11 year old boy needs help getting dressed

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2017 01:35 pm
I have a nephew who I adore very much and have the opportunity take care of him once in a while. Often he asks me to help him get dressed. Although I loved doing it when he was a toddler, these days I wonder if he is too old now. Initially, I didnt think much of it since my fiance's son who is 11 years old as well, needs help as well.

However, sometimes I wonder if we are creating potential problem adults who will be unable to care for themselves once they become adults.

These boys are very likable boys so I hate to say no.

But is it normal that we fetch them a cup of water every time they need it, cut up their food into small bit sized portions, help them put on socks, etc.. everything that I think they should be capable of doing themselves by now. Are kids just slower to take care of themselves in basic fundamental ways these days because life is more complex?

What do you guys think?

View best answer, chosen by Bluefairy00
jespah

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2017 01:49 pm
@Bluefairy00,
Talk to the parents. Maybe these kids don't behave the same way at home.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2017 07:43 am
Used to women waiting on them all the time? Indulged? Developmentally delayed? Lazy? Who knows.

Yes. Just ask parents out of curiosity.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2017 03:07 pm
@Bluefairy00,
Why don't you just ask them to get the water themselves? Next time that they ask say, I 'm sorry - I am busy, why don't you go ahead and help yourself? Or say if they ask for help dressing - say you are so big now, why don't you try it yourself?

It could something as simple as a habit - you always help them or you always go get the water, just break the habit. They may actually want to do some of these things themselves but haven't been in a sense given the go ahead to do so. You can even kick it up and ask them to help you out and get you a glass of water. And then by saying thank you so much you are so helpful. This may encourage them to do other things to help.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2017 03:45 pm
@Bluefairy00,
Bluefairy00 wrote:
But is it normal that we fetch them a cup of water every time they need it, cut up their food into small bit sized portions, help them put on socks, etc.. everything that I think they should be capable of doing themselves by now. Are kids just slower to take care of themselves in basic fundamental ways these days because life is more complex?

I vividly remember my mother saying to me (affectionately) "You are big enough, and ugly enough, to do that by yourself from now on" about something when I was about 7 or 8. I don't think that socks or neckties or whatever are more complex nowadays. I happen to have a bee in my bonnet about excessively prolonged infancy. I don't like it. When I was 11 I was going everywhere by myself (in an inner London district) by bus, subway and train, shopping for the family if needed, going to get my hair cut, ironing my Boy Scout uniform, taking photos and developing the film, and generally taking care of myself in most practical ways. I was expected to speak clearly, to have good manners, to converse politely with aged relatives, to have opinions about things. My father would say things like "Should the government spend money on aircraft carriers?" and expect some kind of reply with reasons. I was expected, in short, to be like a miniature adult, not like a great big baby. I don't think it did me any harm at all.
0 Replies

ehBeth
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2017 07:02 pm
@Bluefairy00,
Bluefairy00 wrote:
Are kids just slower to take care of themselves in basic fundamental ways these days because life is more complex?

nope

I know 3 and 4 year olds who dress themselves every day. Not always combos that make sense to me, but they are presentable. They get their own water by using a step stool at the sink. Their knife skills aren't safe/good yet, but I can see it coming soon. They'll be using full cutlery within a year.

Unless the child you're dealing with is disabled in some way (and even then) encourage them to manage things on their own.

emmett grogan

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 04:47 pm
Perhaps you are their only source of kindness and attention.
0 Replies

Bluefairy00

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 06:14 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth,
Appreciate your answer.

My sister-in-law dotes on her boy and my initial thinking was that love conquers all.

Our other relatives are concerned that this boy is overly pampered. However, can it be so bad? It seems abused children turn out badly and so perhaps pampered children may turn out to be the opposite of bad. They will be kind and loving because they were shown this kind of attitude.

My main concern these days is that my nephew will not be able to properly take care of himself when he becomes an adult.

It's not like we wont be able to take care of this child even until adult hood. Financially, my brother will be able to provide even for me if anything should happen.

However, a part of me still thinks we need to raise this boy up to be somewhat self sustaining, as we all were brought up to be. But then I even see my fiance's son raised kind of the same way. They are both good hearted kids so I cant complain. Do I say something to my brother and his wife? Since I dont have children of my own it's hard to know what to do.

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 06:30 pm
@Bluefairy00,
Your and their concern is right.

Raising a prince isn't even a favor for the prince
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2017 11:22 am
@Bluefairy00,
Bluefairy00 wrote:
Our other relatives are concerned that this boy is overly pampered. However, can it be so bad? It seems abused children turn out badly and so perhaps pampered children may turn out to be the opposite of bad.

I don't think it works like that.

centrox

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2017 02:21 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
Bluefairy00 wrote:
Our other relatives are concerned that this boy is overly pampered. However, can it be so bad? It seems abused children turn out badly and so perhaps pampered children may turn out to be the opposite of bad.

I don't think it works like that.

Pampered children can often turn out 'spoilt' (or 'spoiled'). Pampered little princes or princesses who think the sun shines out of their ass.
chai2

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2017 03:23 pm
@centrox,
I wouldn't want to be the woman who marries young prince.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 10:32 am
@Bluefairy00,
Bluefairy00 wrote:
It seems abused children turn out badly

there's some awesome bullshit right there
0 Replies

bunnyhabit

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 11:08 am
i don't see any problem doing it. my boyfriend has a twelve year old son and i often bathe and dress him afterwards
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 11:36 am
@bunnyhabit ,
Good grief, woman.

Or, are you a man?
emmett grogan

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 05:32 pm
@ossobucotemp,
or an adolescent?
0 Replies

Bluefairy00

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2017 09:23 pm
@bunnyhabit ,
A 12 years old seems a little too old to be needing help with getting bathed and dressed. Isnt that 6th grade age?

I recall developing at around 5th grade. Also dont some boys and girls date at that age too?

Of course, is babying somewhat innocuous since emotional development can be so very different for everyone? It does some hard to know.
0 Replies