Howto fit in at a new job

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 05:59 pm
Hi i just joined today. I have a question. I started a new job a month ago and the people are nice n all but I dont think i fit in yet. Im a little shy can someone pls help me to not be so shy??? I dont wanna just talk about work i mean thats just really really boring but I dont want to just sit there like a bump on a log!!

ps I work in IT in voicerec

thanks in advance

CC
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,395 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 06:26 pm
Crewman Cutler--

Welcome to A2K.

In a new situation, I've always found that listening for a month or six weeks is better than jumping in and trying to make an impression on your new office mates.

To my mind being a bit of a bump on a log is better than being exceedingly bumptious.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 06:30 pm
How big an organisation do you work for? Also, if you work in IT, you're expected to be socially inept as well as awkard and clumsy ;^)

And to back up noddy's 'err to the side of caution' advice: T'is better to say nothing and appear a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:30 pm
Congratulations on the new job. I agree with the others here, you'll get to know your co-workers soon enough. Just be yourself.

Oh, and don't pass up any social possibilities - lunch or drinks after work and such.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:51 pm
Hi Crewman Smile

A few things came to mind as I read your post.

You have been on the job about a month. Your co-workers are nice. This tells me that they must like you or they would be more on the snobbish side after a month's time. Smile

One thing about shy people. For the most part they are very good listeners. And by nature people LOVE to be around someone that will listen to them talk :wink: (This is a PLUS for you) This is why shy people make very good friends for someone to have. For friendship needs someone who will talk....as well as someone who will listen.

BUT........

You are feeling backwards.......like you don't quite know what to say. Sort of like you are on the outside looking in.

Perhaps a little role playing on your part might help you. Have you ever tried role reversal inside your own mind? By this, I mean, have you ever tried to talk to one of them and pretend that it's not YOU that is shy....but THEM! Pretend you are trying to draw them away from THEIR shyness by asking them questions and being very interested in their answers. I'm sure that over this past month there are things you sincerely would like to know about them. Smile

One more thing......

When you were hired the person that hired you must have thought you would fit in with the crew. This is almost as important as your ability to do the job. Employers know that discord within the work environment is very unproductive. What I'm trying to say........is they saw something in you that they liked beyond your abilities to perform the job.

You seem very sweet.........something tells me that you will be just fine, once you learn to believe in yourself as much as others believe in you Smile
0 Replies

Crewman Cutler

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 05:52 am
Everyones so nice here, and i know what you mean, being quiet n listening and all. I can do that. And justa_babbling_brooke I knoiw a few things like Jills dad is sick and Jason likes to go hiking. i guess i could ask somemore about that stufff. so I guess your right its just hard to get started!!! and i dont wanna pry i mean I dont know how sickk Jills dad is so I donot want to upset her you know. and hingehead yeh i guess were socielly inept

thanks everyboddy for answering this is helpful but what ddoes bumnptious mean????

and how do i get my picture to showup its just a red x but its supposed to be taisan from the tribe. TIA

CC
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 06:01 am
Bumptious - offensively self-assertive

Usually the broken avatar is caused by using a URL that has permission problems - but looking at its properties I see it's from A2K's directory so I'm buggered if I know.

One solution would be to save it locally then load it back up to A2K.

Yeah, I'd be cautious about asking about Jill's dad - especially if you overheard her telling someone else this. If she told you then go for it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 06:04 am
One thing I learned a long time ago was to ask someone "How are you?" and then listen to what they said without thinking about it related to me.

Joe
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 06:08 am
Crewman Cutler- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

Check out this tutorial on avatars:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47

bump·tious (bŭmp'shəs)
adj.
Crudely or loudly assertive; pushy.

I agree with the people who said that you have to listen, at first. I am a big believer in "checking out the lay of the land", before barrelling in. You need to get a sense of the interrelationships amongst the staff.

You also need to understand the "culture" in the office. Is it casual, or are people rather formal? Is it one big happy "family", or are the lines of command rather well defined? As a newbie, you don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. Go with the flow. After you have a track record, you are then able to be more free with expressing your own unique personality.

As far as responding to what you have learned about people, go easy at first. "How's your dad doing" is much less threatening to a person that you only know a little, than asking her for details. Good luck in your new job! Very Happy
0 Replies

Crewman Cutler

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:02 pm
Thanx everyone sorry Im late works been crazy, too much to do and not enough hrs in the day!!! But I wanted to thank everyone youve been so nice Ill write more onthe weekend.

CC
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 02:59 am
Crewman, I am in a similar position, I have just joined a new job on Monday - after being in the same company for almost 12 years. So I can imagine what you are going through.

Will lurk on yr thread....
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:42 am
Hiya prince - why the name change? and good luck with the job, I've just resigned from a place I've been at 8 years....
0 Replies

Crewman Cutler

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:04 pm
Hey thanks thats cool the prince. I am totally new ha ve never worked here before. Its getting better maybe cause its Christmas so everybodys in a happy mood. But I got meetings every day except Thurs! And i have nothing to say so its a big wasteof time but i cant say it is so i just sit there and try not to look to bored.
0 Replies

Crewman Cutler

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:19 pm
Hey Igot my picture to work!!!
0 Replies

Crewman Cutler

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 02:04 pm
Ok so things are better maybe its just being busy but the job isnt so bad I just wish i didnt have to get up so early!!!

Thanks everyone, signing off now.

CC
0 Replies