Political Correctness Gone Berserk

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 01:53 pm
fishin' wrote:
The issue only comes up when people who aren't famaliar with the design differences see it.

Given that hamburger was in the industry from the 40's, and I worked as a programmer beginning in the mid-70's, I think I can safely say I'm familiar with where the language comes from. I continue to feel that it is unnecessary and inappropriate.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 01:57 pm
Quote:
There is some suggestion that the word "guardian" should be used instead of owner. This has to do, partly, with insurance and the law.

ehBeth- I don't know what the ramifications of insurance and the law is, in this case, so I cannot comment. The thing is, one of the most important things that I have learned in life, is when and where to choose your battles.

Sure, there are plenty of words that could be considered insulting to some people. And the more egregious ones, the ones that are meant to demean and hurt, have for the most part, have been booted out of the vocabulary of civilized people.

The inference that I am making, is that if one takes umbrage at anything that is even indirectly debasing or demeaning, and fights for every minor point, the major issues are obscured.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 02:10 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I continue to feel that it is unnecessary and inappropriate.

And this is exactly why the original article points to it as political correctness. Because some people feel it's wrong because of other connotations of the terms even though it is a 100% accurate description of what is going on inside the box.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 02:15 pm
I agree with Phoenix and fishin'. The words "master" and "slave" are being applied to pieces of hardware. It's tragic that those words have also been used to refer to humans in this country's past, but what should we do here: ban words that might theoretically remind us of slavery? I should hope that's not the goal. Perhaps we should sift through our emotions about sensitive issues rather than crying foul-play every time a word causes us discomfort.
0 Replies