( Early detection of prostate cancer )
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,619 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 02:52 pm
Seems like a good idea to get the operation. Many men go on and lead active political lives afterward.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 02:56 pm
The procedure is to be performed at Johns Hopkins. I would have thought the surgery would be performed at the MGH or the BWH.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 03:09 pm
"The procedure is to be performed at Johns Hopkins. I would have thought the surgery would be performed at the MGH or the BWH."
thanks for sharing that, i know i was concerned as to the specific hospital. i suppose there is a hidden political agenda in his choice of hospitals?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 04:27 pm
Are there different hospitals for Republicans and Democrats in the USA?
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 04:37 pm
Kerry should be applauded for the attention that he is drawing towards this malady and treatment.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 06:27 pm
My Dad went through it last year. We were all scared, but he came through with flying colors. Early detection is key.

The discussion on the hospital is tied to location. Johns Hopkins is in Maryland, the others are in Massachusetts where he governs. The MGH and BWH are both state of the art hospitals.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 06:45 pm
Johns Hopkins is an internationally acredited and reknowned research and teaching facility. If I were tro be able to choose where I might be treated for a gunshot wound or traffic injuries, the emergency room of any metropolitan hospital would be perhaps just one notch down from a US Combat Hospital. For prosrate surgery, it would be difficult to make a better choice than John's Hopkins while remaining within reasonable distance of Kerry's home. I think it was a wise and prudent choice on Kerry's part, and really as a non-issue.

The matter of being known to have had cancer, even if "Cured", may be more inconvenient to Kerry than perhaps might have been the cancer itself. Still, a demonstrated full, "Better-than-ever" recovery could benefit him greatly. It is certainly no less an issue than Lieberman's or Cheney's health issues.

timber
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 06:50 pm
Timber, did you know that 1 in 10 men will have prostate cancer if they're older than 60. The options for dealing with it are very effective and lifestyle change and stress don't play much into a post-op recovery.

It shouldn't be viewed in the same light as heart disease. What's up with Leiberman?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 05:14 am
If he were to have the surgery at the MGH or the BWH, two of the best hospitals in the USA, the whole American population would know what had transpired in the OR within minutes of termination of the procedure. Lots of gossip !

I chose Hopkins for secrecy.

Interesting...a few days ago, Kerry was asked about his health and he told the reporter, his health was perfect. The disease was diagnosed in December.

Interesting developments.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 05:16 am
Leiberman and Ms Clinton are planning...planning...planning!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 09:51 am
BREAKING NEWS: Dr. Patrick Walsh, John Kerry's surgeon, said that the senator is out of surgery and is resting in the recovery room. The doctor said that there were no complications and that the cancer looked to be contained. Kerry will be out of the hospital possibly by Saturday. -- Developing

~from boston.com
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 10:40 am
Kerry will be out in 3-4 days post-surgery.

Lahey Clinic in Burlington Ma requires their prostate surgeries to stay in hospital for 7 days post-surgery.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 01:38 pm
Kerry doesn't realize how terrible he's going to feel post-op.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 01:39 pm
Dad was in MGH for just a few days. Had a bag strapped to his thigh for weeks - yech.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 02:03 pm
New Haven wrote:
The procedure is to be performed at Johns Hopkins. I would have thought the surgery would be performed at the MGH or the BWH.

Boston is justifiably famous for it's teaching hospitals which are at the forefront of modern medicine in many areas.

Johns Hopkins is also among the finest hospitals in the country.
It might boil down to something like the location of a particular surgeon or the proximity to Washington D.C.

Incidentally, Rhode Island's outgoing governor (Almond) also chose Johns Hopkins and that same surgeon for HIS prostate surgery last year.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 02:19 pm
That surgeon is famous for sparing the nerves so that the patient doesn't end up impotent and incontinent.
0 Replies