Coffee Tax

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 04:49 am
This is kind of an old article but would like to hear your views.

I support the cause it's going for, but it reminds me too much of the Boston Tea Party. Does everything on this planet need to be taxed? Or does the cause seem more beneficial? It's only ten cents, but doesn't it seem almost "un-American" considering our history with such taxes?

I am conflicted on this issue, and I would like to hear some of your ideas on the topic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3113716.stm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,086 • Replies: 17
No top replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 07:50 am
Cereal - you're joking, right? I don't see how anyone could even remotely equate this with "taxation without representation".

The people have two choices. Either don't vote for it, or if it passes with a majority, buy regular coffee LOL.

Please tell me you're joking LOL.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 09:47 am
I find this micro-managing a far more disturbing abuse of my tax dollars:

Colleges Would Be Required to Teach the Constitution, Under Provision Tucked Into Spending Bill
By KARIN FISCHER

Sen. Robert C. Byrd, a West Virginia Democrat and the Senate's unofficial constitutional scholar, has inserted language into the final $388-billion spending bill for 2005 requiring that any educational institution that receives federal aid offer its students an instructional program on the U.S. Constitution each September 17, the anniversary of its signing.

The provision took higher-education leaders by surprise. They said they had not been consulted about it.

Because the rider does not specifically exclude colleges, higher-education officials assume it applies to their institutions, as well as elementary and secondary schools, said Becky Timmons, director of government relations at the American Council on Education, an umbrella group that lobbies for colleges.

A spokesman for Senator Byrd, Tom Gavin, said the measure would apply to all public and private institutions, including colleges, that receive federal money.

Ms. Timmons said college leaders are concerned that the provision could set a precedent in which Congress feels free to issue curricular requirements. The U.S. Department of Education is expressly prohibited from establishing a national curriculum.

The language does not specify how the instruction should be carried out. Mr. Gavin said he expects the Education Department to issue a rule or letter of guidance to colleges and schools in the coming weeks.

The final spending bill has been tied up by an unrelated controversy over a provision giving members of the House and Senate Appropriations Committees the authority to review individual federal tax returns (The Chronicle, December 3). The legislation has not yet been signed by President Bush.

In a written statement, Senator Byrd said Americans need to better understand the Constitution and its importance. "We can build upon the respect and reverence we still hold for our Constitution," the senator said. "But we had better start now, before, through ignorance and apathy, even that much slips away from us."

Senator Byrd's reverence for the Constitution is well known on Capitol Hill. He habitually carries a copy of the document in an inside breast pocket of his suit, and he has been known to flourish it during heated arguments on the Senate floor. He has also written multivolume histories of the U.S. Senate and the Roman Senate.

The eight-term senator has previously used his position as the highest-ranking Democrat on the Senate Appropriations Committee to make far-reaching policy statements in the end-of-the-year spending bills. In 2000, for example, he added a last-minute provision giving money from import duties paid by foreign companies to their American competitors. That rider sparked a serious trade dispute with the European Union and a half-dozen other countries.

Source
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 07:35 pm
Well, maybe I overstated my case it a bit with the Boston Tea Party reference. Embarrassed

I just think it's ridiculous for a city to add a tax anytime they want even if it's for a good cause. It seems to me that anytime they want money for something they can take advantage of taxpayer kindness and tack it onto something. Where does it end ? I thought the goal every politician promises was lower taxes.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 08:23 pm
CerealKiller--

How should government raise money if not through taxes?
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 09:21 pm
I like the national sales tax idea.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 09:23 pm
Nobody seems to mind my outrageous tobacco tax. Pay up and quit your whining.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 09:26 pm
I hope they tax your fast food too.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 01:19 am
Re: Coffee Tax
CerealKiller wrote:
This is kind of an old article but would like to hear your views.

I support the cause it's going for, but it reminds me too much of the Boston Tea Party. Does everything on this planet need to be taxed? Or does the cause seem more beneficial? It's only ten cents, but doesn't it seem almost "un-American" considering our history with such taxes?

I am conflicted on this issue, and I would like to hear some of your ideas on the topic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3113716.stm

We already have our coffee taxed here. If it is a prepared and ready to eat food, ie fast food, coffee, pizza, steak dinner or whatever, it is taxed. The only food items not taxed are those sold in grocery stores that you take home and prepare yourself. Sad
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 03:17 am
My food is too quick for them to even catch, let alone tax.
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:52 am
Quote:
Anyone who is prepared to pay $3.50 for a double tall vanilla latte

is an idiot
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 01:19 pm
MaryM wrote:
Quote:

is an idiot

Ouch. Maybe not so to that avid devotee of that double tall vanilla latte! And it's not really up to us to judge how others feel compelled to spend their hard earned dollars. Smile
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 03:11 pm
Lady J wrote:

We already have our coffee taxed here. If it is a prepared and ready to eat food, ie fast food, coffee, pizza, steak dinner or whatever, it is taxed. The only food items not taxed are those sold in grocery stores that you take home and prepare yourself. Sad

And where might here be Tabitha ? Cloud 9 ? Very Happy
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:12 am
lady J, I knew I would step on a toe or two, sorry. I understand the addiction, and advise a ten cent teabag instead.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:37 am
MaryM wrote:
Quote:

is an idiot

I agree. For that money it ought to be a triple.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:26 am
CerealKiller wrote:
Lady J wrote:

And where might here be Tabitha ? Cloud 9 ? Very Happy

Oh, Mr. Tate...if only it were! I'd eat marshmallows and drink porpoise milk! Nay, I am but stuck in the northern California wine country, so I guess I'll have to stick to my chocolates and wine. Smile
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:30 am
"What's a dime? It doesn't hurt and it's for a good cause," the man says. "

What about next year when is just another dime?? They say they have no income tax but I'll bet they have a nice property tax. Just another underhanded way for the govt to spin off it's spending frenzy.

With respect to teaching the COnstitution in federally funded institutions, why is this NOT happening already?
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:31 am
MaryM wrote:
lady J, I knew I would step on a toe or two, sorry. I understand the addiction, and advise a ten cent teabag instead.

Not my tootsies, MaryM. Smile If I want a double tall vanilla latte (prefer mine extra hot), I just make it at home. My espresso machine is one of my favorite kitchen items. Smile
0 Replies