Blackberry tea and pee

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 12:12 am
I am curious if drinking an abundance of blackberry tea can harm you...it seems it changes the color of urine...is there a dye to worry about?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,430 • Replies: 13
Topic Closed

centrox

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 02:48 am
Blackberry tea can affect your urine colour/color when taken in normal amounts. Although used by alternative medical practitioners to treat diarrhea, blackberry tea in large doses can also cause stomach upset, including nausea and vomiting. If you are concerned about a condition you are aiming to treat with blackberry tea, see your doctor. Taking any alternative-medicine stuff in large amounts can be a mistake. People have died from drinking too much carrot juice for example. Sometimes people think (if a little of this does me some good, then a lot of it will do me a lot of good. Often it does not work like that.

farmerman

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 10:19 am
@centrox,
I need a link on the carrot juice thing. I knew you could get a letal dose of Vitmin A from eating polar bear so Ive put that species off my diet(maybe just special occasions like a potlatch)
0 Replies

centrox

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 11:55 am
Well, I did some checking, and the only story I can come up with is this one... I am doubtful now because Wikipedia says you can't get hypervitaminosis A from beta carotene. Some sources from since that time say the guy must have died from the vitamin A tablets he was also taking. So I might have to eat crow over this. Would that make me sick, do you think?

Quote:
Carrot‐Juice Addiction Cited in Briton's Death
THE NEW YORK TIMES FEB. 17, 1974

LONDON, Feb. 16—A coroner's inquest here has found that the death of a 48‐year‐old health‐food enthusiast was caused by “carrot‐juice addiction.”

The coroner's court heard evidence this week that Basil Brown, a scientist had taken 70 million units of Vitamin A in 10 days. In addition he was drinking about a gallon of carrot juice a day during that time. His skin was bright yellow when he died.

http://www.nytimes.com/1974/02/17/archives/carrotjuice-addiction-cited-in-britons-death.html
farmerman

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 02:21 pm
@centrox,
did I mention that its eating the liver of the polar bear that will kill ya. Still, Id keep my monthly portion of polar bear meat at about 8 oz or less
roger

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 02:25 pm
@farmerman,
Polar bears are under extreme environmental stress. Do your part in thinning the population.
0 Replies

centrox

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 05:00 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
did I mention that its eating the liver of the polar bear that will kill ya.

No, but it appears in stories of doomed polar expeditions etc. Also moose liver can do it.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 05:11 pm
@centrox,
I've got peculiar eyes, easily found on a2k re ossobuco, but by now they are just my eyes.

Many years ago and far away, now, I was suggested to use lots of vitamins. I also remember being a kid who needed to scarf carrots. On the other hand, maybe not.
I am not your biggest carrot fan. I also remember there are limits.

By now I've been medically aware.
0 Replies

Blickers

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 11:34 pm
@centrox,
It was around the 70s that the discovery was made-or at least popularized-that while vitamin A tablets can be harmful in excess, the beta carotene in carrots gets converted to vitamin A by the body as it needs it, and the rest is excreted.

I would point out that former 1960s radical Jerry Rubin went on a health kick and during that time, he drank so much carrot juice his legs reportedly turned orange. I don't know if he supplemented with vitamin A tablets. He didn't die of that, though, he later committed suicide.
0 Replies

Agent1741

Tue 5 Jun, 2018 12:40 am
Tea is a diuretic so it will make you pee more just like Budweiser & the like.
Blickers

Thu 7 Jun, 2018 12:27 am
@Agent1741,
Blackberry tea usually does not contain actual tea, which is the Camellia plant. It is usually herbal and caffeine-free.
Agent1741

Thu 7 Jun, 2018 05:36 pm
@Blickers,
Thanks I stand corrected.
0 Replies

RalphMcDonald

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 01:11 am
@visceral,
Blackberries are nutritious fruit but there are some disadvantages on eating. In few cases, these berries can cause some side effects such as changing urine color. A pale yellow color is the sign for healthy urine. Blackberry tea can cause red or light brown urine. If your urine color is like that means you might be suffering from some serious illness. It is best to consult your doctor and seek medical advice.
0 Replies

Rishi Sharma

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 12:46 am
I love this.
0 Replies