Worst Jobs Ever!!!

SCoates

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 07:32 pm
I'm doing an assignment for my folklore class on worst jobs in general. If you have any stories to share, long or short, detailed or vague, go ahead and post them here. Also, please state permission to use your stories within the text. I need at least some semblance of permission to please my professor. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,636 • Replies: 11
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:17 pm
Uhh......Where has this tread been all my life?

My job su-u-ucks. I have roofed houses in the middle of winter with a foot of snow on them, but the job I have now has no comparison.....here is my story........I work for "savers" (Value Village), it's awesome for the customers, always great deals on cool stuff, but for us employees, it's hell. I work in production, I do the same job all day, everyday for 8 hours a day and the worst of it is the fact that I have to work with ALL women...and we all know how that is.....hehe....way too many hormones in the building! It's completely insane. Work feels like daycare, everyone is constantly telling on everyone else for whatever reason, and it drives me nuts. The supervisor has favorites of course which is also no good, and management is friends with the supervisors, so that means we can't go to the management about the supervisors or we might as well just quit. IT's just a sad sad place to work. Luckily i'm only there to make money while i'm getting an education, and with that should never ever have to work in a place like that again!

That's my story, it's not at all great, so use it if you have too.

And thanks, I feel much better now!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:18 pm
Worst jobs we've actually had or those we know of? Mine have never been that bad but I know of a doozy that my neighbor had when I lived in OK.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:31 pm
Sure, most of the paper will be on first-hand experience, or heresay, but I could also use some cold hard facts.

In other words, anything works. Smile
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:44 pm
Ummm.. Ok. In this town I lived in there was a meat processing plant. They made things like the packaged bacon you buy at the supermarklets, hot dogs, bologna, etc..

All of the cattle/pigs went in on one side of the plant and packed meat products went out the other end. Very little is wasted in the entire process. Inside are several dozen assembly line type rows where the cattle/pigs are butchered. At each step whatever is scrap waste gets tossed into a trough in the floor and flushed out to the back of the plant into a huge pit.

My nieghbor's job (which happened to be thw highest paying job in town!) was to put on a pair of waders and climb into that pit with a shovel and dig that stuff out and into a dumpster.

All in all that sounds disgusting but not terrible. The plant was is southwestern OK though so in the summer time temps hit 110+ degrees fairly regulalry and he'd be waste deep in rotting meat in 100+ degree temps shoveling that stuff into dumpsters all day long. It stunk like hell and there were all sorts of flies and rats there all the time. Yuck.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:48 pm
Okay. I was going to say that nothing could be worse than being the guy who has to scrape road-kill off of the highway or maybe the guy who has to do dishes at the pancake house but fishin' just killed those ideas.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:01 pm
lmao
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:02 pm
It wasn't all that bad, but I once had a job counting bug poop. The project was to develop a pesiticide resistance assay kit. I actually had fun teaching a Chinese technician all the English words for feces. There's a lot.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:51 am
When I was at uni, I used to work at nights telemarketing trying to seel stuf over the phone. 90% of the people would abuse the you know what out of me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 05:17 am
fishin'

What an utterly disgusting job! Shocked <retch, gag>
Did your friend become a vegetarian as a result?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 05:18 am
australia wrote:
When I was at uni, I used to work at nights telemarketing trying to seel stuf over the phone. 90% of the people would abuse the you know what out of me.

Man....I tried telemarketing once, when I was a teenager. The pay was good, but I quit in less than a week after I called a woman whose husband's name was on my list. I asked for him as instructed, and she broke down and said "he's dead!" I decided that day that there must be a special place in hell for telemarketers, and I didn't wanna be there. Laughing
0 Replies

australia

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 06:04 am
Oh, that happened to me about 5 times every night. I mean, what do you say? Just try and get off the phone as quick as possible.

The worst thing is that I did it for 5 years straight with the same script. So when you would ring a friend or someone, you brain would go into cruisecontrol and you would start saying the script over the phone.
0 Replies