Is debate possible between ignoramuses?How is it possible

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 07:25 am
I was referring to the headline of the thread. Timber landko had a good answer.. Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 08:34 am
bib quoth he-
"The wise in heart will receive commandments"
So go eat grass!
bib quoth further-"a man of understanding hath wisdom"
spendius thus assumes that a man who has wisdom is a man of understanding.Seems to make sense.
bib quoth on-
" he that hearken unto counsel is wise"
Grass is good for you.Eat it.

Quoth cav-"Don't bother bib".
Don't bother what?

Hey bib-you can't go "Ssh" on a WW Forum.That's pantomime.

There ain't no pot of gold I'm afraid.
There's confusion,defeat and disgrace.Bring 'em on!
I'll have the pot too.I'm dopey.
All together now.

spendius eschews dates.Gave that up way back.It's a weakness.Ask the Pope.A moment's glory is not my idea of a hostage to fortune.It didn't used to be in elite departments of philosophy either.It's an activity of the lower orders.(See the Yucky's VIZ or for those of a sensitive disposition Coronation Street.)My ears resound in the pub to the squeaks and squeals of the dates of the saps.Lola excluded.

Oh!!!! I do wish to study.The consolations of philosophy are limitless.

I'm glad you said "able" Piffka.

Debate societies eh?

You've not read your Foucault.Beware going back mate.It leads to origins and circles and taut teleologies.

I thought it was an interesting question.That,s why I put it in for debate.
I am allowed to be Devil's advocate aren't I.
What about debate between two bureaucracies who are assumed to know everything within the limits of their expertise.I'm not sure that's a good point but I'll let it go for now.Brute Nature doesn't debate and that is all knowing.Man might feebly try but he always ends up in the position of the Department of Philosophy at your local university.Defending the lifestyle he has carved out and passing it on to his progeny.
Scientists with a cyclotron know everything it is possible to know about those matters (which is not the same as being "all knowing") and they could debate about procedures within the limits of their grants.If Parados got in there and chipped in would they all laugh?"All knowing" is another slide off into the metaphysical-a cheapskate escape.I think the scientists would know who was an ignoramus and who wasn't.The same applies to tactics in football matches and market penetration by companies and everything else at the cutting edge.Look what happened to flat earthers when the first satellite photos were displayed.
Scientists,as a fact,are jumped up monkeys.It's just that they are the most jumped up monkeys so far and will be jumping even higher as we
wittle away at our keys.No scientist would claim any expertise he didn't have.
I do not scorn manual labour Piffka and I am surprised that you should even make such a suggestion.The only way I can think of that caused you to say that is that you believe that manual labour is not associated with a reasonable skill with words.You're a snob.I am here to defend all labour from scientists to ditch diggers.T'was a smear.And you can't deprive fictional characters of oxygen.You can use them as metaphors for developments and to provide warnings.I hope you don't think that you provided a proper answer to the point about animal lovers.

That's longer than I intended.Sorry.

spendius.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 08:55 am
Well Cyracus and timber landko have it taped.

We are all ignoramuses but some are more ignorant than others.

A little thing like that won't stop us debating will it?

Debating gives meaning to our little existences and that's not to be sneezed at these days.

We were debating in the pub last night where the word Nebraska came from.Settle it for us timber and while you're at it explicate Wisconsin for me then I can pose as really erudite tonight.Veblen comes from Wisconsin so I have a soft spot for the place.Also the hero in Titanic I think.

spendius.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 08:59 am
No, a little thing like that does not stop us debating. I am aware that I do not know everything. If I did, why would I bother talking to anyone?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:19 am
Cyracuz,

That's the first signature I've seen that won't wear out.

spendius.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:32 am
I remain ever-hopeful that someone will provide an explanation of why we are. But damn -- debates -- why can't people just "talk" anymore?

