draft ?

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 05:57 pm
what could be some social implications of a draft?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,764 • Replies: 23
No top replies

JanW

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 07:08 pm
That's an interesting question. Back in the 60s and 70s the social implications were pretty clear: those who had connections or could afford college managed to get exemptions or a danger-free assignment. Those who did not have connections or were not well off got to do the dirty work, and many died or had their lives irreparably altered.

This system with its blatant injustices was made somewhat better when the draft became a lottery, so there were efforts at that time to make it more just.

It is difficult for me to believe that Americans would accept an unjust draft system this day and age; we've become much more sophisticated about interpreting what the government tells us. At least, I hope we have! At the same time, I cannot see the sons and daughters of Congressmen/women being drafted, either.

Another interesting question would be that of conscientious objection. There would be a lot more of those this day and age, I think.

In short: good question. I have no idea as to the answers!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 07:20 am
NONE - Since there is currently no draft, only registration with Selective Service at present and for the forseeable future.

However, I always felt that ALL H.S. Graduates complete a mandatory 2 year committment to their Nation.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 07:26 am
And so you did what for your two years? Just curious.

Until the Republicans find a sure way to protect their base from actually doing something dangerous, there will be no draft.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 07:54 am
Joe Nation wrote:
And so you did what for your two years? Just curious.

Until the Republicans find a sure way to protect their base from actually doing something dangerous, there will be no draft.

The FIRST 2 years of my 4 year committment of voluntary service to my Nation int he US Navy, I went through Basic Training as well as other training in order to prepare myself for the missions I was sent on by my Commanding Officers.

How 'bout you?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:34 pm
I learned to think for myself instead. In the long run, who do you think will benefit the country more?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:02 pm
Quote:

How 'bout you?

I participated in the anti-war movement through two Gulf wars!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:08 pm
woiyo wrote:
...voluntary service...
Quote:

So you think the personal choice you made is appropriate for everyone else? Cool! Let's implement the Vegan law next!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:53 pm
What Vegan Law???
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:01 pm
woiyo wrote:
However, I always felt that ALL H.S. Graduates complete a mandatory 2 year committment to their Nation.

Quote:
Article XIII.

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Well, I don't believe in involuntary servitude, whether it be in the military, or some other national committment. Apparently, the folks who amended the Constitution in 1865, felt the same way that I do!
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 05:54 pm
1) It is nice to say that we don't believe in involutary service - but every freedom comes with a price - the price of upkeep - which must be paid by someone. It falls on the people who - if they feel it necessary to protect our nation from its enimies and there is a lack of 'volunteers' - can have a draft to protect the freedom of the whole.

2) It is very easy to say - I wouldn't do it - but still take advantage of the freedoms won by others who did pay that price. It is easy to say but it isn't necessarily virtuous.

3) If we really want to fight the draft - the only way possible - to have an effect - is to participate in some sort of civil disobiedience - like fill the jails with 'protesters' who refuse the draft. However, most simply say that they would take thier freedom and run to Canada or Mexico.

4) Mandatory service in the Military is usually promoted by those who are not of age to be effected by it. Like old senators setting a drinking age at 21.

5) This conversation is moot - however - because there will be no draft. After seeing what happened last time (Vietnam) - the only way that activism ever happens is when you effect your constituents. This is the reason that for the most part we (in America) could have cared less about the shenaigans of the 2000 elections and the latest gulf war. We could care less that 1,100 poor 'volunteers' died in Iraq over a questionable (at best) war - because we can still drive our Humvee's and suck down our McDonalds on the way home to NOT watch the news and bitch about our jobs.

If the draft came you would see generation 'Y' rise up and get money from thier parents and flee this country so damned fast it would make your head spin. The poor ones, that could not escape, would be pressed into service but many would not go quietly into that good night. You say LA burn in the last 20 years and I think you would see it burn again.

