maxdancona

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 08:57 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I can't imagine the emotional weight if it is done by Jaime.

That seems like an obvious possibility now that you say it. I am a little embarrassed that this idea didn't occur to me. With Jaime's conversation with the Queen of Thorns, they are setting up the possibility that he turns on Cersei.

George

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 12:58 pm
@maxdancona,
Kingslayer becomes Queenslayer?
izzythepush

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 01:11 pm
@George,
That won't happen, he won't actively fight her. He might not support her or take a decision contrary to hers but that's about it.

On Thronecast they showed a 30 second preview of the next episode. Theon was shown dragging a boat on to a beach. I keep feeling he's about to go off on some sort of Lord Jim trajectory, because he can't go any lower, and he's still alive. Martin must have some sort of role for him.

Bran's return to Winterfell may be very significant indeed.
0 Replies

centrox

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 01:49 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Game of Thrones has always been trash TV. It is overdramatized, titillating and emotionally manipulative and I never had any illusions that it was anything else. In fact, that is why we watch it.

My wife and I deliberately watched a couple of episodes and found it all of those things that you say, but we also felt that we definitely didn't want to watch any more. We both hate swords-and-sorcery type books, TV and film, so maybe that was predictable. I am kind of puzzled why nobody on A2K has mentioned Twin Peaks - the Return, which I think is the best thing on TV, and (arguably) one of the best things that has ever been on TV. Or maybe they did and I missed it.
maxdancona

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 02:40 pm
@centrox,
Centrox, did you try watching WestWorld (the new series, not the movie)? It might be more your style.
centrox

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 03:34 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Centrox, did you try watching WestWorld (the new series, not the movie)? It might be more your style.

May give it a try. Lately we have seen and liked Braindead, Fargo, Twin Peaks (original series, never saw it before!), about to watch The Handmaid's Tale, Top Of The Lake season 2 (both with the wonderful Elisabeth Moss).
maxdancona

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 06:05 pm
@centrox,
Braindead was hilarious.... it was a type of humor not enough people got. I am glad we have this in common.

Tony Schalub derailing a bill naming the Ronald Reagan Concession Stand because "Reagan never made concessions".... it was pretty brilliant.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 07:18 am
This has been compared to Game of Thrones. Its creator Bernard Cornwell is in two minds about the comparison because its a series of historical novels. While G of T is definitely fantasy this is something that could have happened, but didn't.

Either way Uhtred of Bebbanburg is a real hard bastard.

http://images.amcnetworks.com/bbcamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/TLK_102_nobug_Uhtred.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 07:26 am
@centrox,
I don't know where Lynch is going with Twin Peaks, and think he's taking advantage of the fan set. The episode Got a light took the piss something rotten with cinematic/arthouse images taking priority over actual plot. It's like the emperors' new clothes with a bunch of pseuds pretending they understand/appreciate what's going on when even Lynch himself is none too sure. And each episode could end better than having a five minute session of whatever crappy band has caught Lynch's eye.

I will watch it to the end, but it's not gripped me like the first two seasons did back in the day, but at least there's no James.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 2 Aug, 2017 07:52 am
I like Sword and Sorcery, and I'm not the first to notice the similarities between the Targaryens and the Melniboneans. From Amazon discussions.

Quote:
Elric Targaryen of Melnibone

Okay, I feel stupid now. How did I not see this before? If they did an Elric movie, people would think it's a ripoff of "Game of Thrones":

1. The Melniboneans once had a great empire, but they've withdrawn to their original islands.
2. They controlled/rode dragons to gain their empire. Today, the dragons spend most of their time sleeping.
3. Elric, Emperor of Melnibone, is an albino.
4. Elric is in love with his cousin, Cymoril.
5. Elric's other cousin, Yyrkoon (Cymoril's brother) wants to take over Melnibone. Yyrkoon will do anything to achieve this.
6. Seafaring humans attempt to invade Melnibone, but fail.
7. In the distant past, the Melniboneans had the magical swords Stormbringer and Mournblade (Elric regains Stormbringer, and Yyrkoon gets Mournblade twice) .
8. The Melniboneans are an elf-like species, descended from a lizard-man species, and have pacts with Chaos Lords and Elementals.