Have not read your philosophical Foucault, spendius, but when your hobnail boots are stomping the metaphysical, you're treading on my tail.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:36 am
spendius wrote:
We were debating in the pub last night where the word Nebraska came from.Settle it for us timber and while you're at it explicate Wisconsin for me then I can pose as really erudite tonight.Veblen comes from Wisconsin so I have a soft spot for the place.Also the hero in Titanic I think.

spendius.

Sure. The origin of Nebraska's name is an Otoe Indian word which translates roughly as "place of flat water". Wisconsin's name derivation is a Chippewa/Ojibwa Indian word which, depending on context, translates either as "grassy place (or prairie) or "place where waters gather". Interesting additional useless trivia; Nebraska has the most miles of river of any state, and Wisconsin boasts the most lakes. Erudite away, and enjoy.

And the DiCaprio character in "Titanic" supposedly hailed from Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, which is about a hundred miles or so Southeast of my location. Chippewa Falls and Eau Claire are more or less contiguous cities, Chippewa Falls being the home of the Jacob Leinenkugel brewery, of whose products I'm quite fond, and Eau Claire being the site of the nearest shopping malls of any consequence, for which cultural artifacts I don't muster much enthusiasm at all. Mrs timber has different priorities.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:45 am
Thanks timber,

I'll run rings round 'em toneet wi' that.You're a wizard.

What's the weather doing?It's bloody awful here.

spendius.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:51 am
Bright and sunny today, relatively still, temp in the upper 20's, about 3 or 4 inches of snow on top of pretty well frozen ground, which will make for good snowmobilin' when we get a few more inches of snow - really need about a foot before its suitable for that. The ponds and smaller lakes are skimmed over with thin ice, but the larger lakes still have mostly open water, and the streams and rivers have just a bit of icing at scattered spots along their banks. A while yet before ice fishin' is possible. Pretty nice today, really.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:51 am
Actually I thought the moral of Titanic was that if you live in Wisconsin you should never leave.That was the hero's mistake and it killed him.It is a super movie.

spendius.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:55 am
well, I may not know everything, but I do know a lot about some things. Debate is nicer, more fun........more gratifying among informed ignoramuses.

These guys in the CPD sound like fun loving creatures. They're having as much fun as I did the time the pigs ate little sister.

I feel a responsibility as a scientist who knows the great value of a satisfactory philosophy of ignorance, and the progress made possible by such a philosophy, progress which is the fruit of freedom of thought.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:57 am
It's dull and dank here.Almost dark and totally dismal.

I'm jealous as hell.I love stuff like that.

spendius.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:57 am
spendius wrote:
Actually I thought the moral of Titanic was that if you live in Wisconsin you should never leave.That was the hero's mistake and it killed him.It is a super movie.

spendius.

I've never seen it; I knew the ending.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:58 am
I like it here a bunch - real rural where I'm located, great huntin' and fishin', good neighbors, none of whom are within shoutin' distance, and thousands and thousands of acres of forrest. I've left a few times, but always come back, and my future plans don't include goin' away for anything other than short visits. I'm home.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:05 am
Quote:
and my future plans don't include goin' away for anything other than short visits. I'm home.

Well, at least, Timber........don't go asailin on a iceberg-immune pleasure ship.

I prefer my ships vulnerable, just like my men.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:09 am
Oh timber,
you're makin' me cry.

I have to sign off now.Lola,s getting philosophical.

See you tomorrow I hope.

spendius.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:12 am
Ahhhhh........... spendius has run off to the pub for the evening, I see.

Enjoy. We'll keep it warm for you here until you get back.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:38 am
Lola wrote:
Quote:
and my future plans don't include goin' away for anything other than short visits. I'm home.

Well, at least, Timber........don't go asailin on a iceberg-immune pleasure ship.

I prefer my ships vulnerable, just like my men.

sink me baby
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:02 pm
Husker,

Talk to me darlin........kiss. :-)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 01:02 pm
I'm all butter now -
0 Replies