Major influences on "modern" art?: Your thoughts.

JLNobody

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 07:38 pm
Duchamp smart? How dumb must a guy be to install his urinal upside down?

Laughing
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:02 pm
Surely, you recognize this inverted display of Duchamp's ensign as an international signal of distress? Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:20 pm
Howling...

on the 500, it is to ward off various playful new members, sadly needed.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 10:28 pm
I do consider Picasso's "Desmoiselles d'Avignon" a revolutionary image in the same company as Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring" and the Eiffel Tower. However, Picasso's influence just doesn't show up in much more than Picasso's later work. Picasso created what might be called a cul-de-sac in the road forward. It really all depends on what one conceives as the state-of-the-art in the mid to late eras of the 20th Century. Historians have a viewpoint and it's kind of difficult to rewrite what they have written. In that way, the urinal was the handwriting on the bathroom wall, hey -- what?

I've written this before, of course, and to be influenced or in any way emulate Picasso's work would only end up looking like the artist was copying Picasso. There's a young girl whose name escapes me at the moment who has been commercially successful doing just that. There are enough amateur collectors out there to support such a phenomena.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 11:08 pm
Yeah but for how long? I've seen her work, colorful and indicative of talent, but what can a child do beyond purely decorative work? It's like expecting a youthful chess whizz to also write profound philosophy or literature. I say this despite the fact that I'd like to be able to paint like a child or even a cat.
I think I'll invert a urinal just in case I'm wrong about Duchamp. Maybe it will be a profound creative experience.
It's late.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 11:26 pm
Easter is coming up, is it not?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 11:39 pm
Osso, not til April?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 11:43 pm
You can tell I was getting an fine hat in readiness... but I was thinking You would wear it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 11:46 pm
Sadly, I think I have been throwing toiletries on to others, indeed, good friends. I suppose I should take it upon myself to bear certain hats.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 03:33 pm
Osso, toiletries and hats? I'm lost.
Embarrassed
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 07:06 pm
The roots of modern art can be quite outre.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:44 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Osso, toiletries and hats? I'm lost.
Embarrassed

No, no, it's me. I was riffing. I should keep that stuff in my mind, not in the reply box. OK, I'll try to reconstruct -

April reminded me of Easter, which reminded me of hats.
Duchamp reminded me of toilets, which reminded me of toiletries.
Clearly I should have a fifteen minute pause after typing before actually posting anything.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:46 pm
Ah, toilet. I should have got it. Thanks for the explanation. Now explain to me what's "riffing"?
Rolling Eyes

Not that I understood "outre". Other than that I'm fine. Embarrassed
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:50 pm
er, to me it means taking off on a flight of word play..
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 02:22 am
isn't it originally a musical term? as in when jazz players go off on a flight of fancy, free-flying with the music?

that's definitely what Osso was up to! Abstract conversation ....

Very Happy riff away Osso
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:41 am
Yes, that is where it's from.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 11:07 am
Urinalotatrouble.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 11:28 am
Diaper anyone?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 11:50 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Urinalotatrouble.

Laughing
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 12:15 pm
Hmmm, is "outre" embedded somewhere in "unrinalotatrouble"? Sounds like one of the more exotic (maybe French) coffee concoctions at Starbucks.

OK, from now on I'm going back to being serious.
0 Replies