DRINKING MORE WINE..WHITE OR RED?

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 04:09 pm
In 1997 research showed that in Luxembourg people consumed over 63 litres of wine per person each year. In Canada it was just over 7 litres per person. Which end are you closer to and do you prefer white or red? Is wine just for special occasions or, like me, is it an essential part of your daily meal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,088 • Replies: 35
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 04:13 pm
Somewhere in the middle, and I prefer red. But even 63 litres isn't a huge amount. Imagine sharing a daily 750ml bottle between two people. About every three days, you'd drink 1L. Or about 120L/year.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 04:52 pm
63 litres isn't even trying! In the Old Country when I visited I'd be doing a litre a day! I assume it was the Old Country, after a litre of rough red wine any old country would do.

Here in Australia we still pour the stuff down our throats as though it was going to be banned tomorrow. About 20 1/2 litres per person making us the 17th ranked nation for wine consumption, in the USA the rate is the same as Canada.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 01:01 am
Red, definitely red. I'm like a fine wine, I just get better with age. Whites and blushes don't do that. I live in the California Wine country. I love my red wines!! Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 05:53 am
If I drink a half dozen glasses of wine a YEAR. that's a lot. If I do, it is usually a white wine, probably chablis.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 06:58 am
not a big drinker at all but i prefer white wine - and unsophisticated tastes - I like a cheap Lambrusco
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 04:22 am
Vivien wrote:
not a big drinker at all but i prefer white wine - and unsophisticated tastes - I like a cheap Lambrusco

Cheap and loose, just the way I like 'em.
0 Replies

west coaster

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:56 am
Re: DRINKING MORE WINE..WHITE OR RED?
pangolin wrote:
In 1997 research showed that in Luxembourg people consumed over 63 litres of wine per person each year. In Canada it was just over 7 litres per person. Which end are you closer to and do you prefer white or red? Is wine just for special occasions or, like me, is it an essential part of your daily meal?

With a wine maker as a life partner, I'm afraid to admit being on the upper end of that range!

And I hate the idea of having to choose between white or red. Depends on my mood and the weather - nothing better than a crisp white on a hot Aussie summer day, then again the open fire and glass of red on a cold NY night can't be beat. Then there is a glass of bubbly on ANY occassion, a rose with summer lunch, a good blue cheese and a sticky. Only thing I haven't worked out is when and with what to drink one of those big luscious Californian zinfandels - one glass and I'm knocked over!

I guess you can work out that wine is definately not just a special occassion drink for me! A great bottle of wine IS the special occassion.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:01 am
Part of what I do as a caterer is match wine with food, so there really aren't any hard and fast rules. For a dinner with hors d'oeuvres, the general suggestions are to start with champagne or sparkling wine, move to a chosen still white, then a chosen red for the main course, and if desired, a dessert wine or port. west coaster, welcome, and those zins go great with duck, especially when some oriental seasoning is involved.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:10 am
I don't drink a whole lot of wine, maybe a glass or two with dinner once
or twice a week. I like both ends of the spectrum, dry whites and hearty
reds.

Cav - I'd love to sit down to a meal with wines at each course as you've
described!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:12 am
I don't drink wine a lot, but I actually like it alot. Red is my color of choice. Shiraz...

Boone's is the finest winery I've heard of.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:15 am
AwRIGHT! Another Boone's Farmer!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:32 am
You should all make a resolution to drink more good wine in 2005. It's good for you - moderation is the key.

[ shoving moderation back into 2004 ]

I've told this story before. About 20 years ago we had a friend visit from Michigan, and we took him to the Napa Valley, where we visited several wineries. One of them was Mondavi, one of the most pretentious of all of them, where in order to get a free taste (at the time), you were obliged to take the entire tour. This included a tour of the vineyards as well as the wine making operations and cellaring.

We were pretty young and pretty restless, and stood out in the tour group. It didn't hurt that my friend is extremely good looking. About halfway through the tour, as we're goofing off in the back, she stops and asks him if he's in the wine business. He must have looked like someone.

Without batting an eye, he replies "Yeah, do you know my uncle Boone?". She didn't bother us after that.
0 Replies

pangolin

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 02:30 pm
Wine is all about the stories
cjhsa, good story...wine is all about stories. And West Coaster, champagne is definitely for all occasions. And it's the only alcohol you can drink before the strike of noon!

Working in the restaurant business I was very fortunate to have a tour of the Champagne Pommery cellars in Reims, France last year. 30 metres underground in former chalk mines they have 18 kilometres of tunnels housing about 5 million bottles of Champagne. Talking about finding myself in heaven! Off the main tunnels are satelite tunnels each bearing a different city name. The champagne stored in the named tunnels is destined for that city. At the time of my visit the newest name was Dubai. I can't wait for a tunnel named "Pangolin"...in my dreams I guess!

For any one visiting France it's a 11/2 detour by train from Paris and well worth the visit. Just remember if you decend the 110 steps into the Pommery cellars you will have to climb back up to get out!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:53 pm
I do not drink wine every day, more like every few days. I do like it with certain meals, but not necessary for every dinner. I like both red and white, but usually prefer red. I do not like sweet wines or those hybrid - rose or red zinfandel.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:56 pm
Red wines, especially in the winter. Lately I've been getting into the Oregon Pinot Noirs. They go down a treat!
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 04:01 pm
I prefer white wine and have a glass or two with dinner once in a while.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 12:46 pm
My favorite used to be red, but lately I have gotten into muscats and German Rieslings.

Rieslings are nice and crisp, and both go well with sweets.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 12:48 pm
Two buck Chuck rules! Smile
0 Replies

pangolin

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 07:03 pm
Rieslings and Muscats...try Torrontes
Portal Star...and every one else,

You might want to try a grape native to Argentina called "Torrontes". The best wines from the Torrontes grapes come from the northern part of the Mendoza province. They are not easy to find but are worth the search. It results in a wine that is a little bit Riesling, a little bit Muscat, a little bit Gewurtztraminer and something else. It is so versatile it goes with a lot of different types of foods, especially ones with a bit of spice. I discovered this grape only 5 months ago and think the resulting wines can be amazing. Watch out for Argentina!