izzythepush

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 11:55 am
@eurocelticyankee,
The midnight king isn't the only white walker, what if they kill him and other one just takes his place?
eurocelticyankee

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 11:58 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Where's me kleenex.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 11:59 am
@izzythepush,
and i'm the bundle of joy....
izzythepush

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 12:01 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
You are that.

It all depends on the hierarchy of the walkers, assassination as a political tool is less effective against an established hierarchy. You kill one leader and another takes his place and does the same thing his predecessor would have done. Without an established hierarchy you have a power vacuum while various factions vie for control.

We know so little about the walkers, it's deliberate, it keeps us guessing.
eurocelticyankee

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 12:32 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
it keeps us guessing

Is that what you call it...
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 12:33 pm
Wouldn't it be great if all the night king wanted was to borrow some sugar.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 12:58 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
I was really surprised at how touching that scene was. I adore Brienne. A bit of a hard ass, but her scene with Arya sparring was one of my favorites. Her fight with the Hound seemed like it must have worn those two out for a week. A great fight scene.

Unforgettable character.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 01:03 pm
Ok! I was wracking my brain, trying to think of someone who wasn’t killed by a Walker, but who was in their ranks.

That giant, who’s name I’ve forgotten. He had his eye put out by an arrow. Killed after the Battle of the Bastards.

I know I saw him specifically, marching with the Walkers. There was a nudging close-up of his eye....or where it had been.
McGentrix

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 02:03 pm
@Lash,
Wun Wun couldn't be with the Night King as he was killed in Winterfell. There were multiple giants shown walking through the breach in the wall.
izzythepush

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 02:07 pm
Did anyone notice that Podrick was singing a song about a woman who shagged goats?

Or maybe not.

High in the halls of the kings who are gone
Jenny would dance with her ghosts.
The ones she had lost and the ones she had found
And the ones who had loved her the most.

The ones who’d been gone for so very long
She couldn’t remember their names
They spun her around on the damp cold stone
Spun away all her sorrow and pain

And she never wanted to leave
Never wanted to leave.
Never wanted to leave.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/04/game-of-thrones-song-podrick-jenny-song-meaning-books-jenny-oldstones
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 03:36 pm
@McGentrix,
It was a few seasons ago. Not walking through the wall. I’ll go googling around and see if I can confirm.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 12:48 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Is that why Dany is telling Jon the dead are already here in the promo.

Could be, but the brief clip of the Hound and Dondarrian in a corridor is more telling.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 12:51 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

And unfortunately that's why I think she's doomed. That was her send off.

I got the same feeling for Samwell Tarly in offering to fight as well as giving away his family sword.
Lash

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 05:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh, dammit!!
izzythepush

Fri 26 Apr, 2019 12:55 am
@Lash,
There's a whole thing going on about Gendry's song, how it's about someone who renounced the throne for love, and that's what Jon will do.

Don't know if I agree with it, but it's out there.
McGentrix

Fri 26 Apr, 2019 06:31 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

There's a whole thing going on about Gendry's song, how it's about someone who renounced the throne for love, and that's what Jon will do.

Don't know if I agree with it, but it's out there.

We were talking about that last night at a friends house. I have a friend that is slightly obsessed with GoT... Was from Book 3 when Arya was traveling with the Brothers without Banners. They came across the ghost on an old dwarf woman who sang them the first stanza.

Then from online research, it was determined (by osmosis or just made up as none of this is from Martin) that the older brother of one of the Targaryen kings abdicated his place in line to be king so he could marry a woman of low standing named Jenny. Jenny's handmaiden was a dwarf woman... thus the correlation.

The basis of this is that Martin likes to draw from actual history to flavor his writing and something similar to this happened awhile back.

We then made fun of him and called him a nerd.
izzythepush

Fri 26 Apr, 2019 09:36 am
@McGentrix,
I picked up tis from a car boot sale the other day.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51oHPmwqK4L._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's the history from the conqueror, a bit drier than his other books. A few nuggets but nothing particularly relevant right now. I'll post items of interest later.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 27 Apr, 2019 04:49 am
If anyone is going to read Fire & Blood they might want to ignore or thumb this post down because there are some minor spoilers, (about Valeria).

I'm almost half way through, not got anywhere near the character's in Podrick's song, when I do I'll let you know.

I've learnt a few things about Valeria. I think most people know that the Targaryans are the last of the Valerians who left Valeria before its "doom."

Doom is the word Martin uses and he's pretty vague about what the doom is. I thought the Targaryans fled Valeria like certain Trojan princes fled Troy, as it was collapsing, but no. They left Valeria for Dragonstone over a hundred years before the doom. It was a prophecy that caused them to leave and for the next hundred years most of their dealings were with Valeria.

This is just my opinion here, but I think there are parallels with Troy. Descendants of Troy supposedly founded Rome and London like the Targaryans founded King's Landing. The fall of Troy was prophesised by Cassandra, but unlike the Targaryan visionary, was ignored.

The other spoiler is that, after the conquest of Westeros, a Targaryan princess argues with her mother and disappears with the biggest dragon in Dragonstone. They spend over a year looking for her and the dragon but have no success.

Over a year later she arrives in King's Landing on the back of the dragon naked and feverish. It's one hell of a fever, she's literally burning up with smoke coming out of her mouth. The septon and maester care for here and lie to the royal family about how she dies.

There are wormlike creatures with hands and heads and stuff living in here. They are killed by ice, but the princess dies in agony, literally burnt alive from the inside out.

The master writes nothing of this but the septon makes an entry in a journal that is only discovered 100 years after the event. He believes that the dragon was too big to be controlled by a 13 year old girl and flew back to Valeria where it was hatched. The Valerians weren't just dragon riders but were into all sorts of weird black magic too.

Although they don't go into particulars the king bans any further travel to Valeria under pain of death.

I don't know if any of this will have any bearing on the rest of the series, but the Dungeons/Fall of Valeria is a computer game/novel/prequel just waiting to be made.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Sat 27 Apr, 2019 06:23 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote
Quote:
I got the same feeling for Samwell Tarly in offering to fight as well as giving away his family sword.

I watched that scene again last night and you could be right.
Sam had that doomed look about him.

Not long now.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 28 Apr, 2019 03:59 am
As far as spoilers go, on Mondays I don't look at this thread until I've seen the next episode, so feel free to discuss episode 3 once you've seen it. You won't spoil anything for me.
0 Replies