Nutcracker vs. The Rockettes

Linkat

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 11:56 am
For those not from the Boston area, we have a long standing annual Christmas tradition of the Nutcracker Ballet being held at the Wang Center performed by Boston Ballet. This year everything changed. Money incentives of course, the Wang Center was no longer going to host the Nutcracker, but instead host ''The Radio City Christmas Spectacular".

Granted I have not seen the show, but everything I have read and seen on commercials leads me to feel that the Rockettes Christmas show seems a bit tacky. All this ritz and glamour and Rockettes with reindeer antlers really does not speak Christmas to me. Know the Nutcracker is art, culture, tradition, and beauty has a much more Christmas feel to it to me. I guess I am just a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,165 • Replies: 3
No top replies

mac11

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 12:02 pm
Linkat, I've seen Nutcracker many times performed by various companies, and it's always magical, no matter the budget.

I've also seen the Radio City Christmas show a few times (most recently in 2000) and enjoyed it very much. There is lots of variety in the show; it's not all Rockettes. But I guess it's more "commercial" than Nutcracker overall. I didn't know that they were taking it on the road, and I'd guess that the road version is somewhat scaled down. (Fewer camels and sheep perhaps.)

Perhaps there's another venue/company in Boston that is performing Nutcracker? I can't imagine that in a city that size no one is doing it!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 04:05 pm
Mac11 - Boston Ballet is still performing the Nutcracker, but in a different venue. It has been tradition that the Wang host it, but because Boston Ballet is a non-profit, the Wang Center does not get as much money - the Radio City Christmas show is supposed to be a big money maker. That's o-k - since I really do not like the Wang Center, much too big and impersonal than most of the other theatres in Boston. The newly restored Opera House is going to host the Nutcracker in future years and that facility is absolutely beautiful. I guess I am just not into "commercial" type Christmas shows.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 07:55 pm
Then all is good after all! Smaller, historic, beautiful venue with the classic tradition you like. I'd go in a heartbeat to that one! Smile
0 Replies