where in the world is dyslexia?

steissd

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 09:37 am
I would go to any place, since I have never been there. But I do not know which places in the USA has Dyslexia already visited, so I cannot advise the particular destination. By all means, the USA is so large, that human life is too short to visit all her places of interest.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 09:38 am
pifka i thought about Belize but i also considered hurricane season!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 10:28 am
Oh. Hurricane Season? Hmmm. Well, like I said, Washington can hardly be beat for September.

I understand that trekking in Nepal, et al. is best done in September.

What about London again? Can you ever tire of London? You could do some wonderful walkabouts, touring gardens.

My Love Affair with England: A Traveler's Memoir
by Susan Allen Toth
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 10:49 am
I love traveling in the fall; everybody else has gone back to school and the fares are all low...

With your previous destinations in mind I'll suggest:

on the continent--

Alaska (look into a fishing resort in/around Ketchikan or Juneau if that's your thing)

Mexico (Pacific coast; Puerta Vallarta in particular; inexpensive, few language barriers but you're right about the hurricanes)

across the pond--

Spain (especially Barcelona; you didn't mention having been there before. I'd go back tomorrow and stay as close to La Rambla as I could get)

Italy (Rome, Venice, Sorrento, Florence in that order were my favorites; there are lots of Italiophiles in here so I will politely defer to them)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 11:13 am
PDid, I second your suggestion on Barcelona. It's an amazing place for burrying yourself in their culture and architecture. Nice choice. c.i.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 12:06 pm
Well - how about my favourite place of all (Apart from Oz, of course)- Andalusia. Smile

That little corner of Spain is something so special - IMHO has it all over Barcelona, although that too is interesting.

Seville, Cordoba and Granada - just brilliant and filled with relics of the Moorish empire - there's nothing else like it (except in a smaller way, Toledo - Spain, not Ohio!)

The mosque in Cordoba, a squillion buildings in Seville, and the Alhambra in Granada - the place that initially caught my interest, when someone gave me a book of photos from around the Mediterranean, and I thought I'd never seen such a building, such gardens, such statuary.

It's relatively easy to get to (fly into Madrid and get the train - or fly into Seville), to get around on public transport; not expensive (espec for American dollar!); an intersting life style, good food and great ice creams, You can go to Jerez for the sherry. Andalusia is the home of flamenco dancing. I'd be back there in a flash. (in fact.....)

My whole interest in Spain (and I've now been there several times) started from that book - thanks Henry!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 12:43 pm
margo, Spain is one of those special countries where one can experience different cultures and environment by visiting the four corners and central parts of the country. You speak of the south, but the north and west of Madrid also has some very interesting places for a visit. To name a few, I would include Avila, Salamanca, and Valladolid. c.i.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 03:28 pm
ok boys and girls based on your kindly responses and my own biases i have narrowed it down to (not in order) Barcelona-Amsterdam-London- first 2 weeks in sept. final destination undetermined HELP!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 03:34 pm
Bali, number 1 place in the world. Hope there never is another bombing - not only there; but, anywhere! Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 03:35 pm
(Just thinking that I live in-between all these places, the airport is jusst 15 min away, fare from Denver is less than 1,000$, a thermal spa is 3 min from our door ... )

Barcelona, if you want to stay all the time at one place (and if you disregard the sentence in brackets above!).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 03:49 pm
Walter - tell me more about that thermal spa!

(please and thank you)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 03:50 pm
All excellent choices; the only one I've been to is Barcelona, so here's you a coupla links:

LINK

LINK

LINK
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 03:52 pm
dys, Now that you have narrowed your choices down to three, I would suggest that you go to a search engine and check on all three for the things you are looking for. London has the pubs where you can meet people and eat some down to earth food, Amsterdam is a city with canals with their unique architecture, and Barcelona also has unique architecture made famous by Gaudi, the Picasso and Jean Miro museums, the waterfront, and the old section of town. Their metro is very good too. c.i.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 04:01 pm
ehBeth (and dys, of course):

Culture included with your cure

(The local link to my village on that site doesn't work. You can get some more information, we have two more spas within a short radius, when going to the county's main page of Walter's County)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 08:05 pm

Well, I've been to all, and would probably put my hand up for - ta da....Barcelona

My visit was brief, and there looks to be heaps to explore. The thing I like most about Spain is that it is different. The buildings are different, the people are different, the food is great (try saying that in London at anything less than a small fortune!). It's a different life to Oz, anyway!

London is great; Amsterdam is interesting and quite diverse and very Dutch; Barcelona is fascinating, exciting, exotic, unexpected, full of joie de vivre..... Razz (and probably cheaper than the other two.)

Well done, Pdiddie for the suggestion! What's the prize?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 08:08 pm
margo, Have you had a chance to visit the "erotic museum" in Barcelona? Wink c.i.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 08:11 pm
c.i.
Unfortunately, no. My time in Barcelona was very limited - and I had severe bronchitis into the bargain.

Climbing the tower of La Sagrada Familia when I couldn't breathe, was, in itself, a memorable experience (but you sure wouldn't want to do it again!)

I got so sick I ended up in hospital in Germany!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 08:22 pm
margo, Do you remember a restaurant on the right side corner and across the street in front of La Sagrada Familia? I think it was a chicken restaurant, but the name escapes me. There were some kids there in the park trying to pickpocket the tourists. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 08:35 pm
We walked down to a restaurant named Siete Portes--at the very end of La Rambla and not far from the monument to Cristobal Columbo (Christopher Columbus)--for paella and sangria. On the way back we strolled through the Barrio Gotic (Gothic Quarter) and heard a band in the square singing "You're Sixteen" in perfect English.

All of Gaudi's work in the city is stunning.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 08:42 pm
PDid, That gothic area is a great place to make yourself feel you've gone back couple hundred years in time. I love that place. I used to sit at a coffee shop across the street from the cathedral to watch the world go by. That large square is used for many activities by the locals too. Great place. I was sitting in the Opera Cafe one day, and two young English ladies sat at the next table. They seemed so excited to be in Barcelona, and their youthful energy was just bubbling. c.i.
0 Replies