Maureen Dowd baffles me

MaryM

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:23 am
NIce discussion. In an attempt to refocus, I should say I was speaking about the 4 issues in the bro in law's letter, starting with Stern and ending with the Pledge. You might also throw in his earlier reference to the MSM favoring the dems but why stir that can of worms. Anyway, those issues bother many people, including millions who voted for Kerry, I bet. To rephrase my original question, did Maureen leave that email hanging expecting those concerns to be derided by her readers? (I couldn't find the letters that fishin' referred to). Does she understand that those are serious issues to be decided and not fait accompli? If not, how representive of the blue states is she?

Baffled I was and am.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:36 am
JustWonders wrote:
Freeduck - I respect your opinion that there's a deep divide in the country, but I just don't see it in everyday life.

That's because the divide is both political and geographical. I imagine that if you live in certain communities everyone you see may very well be united. But venture out to other parts of the country and you will find something else.

I also imagine that if you knew for a fact that your ideas were the minority in your community you might decide to keep them to yourself.

Quote:

There's a divide here on A2K for sure, but given some of the comments before the election, I think most of us more or less expected that. I don't think it's necessarily representative of the country as a whole.

It just cannot be lost on the liberals or Democrats here that there are huge problems their party needs to address. We can forget the fringe groups on both sides (the right-wing religious nuts and the left-wing loonies - such as those at DU) because they don't count in the larger picture.

Most of us don't give a **** about the Democratic party or what it needs to do. We want an alternative to the Republicans and we don't care who that is. The divide will remain regardless of who the oposition party is and regardless of who the party is that's in power. This is about the american people and not about political parties.

Everyone likes it when leaders govern from the center, and if that is what this administration was doing then I might be able to agree that there is no divide in this country or at least that it is not as big as we think. The fact is that this president galvanizes people.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:44 am
MaryM wrote:
NIce discussion. In an attempt to refocus, I should say I was speaking about the 4 issues in the bro in law's letter, starting with Stern and ending with the Pledge. You might also throw in his earlier reference to the MSM favoring the dems but why stir that can of worms. Anyway, those issues bother many people, including millions who voted for Kerry, I bet. To rephrase my original question, did Maureen leave that email hanging expecting those concerns to be derided by her readers? (I couldn't find the letters that fishin' referred to). Does she understand that those are serious issues to be decided and not fait accompli? If not, how representive of the blue states is she?

Baffled I was and am.

My guess is she put it out there for all to see and come to their own opinions. It's already obvious that she doesn't agree with him. Can you see how her brother's letter might have sounded to someone who is not of the same political persuasion? Is it so unfathomable that there are ordinary americans who don't see those issues the way he put them and who were not supporters of Bush who might have seen his letter as a gloating in your face to those who aren't like him?
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:16 pm
I read Maureen constantly, and she never ever lets us draw our own conclusions........that is not her style.

No doubt the bro in law was gloating. What does that have to do with my question- do Dowdites think that those 4 things are NOT issues? Either you are bothered by them, his point, or you aren't. To my mind they are issues that have been "decided" in an especially heavy handed way. Smart people can figure out ways to rein in Howard without burning the first amendment, let viable fetii live and allow parents influence on their underage children without outlawing abortion, and utter the word God in public without causing people whose faith is NONbelief to wring their tits. So far the squeaky wheel on the slippery slope has prevailed. Most people think it shouldn't.

I have done a bad job, twice, of asking my question, and won't any more.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:45 pm
Maybe it's impossible to answer as to what someone else (Dowd or Dowdites) thinks of her brother's issues? I can only tell you my reaction to the letter. Which is that most people don't take those 'issues' you speak of to the extremes that her brother apparently does. Most people don't equate abortion rights with "seeing" an eight month old fetus's skull punctured. Most people don't take their children out of the public schools for 'moral' reasons. Most people understand that morality is not something that only Republicans embrace. Most people know how to change the station on their radio. People can disagree on those 'issues' and do so for good reasons.

And I have done a poor job of answering your question, and now will stop trying to.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 05:09 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Most of us don't give a **** about the Democratic party or what it needs to do.

Oh. Well, good to know. That explains a lot.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 05:20 pm
JustWonders wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Most of us don't give a **** about the Democratic party or what it needs to do.

Oh. Well, good to know. That explains a lot.

it does. not everybody refusing to believe that the sun shines out of dubya's ranch house is a liberal/democrat or whatever. Laughing
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 06:00 pm
There is a deep divide in this country. There must be, because everyone I know* supported Kerry, most of them vehemently, yet Bush won. So, presumably, there were plenty of people who supported him, some of them also vehemently.

If that doesn't bespeak "divide" then what does?

*Except for one or two family members, kinda like the Dowd family...
0 Replies