1. The Targaryans once ruled the Seven Kingdoms, but they were dethroned, killed, and the two surviving members of the family have fled.
2. They controlled(/rode?) dragons to gain their empire. Today, the dragons have all been killed, except three dragon eggs remain (at the beginning of the first book).
3. The Targaryans frequently have very pale blond (almost white) hair, and are typically fair-skinned.
4. The Targaryans (among others) are not above incest, and often married brother to sister.
5. Viserys wants to take over the Seven Kingdoms. He will do anything to achieve this.
6. (Prior to the events of the first book) the Iron Islanders attempted to invade the Seven Kingdoms, but were defeated.
7. In the past, the Targaryans had swords made of Valyrian steel (a magical alloy). These swords are now relatively rare, and the skill to create new Valyrian swords has been lost.
8... Okay, I got nothing.

https://www.amazon.com/Elric-Targaryen-of-Melnibone/forum/Fx375VBDG6ACSUW/Tx3M5Q4TLX6XKD0/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=0002247399

https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1280718396l/3717677.jpg
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 7 Aug, 2017 08:32 pm
The last GOT outing was BY FAR the best in quite a while.

I'll wait for a day or so before discussing details.

maxdancona

Mon 7 Aug, 2017 09:25 pm
@Lash,
There is an old saying, if you show a loaded gun in the first scene, it needs to go off by the third. Is the Mother of Dragons going to lose a dragon?

Arya and Sansa together at last was awesome. Arya and Brienne was fun.... "Who taught you that?" .... "No one.".

0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 03:57 am
After Jerome Flynn's character was killed off in Ripper Street he was busting a gut to make sure it didn't happen on G of T.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/06/2d/dd/062ddd6f1aeea6a867df02957da82711.jpg

I don't think he was the one who saved Jaime either.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 04:30 am
I finally enjoyed Arya. I didn't like her long Odysseus-style sojourn to become NoOne, but obviously it was necessary to believably imbue her character with the extreme fabulousness she operates with now. Her sparring with Brienne was delicious. Littlefinger and Sansa watching, imagining each observation, was fun.

Arya seemed so less mechanical during this episode. When I saw her figure from the rear, on a horse looking down at Winterfell, I was reminded of her dad.

Amazingly, I don't think there's any heat between Jon and Danerys. Maybe the writers can try to help that along... I don't see chemistry.

The battle, from when Bronn first heard distant hoofbeats, was exquisitely orchestrated. I loved the touch of the Dothraki effortlessly jumping on their horses' backs like Huns to fight with bow and arrow!

The acting is superb.

Loved the instantaneous reversal of fortune re Lannisters, Targarean- the Iron Bank, the granaries.

Also loved that Dani eschewed her male advice and did her thing, but she better get over that knee issue.
Lash

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 04:31 am
"Dickon."
Lash

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 04:34 am
@Lash,
When will Bran tell Arya and Sansa that Littlefinger betrayed their dad?

Littlefinger's designs on Sansa will likely soon give way to his desire for self-preservation. He knows Bran is a seer. He must know he's not safe there.
izzythepush

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 05:53 am
@Lash,
Dani was advised not to use her dragons against a city filled with civilians. She didn't, she attacked an army on the battlefield.

Arya has long been one of my favourite characters and I think she will kill Cersei, and the mountain.

Bran has made both Littlefinger and Arya a bit uncomfortable, but it's the meeting with John Snow that's important, I think that may be a finale.

Al Murray was on Thronecast, and he pointed out that we don't know if John did bend the knee, quietly and privately in the 'cave of convenience.'
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 06:19 am
@Lash,
That's who I think saved Jaime.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 06:21 am
@Lash,
I don't think Bran is so concerned about such things anymore, and I don't think Littlefinger knows Bran is a seer. He has some indication of Bran's abilities, but not much.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 06:42 am
Wow. Al Murray hasn't even come up on my radar!

I do get Bran's transition; family may be a distant thread in his reality, but he is operating among family. I think the revelation will come out.

I don't think Jon will ever take the subservient role to Dani.

Last episode was satisfying.

Team Lannister is down for the count. Wonder if it'll hold, or we'll see more reversals.

Wonder if Dani will help Theon rescue Yara. A night raid on the Red Keep would be fabulous.