ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 08:36 am
ohhhhhh - this is good - Ukrainian, Italian (by way of Vienna Very Happy ) and Walter's home parish - I do love hearing about all of these traditions.

Ul - your students are so lucky to have the chance to learn about different traditions around the world.

I'm just smiling smiling smiling now.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 09:32 am
Me too, ehBeth, all this is great - history and food too!! What a good combination.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 11:09 am
and a little something from the garden ...

bailey, ehBeth and cleo has sent you a Care2 e-card!

To view your card, simply click on this address:

http://www.care2.com/ecards/p/6352-3026-13634-1024
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 05:11 pm
Thank you- very pretty.

Today I had a visitor from Poland here- very homesick right now. Missing his large family and the traditions. So while we were baking some gingerbread he told us about Christmas in Poland.

About a traditional Créche compition where people bring in their handmade Nativity Scenes. The big family meal, 12 courses, each for one apostle, no meat- carp or herring, the extra plate on the table in case a stranger would knock at the door, will start when the youngest family member has seen the first star, the straw under the table or tablecloth, the oblates with a picture which you share to start the meal.
Although he is priest he told me about fortune telling at Christmas Eve. Taking up a straw- the color and length will tell you about health, long life.
The first visitor should be male- that means good luck.
And he sang some really beautiful Polish Christmas carols.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 05:28 pm
Aww, thanks ehBeth.

Merry Christmas from me and the Herd ~

http://www.qualitysavers.to/images3/kittens.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 05:32 pm
I'm so glad he was able to share these stories with you, Ul - and that you shared them with us.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:34 pm
http://www.sparinsky.kiev.ua/rizdvo/2.jpg

Ukrainian Christmas greetings! Very Happy
(Now, is there anyone out there who can translate the message for me? Embarrassed )
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:39 pm
Oh, lovely cards Stradee and MsOlga.

I've got someone at work who could translate the card on Monday, MsOlga.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:40 pm
http://www.whatsthenumber.com/cards/hol/chr/images/chr004s01x69.jpg

http://www.thekoala.com/xmas/koalachristmas.jpg

And Christmas greetings from, Oz, too! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:49 pm
hehehehe

either that little bugger's tiny, or that candy cane's enormous!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:54 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Oh, lovely cards Stradee and MsOlga.

I've got someone at work who could translate the card on Monday, MsOlga.

Thanks, ehBeth! It gets a bit embarrassing, being a Ukrainian illiterate! But I DID speak the language at home, with my parents.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 07:52 pm
Thanks ehBeth, for the card. Very nice...

ul, that's a wonderfully interesting story. Thanks.

msolga, I too wait in anticipation for the translation. Oh, and thank you for the recipe - I intend to make some Golubtsi this holiday. My Patti is the main cook but I get to do some small things - - - like wash the pots and pans. LOL = joke.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 07:54 pm
That reminds me. I talked to Setanta about the Golubtsi. I'm thinking it's the kind of thing we could make together.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 08:03 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Oh, please bring that Christmas bit/post over to my "cultural treat" thread, nimh.

We're sharing Advent and Christmas traditions, and that would be a beautiful example of sharing.

Upon request ... from the context ofthe Is there room for Christmas anymore? thread, the following:

----

Perhaps today's Americans should take a cue from those Balkan peoples, with their supposed "ancient ethnic hatreds".

On the faultlines of cultures and religions, but far away from the respective centres of religious dogma, the peasants of the Rhodopes, according to some, found their own ways to be together, and yet themselves. I dug this bit back up from my thesis (page 51 of 246 ;-)) - will improvise a translation to English of this paragraph or two:

Quote:

According to the ethnological study in Relations of Compatibility and Incompatibility.., however, the conclusion about the ethnical component of Bulgarian village mentality should be a wholly different one. There was and is, the thesis is here, a 'system of coexistence' between christians and muslims in the Bulgarian village, in which both parties respect the difference of the other and expresses that in traditional conventions of exchange and tribute. The ethnologists have recorded these conventions exhaustively. The groups share the village in which they live in patterns of day-to-day life passed on from generation to generation, and in the confidence that both parties will rebuff any infringement of these relations.

