Major influences on "modern" art?: Your thoughts.

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:38 am
Somehow the image of defecating on a Kinkade made me smile.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:47 am
Me too.

and,

You too, Glight!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 12:22 pm
I just re-named my toilet. It was Marcel; it's now Thomas. Thanks.

The topic of colorist or "colorism" would be a great thread. I see a colorist as one for whom color is principal. The color doesn't have to be sensational, but it must be central to the message. I think of Baziotes, Stamos and Avery as producers of wonderfully subtle color, but can I consider them colorists? I'd like to go beyond the obvious, like Rothko and Albers in this consideration.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 12:40 pm
As I opened the beautifully wrapped package and then saw the box with the mug with the cottage with tinkling lights, TK cookies and candy attached you guys were the first thing I thought of.

When I looked up Diana was eagerly awaiting my reaction. I think I covered pretty well.

I was afraid to eat the candy and cookies as they were made in China as is the mug.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 01:36 pm
Matisse is likely the most famous colorist. It's not just being unafraid of color but balancing the chroma on the picture plane. It become a significant part of the composition as a visceral excitement to the eye. As far as the use of color as dominating the painting, I'll take De Kooning any day.

Well, naturally the "all-American" Kinkade would have his mug made in China.

It's appropriate that it was accompanied by what is likely sickening sweet cookies and candy.

And now I pass from the year's end bashing of Mr. TK -- his success his his own personal revenge on the public.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 01:49 pm
JLNobody wrote:

The topic of colorist or "colorism" would be a great thread. .

It would - start one?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 01:57 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Matisse is likely the most famous colorist. It's not just being unafraid of color but balancing the chroma on the picture plane. It become a significant part of the composition as a visceral excitement to the eye. As far as the use of color as dominating the painting, I'll take De Kooning any day.

Well, naturally the "all-American" Kinkade would have his mug made in China.

It's appropriate that it was accompanied by what is likely sickening sweet cookies and candy.

And now I pass from the year's end bashing of Mr. TK -- his success his his own personal revenge on the public.

I wouldn't go so far as to call matisse a colorist. He, a fauvist, mostly used paint straight out of the tube.

a colorist is someone who has sensitivity to color and color handling in their work, and you can't get very much specificity when you don't make the colors yourself.

Color was important in his work, but he wasn't a colorist.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 02:07 pm
I absolutely agree with your definition and reservations Portal.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 02:13 pm
Good, Portal Star. I wouldn't disagree with Lightwizard's proposition, but I like that you have qualified it. He now has a stimulus for "refining" or elaborating his position--if he will. I have little to say in this regard. I consider myself on this point to be in the pedagogical stage. I'm hoping to develop a clear position after seeing what the more advanced among us have to say.

Vivien, I resist starting threads. It reminds me too much of making up essay exams, something I detested.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 02:38 pm
Laughing

I hadn't noticed but you don't do you - I'll do one Very Happy
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 02:44 pm
Great. Thanks.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 02:48 pm
I'd be interested in reading some references re
precise definitions of colourist.....

Yes, I would have thought that a colourist
is adept at, as LW says: " balancing the chroma on the picture plane. It become a significant part of the composition as a visceral excitement to the eye."

and as Portal says"a colorist is someone who has sensitivity to color and color handling in their work."

Happy New Year everyone!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 02:49 pm
thread started: here
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:16 pm
Don't just take my word for it -- here's a Google search of pioneer colorist Matisse:

COLORIST MATISSE

The fauves were colorist and the simple definition the word is the wide use of color. Many classical painters were "colorist" but, of course, they consistantly muted their colors for realistic effect.

A colorist is an artist where color is the single most important part of their art.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:28 pm
yep my research bears you out LW

see the thread
oh Happy New Year all
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 05:24 pm
Of course, LW's source isn't necessarily gospel. But I think he's right.
It would seem that, mininally, the colorist considers color to be the most important aspect of his painting (Portal Star's "single most important part of their art" and LW's "the wide use of color") Regarding Matisse, LW identifies color as "a significant part of the composition as a visceral excitement to the eye." I think that's on the mark, both for Matisse and colorism. I would think, however that almost all artists would want to use color (as well as line, value, composition, etc.) as a visceral excitement to the eye--even when muted for realistic or aesthetic effect. Well put, LW. BTW, I would rank Diebenkorn up there with deKooning regarding color.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:42 pm
colorist is , to me, a meaningless term. I see DeMuth as a colorist but Mattisse. the fauve was just a pejorative like Impressionist but Matisse's work colorist?
why? or is the mere redefinition of a spectrum the basis for being a colorist.Baziotes was a colorist but his work , to me, was kinda muddy, in his zeals to produce something he wound up mixing too many colors and got lots of browns instead of green skies or red backgrounds.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:15 pm
JL, some of us start threads at the drop of a hat, sans forethought or post thought, more as an expressionistic gesture than a formal construct...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 09:59 am
-ist's and -ism's aside, there is no art movement designated "colorism" and it's difficult to assign the word colorist to an individual artist. My art history professors would likely disagree and actually H. H. Arnason rather avoids the term in "History of Modern Art." Of course, one could always try to Google: non-colorist Matisse and see if there's any hits.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 11:23 am
I was kidding with the word "colorism" - it was a segue to an old abuzz art thread fellow, colorific...
0 Replies