Major influences on "modern" art?: Your thoughts.

shepaints

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 11:06 am
Fascinating Miklos....I would have liked to have been at your lecture.....I wonder whether a global audience will have any kind of negative impact on the kind of contemporary art that is produced.....in terms of diluting and homogenizing it.....

Many contemporary artists, of course, have long been practising beyond the material....the dematerialization of art....

Wishing all who particpate on a2k and particularly on the art and philosophy threads a very kewl yewl!!!......
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 01:29 pm
Same to you, Shepaints. I wonder what will prevail as successful art for the global audience. Pop music may have some contributions to the common taste, or emerging common taste which it will help to create. But what about aesthetic values like those of western Modern Art? I suspect, but this may simply be a projection of my own taste, that other parts of the globe will take up values we have given up. I hope so. It grieves me to see the demise of modern art, not to mention abstract expressionism. I guess I am just fixated on those forms since they contain the aesthetic values of the prime of my life. I am particularly repelled by the "dematerialization of art" if, by that Shepaints is referring to the "pure" form of conceptual art (as opposed to the benign conceptual significance of tangible art). If art is not sensual it is nothing but weak philosophy.

Lightwizard, can you (or anyone) comment on how the "illusion of motion" is related, if at all, to the design principle of keeping the eye of the viewer in motion (or guiding the motion of the viewer's eye)? It is one thing to create the illusion of something actually moving on the canvas (e.g., the nude "descending" the staircase) and the movement of the viewer's eye when seeing an otherwise static Malevich or cubist work.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 02:13 pm
JLNobody wrote:
If art is not sensual it is nothing but weak philosophy.

Now there's a sentence I'm going to remember.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 02:22 pm
I would guess there isn't any singular compositional technique that doesn't overlap over another and compliment another as well. The goal of any painter is to excite the viewer's focus and in nearly all cases to encourage the eye to wander over the picture plane. That same thing is accomplished by Canaletto in his Venice cityscapes as well as Raushchenberg which in a unique way of much of his work are also also cityscapes. Both are interested in setting down what they see as filtered through their thought processes. Of course, some would find Canaletto as more "frozen in time" imagery but somehow, especially after seeing them in person, I was astounded that the boats and people did seem to be moving or, at least, he created the desire to imagine them in motion. Photography did not entirely kill representational or objective art -- it was merely another, granted more technological, medium to communicate an image. John Constable is a key artist in art history in his striving to really implant his own emotional response to a naturalistic image. Although painted to depict reality, he really did depict motion by the poses of his human and animal subjects and the sweep of the sky and branches of trees. Talk about motion, he'd move architectural subjects like a church into a view where they don't exist (although they were almost certainly nearby). Then there's pure motion, something the futurist were exploring. The Op artists love to entertain the eye and mind to see three dimensions on a flat plane and respond to pure geometry and color. Painting and sculpture have to be a form of entertainment and only a few artists in each decade comes up with imagery that transcends being just entertainment.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 03:24 pm
As usual, Lightwizard, that was more than I hoped for. I will remember the phrase "...imagery that transcends being just entertainment."
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 02:24 am
you are amazing Lightwizard! Do you look at reference texts while you write or is it all in your head?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:42 am
Cribbing? Moi? No, not on your life. Took art history twice through in college and as I was totally interested in the subject it stuck well. I do pick up new or forgotten information by occasionally getting back into my library of art books or watching the VOOM satellite Gallery Channel which is really superlative programming. It did prompt me to focus back into John Constable because of their recent half-hour devoted to the artist but what I saw and heard entered in here as my own interpretation as relavant to this discussion. Rubens as well as Valasquez could also be cited for creating movement within his canvasses but more with figures, excepting paintings like Valasquez' "A View of Toledo." This opposed to Vermeer or Rembrandt where the figures seem frozen in a moment.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 11:20 am
amazing, I am pretty useless as remembering information unless I read it a few times. Pretty boring, but that is how my brain is. Thinking about too many things at once or something.
But I say that and brains can hold the most amazing things that appear when you least expect it, it is usually trite though. Embarrassed
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 07:36 pm
My sister-in-law bought me a gigantic Thomas Kincaid coffee mug for Christmas. I hope it does not influence me.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:31 pm
Not a chance, Joanne. I have every confidence in you.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:56 pm
What's next? A Thomas Kinkade toilet bowl?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 11:56 pm
Think of it, tinkle lights...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 12:05 am
As in tinkle, tinkle little star? or You've got to tinkle whereever you are?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 12:12 am
Well, doesn't TK have twinkle lights around his cottages? It's a theme... oh, a decorating scheme...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 12:25 am
Sure, right.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:09 am
please get back on point I beseech ye. 'He who shall not be named, the Yog SOthoth of art" was all over the place in every Hallmark chcochkie shop this Christmas. It further depressed the hell out of me.

Because of one of my old teachers being so named, define colorist. Im somewhat confused. I have some papers of Baziotes from a workshop he was in with Twombly and some other painters before Baziotes death. The topic of colorist came up but , like "Mannerism" I have a feeling it can mean anythhing to anyone but I wanna hear from you guys.

I gtt some oil paintings for Christmas, can you believe it? I ave no idea what to do with them
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:01 am
ossobuco wrote:
Think of it, tinkle lights...

twinkle as you tinkle?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:07 am
I think it would be a Kinkade reproduction inside the bowl and the windows light up as one does number one or number two. It would give new meaning to you light up my life.

Also, only the men doing number one would actually see it light up. Oh, well, it's a man's world after all?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:11 am
(Hey, but, it would encourage me anyway to close the toilet seat, lid and all).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:08 am
I'm not sure if I'll ever look at Tidy Bowls the same way again...

ok, ok, colorists, colorism... I'm listening. Where is Colorific, anyway?
0 Replies