Rats & mice!

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 10:57 am
Help! I'm really freaked out by this. My baited mousetraps for the last two mornings have held HALF EATEN mice. Does this mean that the little mouse buddies are eating their own because of the peanut butter smell or do I have a rat? I have a 3 yr. old daughter and I really need an answer to this one soon.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,500 • Replies: 29
No top replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 04:13 pm
Check you daughter's teeth for bits of fur. Floss between mollars, that's where patches of fur are most likely to get stuck. The skin is kind of rubbery, and looks a bit like chewed stake if it's been in your mouth over night, but will have a definite mousy smell. That's important, in case she chewed the fur off.

Hope that helps. If the skeletons of the mice are no longer in tact, you could also find evidence where the broken bones would have cut into her gums.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 04:50 pm
You have something carnivorous--fortunately on a small scale. Are you rural or urban? Could you be supporting a ferret or a weasel?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 05:02 pm
Well, here's my thoughts, but I don't know a lot about mice.

Rats are scavengers, so I don't see why mice couldn't be.

There are other rodents that eat their dead (like gerbels) so I don't see why mice wouldn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if additional mice are doing the dirty work.

I've lived in a house infested with rats, and rats are VERY loud, so you would easily hear them at night, rustling through garbage cans and such, even if you were a few rooms away. I've chased 'em with knives, drowned em, and suffocated 'em (that's sounds redundant I guess...). Anyway, rats in the kitchen make as much noise as a dog in the kitchen. Sleep in the next room, and if you don't hear anything, you don't have rats.
0 Replies

SmokingFire

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 05:04 pm
Do you have any cats by any chance?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 05:31 pm
You don't have have an infestation of baby crocodiles or REALLY big cockroaches?
0 Replies

bparmley36

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 11:58 pm
Thanks so much for all the responses.....lighthearted as well as serious. I really needed the laugh. I'm in a very rural location on 18 previously undeveloped acres. I do have an outdoor tomcat but he's obviously NOT doing his job.....unless he just has too many to contend with. As far as a weasel or ferret are concerned, I don't have either one THAT I'M AWARE OF ANYWAY. It is entirely possible the mice are eating their dead as I haven't seen or heard any evidence of rats.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 12:00 am
What a bunch of bigots!
0 Replies

bparmley36

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 12:04 am
What a wise guy! LOL
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 12:11 am
Rats got feelings, too. I was hoping indignation would pass for an answer, but I can see it didn't fly.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 04:17 pm
Hey, Roger the Rodent! Write to your congressman!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 05:02 pm
I don't waste my time writing to those rats in Washington!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 05:08 pm
roger wrote:
I don't waste my time writing to those rats in Washington!

Well, try one of the weasels in the Senate!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 09:42 pm
They friends of yours, or something? I mean, it sounds like you know 'em real well.
0 Replies

bparmley36

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 06:49 am
Well glory be! Yesterday morning's little critter was whole and this morning the trap was empty so hopefully we've gotten rid of the nasty little carnivore.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 01:59 pm
Maybe you just caught ther perpetrator. Or maybe the last critter.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 02:23 pm
You just have a smart, fat rodent running around. In a few days it will reproduce asexually and you will have an infestation again.

Also, you have infinitessimally raised the average IQ of all mice on the planet; thanks a lot.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:26 pm
Tribbles, you've got tribbles!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/st/gallery/images/340/tostribble3.jpg

Contact Star Fleet Command on sub-space.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:54 am
I highly doubt it was other mice that were eating them. If it was, there would have had to be a swarm of them to eat that much overnight. I tend to think it was something else that got to them.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:25 am
Hope they catch it - whatever it is. This whole thread has been just horrible!
0 Replies