Do you love George "Dubya" Bush?

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 11:48 pm
Learning to love Big Brother: George W. Bush channels George Orwell

Quote:
Here's a question for constitutional scholars: Can a sitting president be charged with plagiarism?

As President Bush wages his war against terrorism and moves to create a huge homeland security apparatus, he appears to be borrowing heavily, if not ripping off ideas outright, from George Orwell. The work in question is "1984, " the prophetic novel about a government that controls the masses by spreading propaganda, cracking down on subversive thought and altering history to suit its needs. It was intended to be read as a warning about the evils of totalitarianism -- not a how-to manual.

Granted, we're a long way from resembling the kind of authoritarian state Orwell depicted, but some of the similarities are starting to get a bit eerie.

PERMANENT WAR

In "1984," the state remained perpetually at war against a vague and ever- changing enemy. The war took place largely in the abstract, but it served as a convenient vehicle to fuel hatred, nurture fear and justify the regime's autocratic practices.

Bush's war against terrorism has become almost as amorphous. Although we are told the president's resolve is steady and the mission clear, we seem to know less and less about the enemy we are fighting. What began as a war against Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda quickly morphed into a war against Afghanistan, followed by dire warnings about an "Axis of Evil," the targeting of terrorists in some 50 to 60 countries, and now the beginnings of a major campaign against Iraq. Exactly what will constitute success in this war remains unclear, but the one thing the Bush administration has made certain is that the war will continue "indefinitely."

MINISTRY OF TRUTH . . . [read the article]

INFALLIBLE LEADER . . .

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING . . .

Because we are a nation at war -- as we are constantly reminded -- most Americans say they are willing to sacrifice many of our freedoms in return for the promise of greater security. We have been asked to put our blind faith in government and most of us have done so with patriotic fervor. But when the government abuses that trust and begins to stamp out the freedom of dissent that is the hallmark of a democratic society, can there be any turning back?

So powerful was the state's control over people's minds in "1984" that, eventually, everyone came to love Big Brother. Perhaps in time we all will, too.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Do you love George "Dubya" Bush?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,781 • Replies: 32
No top replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 11:57 pm
Quote:
followed by dire warnings about an "Axis of Evil,

One down......two to go.

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sehrgrosse/large-smiley-051.gif
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 12:26 am
Debra law, interesting article. Makes me want to read the book. But it appears there is no need.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 12:28 am
Oh yeah, she loves him all right.

And it's that drinkin'-his-bathwater, eatin'-the-corn-outta-his-doodoo-kinda love.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 12:29 am
Revel, you haven't read 1984? It is a must read, believe me.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:52 am
Just Wonders:

We had the most deadly month to date in Iraq last month. I don't think we are anywhere close to 'one down'.

My brothers are over there dying in this preventable insurgency and we are over here putting quaint stars with six guns on our posts.

When we get a little closer to over four Americans dying per day we can talk about 'mission accomplished'.

TTF
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:56 am
thethinkfactory wrote:
Just Wonders:

We had the most deadly month to date in Iraq last month. I don't think we are anywhere close to 'one down'.

My brothers are over there dying in this preventable insurgency and we are over here putting quaint stars with six guns on our posts.

When we get a little closer to over four Americans dying per day we can talk about 'mission accomplished'.

TTF

IMO, the mission is accomplished when NO Americans are dying daily in Iraq. And with W at the helm, we will stay the course until that is accomplished.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:23 am
Thanks for posting this, Debra Law.

The answer is "No."
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 11:13 am
I am not sure that this is the place, but I will point out that there are NO Americans dying daily in Vietnam. The Vietnamese aren't being killed by war either.

But I agree, when we reach the same outcome in Iraq, we all will say "Mission Accomplished".

I just hope we are successful in Iraq without the level of death and destruction we endured in Vietnam.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 11:20 am
and at what "level" of dying/killing will be crossing the line?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 12:14 pm
Dys -- anything over 60,000 American deaths? That means at the rate the death toll is rising... from a c. 33% increase for the months of March & April from 2003 to 2004, to a c. 50% increase for both the July-August and Oct-November periods.

It just keeps going up. Likely we can hit 50,000 in five years.

These quick statistics brought to you by a quick perusal of this website. You can make of it what you will.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/iraq_casualties.htm

2003 March & April American deaths -- 138
2004 March & April deaths -- 188
(50 more deaths, 50/138)

2003 July & August deaths -- 82
2004 July & August deaths -- 130
(42 more deaths, 42/82)

2003 Oct & November deaths -- 125
2004 Oct & November deaths -- 198
(73 more deaths, 73/125)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 12:16 pm
By all means read the book Revel. But also see the movie.
Throughout it, scenes of men and tanks advancing through swirling sand storms are beamed at the "people" by ever-present video screens.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 12:23 pm
http://www.mondopolitico.com/library/1984/1984.htm

1984 has long been the first book to which we have turned for a vivid picture of a government that has used war to justify infringement on freedom; that has used speech codes to limit everyone's ability to understand higher concepts or concepts that favour human individuality; that uses powerful media to build unwarranted consensus and rewrite history; and that has used technology to nip political opposition and individualistic or eccentric practices in the bud.

Far from being a caricature, it insightfully and skillfully characterizes the tendencies and motivations of unlimited government power, and the horrifying, hopeless result of such government: humanity denied its freedom to think, to be rational, and to dissent...its freedom to be human.

If, after finishing 1984, you find yourself nervous and paranoid, then: good. You have just taken a step closer to respecting the importance of human freedom and dignity, and the dangers in allowing governments to usurp your freedom to dissent or be different. All that remains is to fight to maintain or regain your ownlife (read the book, you'll know what we mean).

Piff, I hope fervently that we're not on our way to making Orwell a seer.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:32 pm
I have said this before - but there is a number that America will tolerate and get off its asses and do something about. I am not sure what that number is - but my guess is around 10,000 dead. Until we get there - there isn't enough popular response for our representatives to think that anything but business as usual is going on in Iraq.

150 a month is an acceptable death toll. Fertalizer for the soil of really big rebuilding dollars.

TF
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:46 pm
The use of "1984" and "Big Brother" by the left amuses me. It's right up there with the nazi references and Hitler comparisons.

Reminds me of chicken little.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:50 pm
McGentrix wrote:
The use of "1984" and "Big Brother" by the left amuses me. It's right up there with the nazi references and Hitler comparisons.

Reminds me of chicken little.

And this kind of attitude reminds me of an ostrich.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 10:10 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It's right up there with the nazi references and Hitler comparisons.

Only a moron would make such a comparison...but the comparison with 1984 is not so easy to dismiss IMO
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 10:35 pm
panzade wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
It's right up there with the nazi references and Hitler comparisons.

Only a moron would make such a comparison...but the comparison with 1984 is not so easy to dismiss IMO

Rather than just call McG a "moron," maybe you could state your case for why he's wrong. On the surface, it seems like an apt comparison to me.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 10:39 pm
I think he's stating that only a moron would compare Hitler with Bush, not that McGentrix is a moron.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 10:52 pm
Well that would make sense. Thanks for pointing that out.

Sorry I misunderstood your post, Pan. I think I've done that before. I should know better by now. Embarrassed
0 Replies