This system of coexistence rests on several pillars. The exchange of gifts at religious feasts, mutual visits at marriage and birth and the presence at funerals (and participation therein according to each others traditions) make the religious difference a familiar one. In this mutual involvement, the boundary between the groups is made unproblematic and yet cultivated. In the northern Rhodopes, for example, the muslims take it upon themselves to serve the guests at christian marriages and the christians do the same at islamic marriages. Sometimes, too, the boundary is stretched a little for the benefit of pleasant relations - drinking is done together (alcoholism is a problem among muslims too), and so is eating. Moreover one participates in each other's feasts - one third of the muslims in Bulgaria celebrates Christmas. As one muslim from Konoush, who on the eve of Christmas was readying himself to slaughter the pig of the priest, summarized it: "We are going to become Christians for 40 days now. We eat pork and drink wine. After that we'll be Muslims again". And finally, religion itself is a bridge, because an underlying 'spiritual map', dating from pagan times, is also shared. The faithful of both confessions share the same superstitions and believe in the same healing powers and sanctity of the same places - and thus, Bulgarian muslims stay overnight in the Saint Nicholas Church, and christians visit the Demir Baba Teke.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 08:07 pm
<curtsies>

thank you , Nimh.

Now if we offer you a tray with some genever and spekulaas, will you come back some time and tell us more about any other seasonal traditions you know, or have been part of ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 08:11 pm
hhmmm ... seasonal traditions are usually religious, and i've been raised stridently secularly ...

plus, i dont like speculaas (unless it's "gevulde") and i dont actually drink jenever ...

but; i did, daunted by the prospect of writing a sinterklaas rhyme for A., write her a "Sinterklaas rap" instead, last December 5 ...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 05:44 am
danon5, ehBeth & Setanta are all going to make Golubtsi! That's great. Please let me know how they turn out.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 05:59 am
If we're talking Ukrainian food I MUST include varenyky! I love them! No celebratory dinner would be complete without them! (Unless you're having Golubtsi (or holubsti) of course!

Varenyky with cottage cheese

(Varenyky is plural form of the word varenyk, the second syllable is stressed. It's a very popular dish in Ukraine. Varenyky can be either with savoury, or sweet filling.

2 glasses of flour
1 egg
half a glass of water
1/2 tbsp of sugar
salt
600g of cottage cheese
1 onion
1.5 tbsp of butter

For the filling rub the cottage cheese through a sieve (or in any other way make it soft). Fry the chopped onion in oil until it gets golden in colour. Mix it with cottage cheese, add salt and butter. Blend thoroughly.

Sift the flour through a sieve. Put it into a bowl. Pour into it a mixture of water, salt, sugar and eggs. Knead the dough as quickly as possible. Let it stay in refridgerator for 30 minutes.

On the board sifted with flour roll the ready dough out into a layer as thick as 2mm. Cut the round scones with a glass or any other round shape.

Put a teaspoonful of the filling onto each of the scones. Then bring together the opposite edges of a scone and pinch them so that they don't come apart. When you have a closed semicircular shape with the filling inside, it is the varenyk.

Fill a big pot with water, add a little salt to it and bring to boil. Put the varenyks into the boiling water and boil them for 3 or 5 minutes.

Brush melted butter onto them. Serve chilled in a dish, in sour cream.

Then eat & be delirious! Razz
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 07:13 am
msolga,
Now you've done it!! You have put on a stone of weight for me!! (grin) Thank you - it sounds great and I'll make some of this also.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 07:18 am
Oh good, danon! They are truly wonderful. Very Happy The trick it making sure they're properly sealed before putting them into the boiling water, or they can lose the cottage cheese filling. Oh & if you make too many you can freeze them. No need to defrost before cooking.
0 Replies