You know as well as I do that this would never happen. When it finally effects us the government has two choices - leave Iraq in a situation of 'moderate stability' (read screwed) and come home. We did it in Vietnam, we did it in Korea, and we even pulled our funding and assistance out of Afghanistan when the going got funky.

There is a number out there kids - in the American psyche before we pull the plug on this abortion we call 'freedom in Iraq'. 5,000 - 10,000 - 20,000. It Vietnam it was 55,000 in Korea it was 33,000.

I suspect it would be around 10,000 this time around. You know as well as I do that the forces that be have done thier homework. There are more of them - and unlike the 'coilition of the willing' they are willing to die for what they believe in - in huge percentages.

TF
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 09:48 pm
woiyo wrote:
What Vegan Law???

The law that says, "I chose to be a Vegan, being a Vegan has been good for me, therefor all Americans should be Vegans."
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 07:40 am
MerlinsGodson wrote:
woiyo wrote:
What Vegan Law???

The law that says, "I chose to be a Vegan, being a Vegan has been good for me, therefor all Americans should be Vegans."

I am not familiar with Vegan Law and apparantly you misunderstood my statement.

I joined the military to serve my country. While I was draft eligible, I decided to join because I wanted to be in the Navy.

I did not state any opinion on the draft, yet offered an opinion that 2 years of service to your nation would not be a bad thing for young people to experience.

Why would that be a bad thing for young people considering we are at peace more than at war?

PS: Vegatables have feeling too!
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 08:19 am
Woijo:

1) I served 4 years in the Marine Corps and I served with a batch of guys who came from states that had the option of jail or the Corps. This, in my opinion, is much like jail or the army concept if we had madatory service. Most of these guys hated being there and did thier best to gu up the works. Most of us either wanted to be there or had resigned ourselves to the fact that we had signed away a bit of our life and had to make the best of it. These other guys were just doing time. They woudl rather do it while 'free' to have leave, better food, and have the chicks dig you a bit than in jail. But for the most part they were slugs and I wanted them out of my corps.

2) You and I wanted to be there and from the way it sounds you, like I, had for the most part a positive experience. Not these dudes. They have to be there and they will do as little as possible. Guys like you and I have to take up thier slack because they generally did the bare minimum.

TTF
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 08:33 am
I think the military has come a long way in how they "market" themselves since the Viet Nam era. Technological advances has changed the "military life" and from just a educational perspective, there are tremendous opportunities for young people to gain experiences that they could never ever obtain in civilian life at entry level positions.

Many parents are concerned about the cost of college these days, yet send their kids to some university and no major is declared. Whats the point of that? Imagine if those same kids spent a year or 2 in military service "looking around" at what is oferred while earning a modest income? Would the average kid be better off with 2 years of liberal arts studies or 2 years of military service?

You bet there were knuckleheads drafted into service who had no business being in the military.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:49 am
I agree that the military markets itself better today, but most people think the same way I do about it; those commercials you see on TV only show the pretty side of the military.

Or, as my buddy who is a former marine sniper put it, the military is 10% cool as sh*t, and 90% boring as hell.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:02 am
Guess not everyone finds it boring.....

Quote:
ONE SOLDIER'S LEADERSHIP

Source
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:42 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I learned to think for myself instead. In the long run, who do you think will benefit the country more?

Cycloptichorn

I love that!
If only the rest of the world could get on the same page and think about the future growth, development, and sustainability of the world, rather than "how we can get as powerful as we can so that we can just take what we need...the hell with the rest of you".
Continuing to champion defense, military action, and military servitude as the sole means to show one's patriotism does one's country a great disservice, considering the countless (and more noble) things one's country is renound for.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:43 am
JustWonders wrote:
Guess not everyone finds it boring.....

....Jordan joined the Army

And now everything in America needs celebrity endorsement.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 05:05 pm
Press releases are just that. It was the military that invented the idea of Hurry up and wait.

TF
0 Replies