Tornado blasts thru Stevensville, East of the Chesapeake Bay

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2017 03:00 pm
Heavy rain, thunder and fierce lightening woke us up around 1:20 AM today. While we were fretting over the sump pump and making sure water was directed away from the house, the storm passed over the Chesaepeke Bay, picked up momentum and dropped a tornado right past the Bay Bridge. It tore a path thru Stevensville (where our son and his family live), uprooted most of the trees in his back yard but mercifully did not touch the house. Others were not so lucky, local news has been airing video from the area and it's bad, but thankfully not worse than bad. A few people were injured, one family was in their house when the tornado lifted the house off the foundation. The roof wasn't torn off and no one was injured....the tornados are so capricious.

More later
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,203 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2017 03:33 pm
@glitterbag,
eoow!!
glitterbag

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2017 03:47 pm
@ossobucotemp,
A house across the street from my son was obliterated, Im thankful no one was hurt or killed.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2017 04:44 pm
@glitterbag,
My son sent me pictures from his phone and I got about 6 more shots from local broadcasts.....I'll try to post them....I still haven't figured out how to do that. If I can't swing that I'll send via email.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2017 04:56 pm
Scary stuff.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2017 05:17 pm
@glitterbag,
Region Philbus worked up a how to post photos guide, but now I forget how to find that (probably easy). I used to be pretty good at it but I've lost a lot of know how since I don't have photobucket anymore and have gotten lazier than I already was. I'll be interested though.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2017 05:37 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Aha, I found a pretty good thread on how to post a photo -

https://able2know.org/topic/372121-1
glitterbag

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2017 08:18 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Thanks OB, the power is off where young g'bag and family live, might be out for 4 days, so they are bunking with us. Hopefully when everyone is settled I'll check out the link.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2017 08:51 pm
@glitterbag,
Post when you can, eh? Well, also rest. Maybe that first.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2017 05:11 am
@glitterbag,
Oh dear, glad you're all OK.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2017 11:41 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks Izzy, the power is back on in his neighborhood, my son lost 15 trees in his back yard....It's a mess, the whole yard is stuffed with uprooted trees, a few that were cut in half....just awful. Now that power has been restored, the tree guys are showing up offering to clear up the fallen and damaged trees. It's very expensive, one quoted between 3 and 4 thousand $ to clear it out. Today, I found myself stressing how the tornado missed their house. Young g'bag, his wife and my granddaughter and grand dog woke up to a house that was shaking...looking at the photos today, I'm so thankful the tornado missed them.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 01:19 am
@glitterbag,
Are tornados that common where you are or is this a real freak weather event?

It's a real big deal when one tree gets blown down here, I couldn't imagine fifteen all going down at once.

Take care.
0 Replies