclipse comes and goes.”

The show starts at 12:15 p.m. ET.

be safe everyone
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 10:14 am
@edgarblythe,
same thing here
keeping the little dog in til 4/4:40 edt
lmur

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 10:23 am
@ehBeth,
Thank you!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 10:29 am
@ehBeth,
weve got 2 little budgies and about 15 chickens (who run free). They all usually sense light dimmage waay before humans. They start getting ready for bed around 6PM in summer and around 3PM in winter.

PS-if you have a welding mask, make sure its rated at #14 or above . Dont get one of those #10's that they sell at Tractor Supply. 14 glass used to be hrd to make .
rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 01:43 pm
Success in Paducah. Hazy but clear. Beautiful.
Lash

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 01:54 pm
Wow! Will be back w/ details
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 02:34 pm
@farmerman,
It got like late afternoon n the fall. The chickens all made thir way back to their little building and began their evening ablutions. The budgies shut up and I covered em for about an hour. (When our 78% was over--I uncovered em nd they began screaming for breakfast)

One of em I taught to say my signature saying"ARE YOU SHITTIN ME?"

Im curous whether any one saw the approaching umbra (either real flat land, ocean , or from a mt)?
Also, I wonder whether anyone has and "off grid" solar power data math.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 02:42 pm
@farmerman,
What to say? the tale of the chickens and budgies and the eclipse is wonderful..

Me, I stayed inside, taking care of my skimpy retinas. Did see the NASA photos that Region Philbus posted.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 02:46 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Presently wondering if our president who was staring at the eclipse will suffer any visual consequences..
I read somewhere that the eye problems may not start for a few hours.
boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 04:54 pm
We did not get the grand TA-DA but it was pretty fun to watch the eclipse with a hundred or so of my friends and neighbors while only traveling a half block from home.

I did not get very dark but the light was weird and amazing and... different... eerie... unnatural.

Off to look at the NASA stuff!
0 Replies