where in the world is dyslexia?

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 07:18 pm
ok boys and girls its time to book my vacation and i have no ideas. in the past 18 months i have been to England (mostly London)Portugal, Australia, and Spain. In the past i have been to every country in europe, north africa, middle east, India. So where ever i go this time i have probably been before. I am open to suggestions and would perfer a 10 day stay in one city/area. so keep in mind i am a 58 yr old single male traveling alone and give me some ideas while i still have time to book a flight and hotel.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,605 • Replies: 46
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 07:20 pm
Looks like you've been missing out on South America....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 07:22 pm
South America.

I suggest (in order)

Brazil
Peru
Argentina
Venezuela
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 07:29 pm
Mmmm.. Trout fishing in Argentina... <drool>

But umm.. Is there a definite timeframe for travel?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 07:30 pm
Because Carnaval is coming up in Brazil.....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 07:39 pm
time frame thinking Sept but open to ideas
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 07:53 pm
China, Thailand, Vietnam - and, of course, Australia -where you can't possibly have seen enough!
September is a magic time in Australia!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 08:36 pm
So change your time frame to late March/early April and drop in on us in Florida.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 08:43 pm
dys, Your question is too general. Can you provide us with some detail as to 1) what you enjoy, 2) does cost matter, and 3) are you looking for museums and/or scenery? c.i.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 09:05 pm
c.i. cost always matters but i enjoy travel, if i never see another museum or cathedral again it would be too soon, mostly i enjoy meeting people and doing walkabouts. i have done all the tour stuff in the past and that holds no interest. i usually look for 3 star hotels but depending on the location (at Torremolinos Espana i got a 5 star just to be on the beach) but i took the local bus into the hills to a small farming village where i spent several days at a 4 room inn and loved it. the only real city i like (very much) is london.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 09:42 pm
dys, Garnered from all the travel brochures I receive almost daily, the Costa del Sol area is one of the most inexpensive to relax and enjoy beach and the people for ten days or more. Thailand is another destination with low cost, and friendly people. They have some great beach resorts too, like Ko Samui. Too bad Bali is no longer a safe destination, because their scenery is one of the most beautiful, and the people there are very friendly too. London happens to be one of my favorite destinations, and I've spent in total about two months there in about six visits. I enjoy their museums and the theater district. If you haven't tried an African safari, I would highly recommend it. c.i.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 09:53 pm
c.i. i was just at Costa Del Sol (Torremolinos) a year ago, now looking at Amsterdam but keep the ideas coming in.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 10:16 pm
dys, Actually, Amsterdam is a great choice, because everybody speaks English there. Even if you're not look to visit museums, Anne Frank's house, and the van Gogh musuem must surely be of interest. The red light district is fun to walk through, and you can always visit the Heinekin brewery for some freebies. c.i.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 10:38 pm
c.i. yeah looking good also checking Copenhagen
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 11:09 pm
It's right between Hysteria and Paranioa in the State of Uncertainty :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 11:19 pm
I liked Copenhagen, but the people didn't seem as friendly there. They do have communal baths, the Tivoli, and the mermaid there. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 11:26 pm
Do you want to leave the country?

Washington state is absolutely fabulous in September. The San Juans are wonderful places to sail, kayak and/or relax; there's a good 3-Star hotel in Seattle that I can now recommend, and September is also the BEST time for hiking around in the Cascades -- the Paradise Inn is not fancy, but does let you stay up in the high meadows.

If you are set on leaving the country... I adored Scotland a couple of September's ago... had gorgeous weather, met friendly folk in pubs.

September is just a great month to travel almost anywhere.

PS -- I didn't like Torremolinos much, but I liked Torrox (one of the hill towns just above the Medi, Nerja, and points east. London is also my favorite city.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 12:34 am
Dyslexia

Amsterdam is really interesting.

Even if you don't want to see museums (and who would? Smile ), may I tell you about one of my highlights of Amsterdam - a toilet!

I'm a cat person (who would have guessed?), and there's a place in Amsterdam called Kattinkabinet (spelling?). This is a sort of museum/gallery of cat things, paintings, etc. I don't remember exactly where it was but it was near the Dam - at least within walking distance. (I could look it up, but laziness rules!)

While I was there, I needed to go to the loo, and was directed to this chamber. Inside was the most elabaorate toilet, all in wonderful Delft pottery (or similar) and rosewood. An absolute throne room non pareil! A real thing of beauty, and useful too. I have never seen anything to compare with it, as a toilet, either before or since. It seemed almost criminal to deface this masterpiece with such a mundane activity, but needs must! But I took a photograph - not while in use, mind you!

So for all the beauties of the Rijksmuseum, (which I found bloody gloomy - until I reminded myself that I didn't have to be there, and left,) one of margo's most lasting memories of Amsterdam is a Dutch dunny (to use Australian vernacular!)

The other memory that remains is of a performance at Concertgebouw.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 01:46 am
And what about finding some destination in the USA? Have you been everywhere in your great country, Dyslexia?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 09:35 am
Where would you go in the USA, Steissd?

Hi Margo! A lovely loo? London has annual awards for best loo, did you know?

I've heard, Dys, that Belize can't be beat. Have you ever been there?
0 Replies