ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 05:42 pm
some of these must hang from the tree, and mrs. hamburger usually places some on the Christmas coffee table as well

http://home.t-online.de/home/sanbeam/3208.gif
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:57 pm
Vanillekipferl! Nice name! Very Happy And so easy to make, danon. Even better! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:59 pm
ehBeth wrote:
The recipe for vareniky, or the perogy variant, always seems so simple. But it's not, it's not. Thank goodness they're very popular here, so you can easily buy them in the store.

Oh, I know, I know! It's keeping the little blighters stuck together in the boiling water that's the challenge.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 11:01 pm
ehBeth wrote:
some of these must hang from the tree, and mrs. hamburger usually places some on the Christmas coffee table as well

http://home.t-online.de/home/sanbeam/3208.gif

Are they ladybirds, ehBeth? Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 11:04 pm
... or little beetles, perhaps?
0 Replies

littlek

ladybugs.... I think ladybirds is right also.
0 Replies

littlek

these little critters eat more aphids than seems beetly possible.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 11:09 pm
Not many of them around, though, these days ...
They remind me of childhood:

Ladybird, Ladybird, fly away home.
Your house is on fire, your children are gone..

(& I've forgotten the rest.)

Come to think of it, that's not a happy little ditty at all! Sad
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 09:11 am
Very nice reading here. Thanks Beth - it's like a Christmas present for all of us.

I've also copied Olga's recipes, though the filled dumplings sound difficult and it can be hard to get a cabbage leaves to behave, too. Very Happy

Ladybug, Ladybug, fly away home,
Your house is on fire, your children will burn.

Then blow gently and see her sail away.

(I liked ladybugs better before I was bitten by one.)
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 09:33 am
Last year I had Kazillions of the little critters 'ladybugs' here in NE Texas. They never bother anything so I don't mind them.

Some of those childhood ditties are very misleading - like Ring around the Rosie. It's all about the Plague. Brrrrrr.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 09:57 am
Danon,
my vanillekipferl have also grated hazelnuts. I don't measure in cups, so I don't know how to translate yours. Embarrassed
280 gr flour
50 gr grated almonds
50 gr grated hazelnut
70 gr sugar
pinch of salt
200 gr butter
2 egg yolks

Prepare a dough quickly- roll into a ball and let it rest over night in the fridge. Then cut off pieces, form long rolls ( diameter about a pencil), cut into pieces, each about 2 inches, form crecsents. Put on a bakingsheet- no need to grease it when you use alu foil. Bake- they should not brown- a little yellow.
And yes, they should be baked in advance.

The story behind the crescent form : the lore is when the Turks lost- the half moon was eaten.

Lady bugs- cute.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 10:09 am
BTW- left over egg whites make lovely "Makronen".
Either with flaked coconut or with almonds and chocolate.
These are always the last cookies I bake.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 10:28 am
One of my friends from many years ago was a little Cajun from a small village outside New Orleans. Cajuns are the French who were expelled from Canada (Acadia)about three or four hundred years ago. They are WONDERFUL cooks.

Here is a story of their customs at Christmas, customs that had to be adapted to the swampy landscape and hot climate of Louisiana.

http://www.louisianamarket.com/v3/images/mhs_servingplatter_lg.jpg

Quote:
In southern Louisiana of the US, we also enjoy Christmas customs, traditions and myths. On Christmas Eve, big bonfires are lit near the bayous or waterways so Papa Noel (also known as Santa Claus) can find his way into the communities. Papa Noel cannot use the sleigh he is known to use in other parts of the world because of the swamps that he must travel through. Somewhere in the northern areas of Louisiana, Papa Noel trades his sleigh for a pirogue, which is a flat bottom boat commonly used in the region. Reindeer cannot pull his pirogue because they are unfamiliar with the boat and do not land well in the wet, swampy areas found in southern Louisiana. Instead Papa Noel has alligators that pull his pirogue through the swamps and wetlands of southern Louisiana. Instead of Rudolph leading Santa's sleigh in southern Louisiana, Gaston leads the other alligators in pulling the pirogue. The children must be asleep when he arrives or they will not receive any gifts. Once all of the gifts are delivered and Papa Noel leaves the area, the children are awakened by his cry of "Merry Christmas to all, 'Til I saw you some mo'!" and are allowed to open their gifts.

On Christmas Day, the children play with their new treasures while the adults add finishing touches to the day's feast. Dishes like oyster dressing, gumbo, and a turducken (a chicken stuffed inside of a duck, which is stuffed inside of a turkey, and deep fried in peanut oil) can be found on most tables in southern Louisiana on Christmas Day. For dessert, the table is spread with sweet delights, such as pecan pie and bread pudding with rum sauce.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:37 am
ul wrote:
BTW- left over egg whites make lovely "Makronen".

Or "Nußbusserl" :wink:

(And 'baiser'.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:51 am
http://www.sparinsky.kiev.ua/rizdvo/2.jpg

Joy to the World. Jesus Christ is born.

or as Nina originally said it

Earth, be happy. The son is born today.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:54 am
hehehehe
the ladybug/ladybird/beetle discussion

do you know how many variants there are on the little buggers! a friend of mine was doing an environmental assessment of a park for our provincial government. i went with her for one day of sampling. we found 18 or 19 varieties of little ladybugs on that day seemed the same til you really really looked.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 01:54 pm
ul,
Thank You for the suggestion for making VanilKipferl - I am going to market now for the nuss. Very Happy Very Happy No problem with the conversion to oz from gr. My problem is converting the 2 eggs to English!! LOL Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 02:01 pm
ul wrote:
The story behind the crescent form : the lore is when the Turks lost- the half moon was eaten.

The word "croissant" is a French translation of the German word 'Hörnchen' ("little horn"). Kipferl is Austrian/Bavarian for 'Hörnchen'.
(Although, when you order a 'Hörnchen' in a bakery, they are - and taste - different to croissants :wink: )
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:37 pm
And here is a merry christmas or "Froehliche Weihnachten"
from our house

http://www.directupload.net/images/041221/gzb67tL7.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 12:43 am
Piffka wrote:
...I've also copied Olga's recipes, though the filled dumplings sound difficult and it can be hard to get a cabbage leaves to behave, too. Very Happy

With the cabbage leaves, my mother always sliced some of the thickness off the stem before steaming them, separately but all together, if you understand my meaning. Confused Very Happy Also pack the stuffed cabbage packages close together & very carefully so that they support each other & stay intact during the cooking.
0 Replies