When you first started to drink.....

boomerang

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 08:59 pm
I started working in a bar when I was in high school and quickly learned the drinking rules.

Rule number one: if you can't see through it, don't drink it. I've lived by that rule and it has served me well.

Unfortunately, that rule does not apply to other.... um.... flavors..... of intoxicants.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:00 pm
Interesting rule.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:02 pm
I agree with you Timber, on the Jager...Nyquil. Premium Tequilas are great, I love Cuervo Gold 1800, if thats what you meant. And yes, there is a difference in Tequilas. One you start fires with, the other you can drink.

I don't know what made me think of this...

But it never seemed to fail, that I, was always the one that played nurse maid to some underage girl in the ladies room. The last encounter that I faced with that situation, I ended up holding the poor girls hair while she puked and her friends cried...about the trouble they were in.

To say the least, they probably thought I was a cold hearted bitch. But I helped clean her up, and then turned around and eat thier asses out. Asked them what did you expect? You bring a 17 yo girl down here, she gets drunk, sick and now you have to take her home? And your scared? Well, I would be too...

I saw to it that they had a DD, and gave her two tylenol and told them to get her a sprite......and some crackers. That her sobering up was out of the question. That sleep would be the only thing to bring that on for her. And they should have thought about that beforehand.

I know she had to feel terrible the next day........
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:05 pm
I have a friend that drinks to drinks...you know, the one that you can't see through......ouccchheeemommmaaa....... Shocked
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:16 pm
I think the rationale with see through drinks woks like this, littlek -- The mixers used not only up the sugar intake (which leads to a crash) but make the liquor go down easier (which leads to dehydration) -- both of which contribute to a hangover. By drinking "see throughs" you pace yourself better and avoid the massive sugar intake.

Makes sense to me!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:16 pm
Who here has eaten the agave worm in the tequila? I have. I chomped that little sucker like it was a...something you would like to chomp. Can anyone help me out with that simile? Anyway, that little worm f*cked me up, boy. Like a drunk bomb.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:18 pm
Little suckers never bothered me much .... now the twig of wormwood at the bottom of a bottle of real absinthe - different story.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:18 pm
Never eat THAT worm...hehe
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:19 pm
Boomer - what about bloody marys?

Kicky - I ate a worm, didn't chew it. I was completely sober and didn't drink after eating it. No effect.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:22 pm
I had already had a sip or two from the bottle. And I was probably only about nineteen and a bit of a maniac, so I didn't stop drinking after that. But it sure seemed like that little guy did damage.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:23 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Little suckers never bothered me much .... now the twig of wormwood at the bottom of a bottle of real absinthe - different story.

Never heard of that. What's could be so bothersome about a twig?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:25 pm
Wormwood is the thing that makes Absinthe illegal in the states.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:26 pm
Hmmm, I don't understand. What's in it? It's just alcohol, right?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:27 pm
Why do I always miss out on these deep conversations?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:27 pm
I always consider a bloody mary to be an appitizer -- part of the meal, not to be overly consumed.

Absinthe? Yeah, I know a guy who knows a guy who....

Actually, I think makers of perfumes are the only people who can get the real deal anymore.

And that's not liquor - its a drug!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:29 pm
Quote:
Absinthe is an alcoholic drink made with an extract from wormwood (Artemisia absinthium). It is an emerald green drink which is very bitter (due to the presence of absinthin) and is therefore traditionally poured over a perforated spoonful of sugar into a glass of water. The drink then turns into an opaque white as the essential oils precipitate out of the alcoholic solution. Absinthe was once popular among artists and writers and was used by Van Gogh, Baudelaire, and Verlaine, to name a few. It appears to have been believed to stimulate creativity. However, in the 1850's, there began to be concern about the results of chronic use. Chronic use of absinthe was believed to produce a syndrome, called absinthism, which was characterized by addiction, hyperexcitability, and hallucinations.

WHAT IS THE ACTIVE COMPONENT IN ABSINTHE?
This issue is not entirely resolved. Alcohol is definitely one main component. However, another candidate is the monoterpene, thujone, which which is considered a convulsant. Thujone's mechanism of action is not known, although structural similarities between thujone and tetrahydrocannabinol (the active component in marijuana) have led some to hypothesize that both substances have the same site of action in the brain. Thujone makes up 40 to 90% (by weight) of the essence of wormwood, from which absinthe is made (2). Thus, thujone would appear to be a good candidate for a second active component in absinthe. Indeed, thujone has long been considered to be the neurotoxic cause of absinthism.

How much thujone was present in absinthe? Steam distillation of wormwood yields 0.27-0.40% of a bitter, dark-green oil (3) In a typical recipe for absinthe, 2.5 kg of wormwood were used in preparing 100 liters of absinthe (4). Typically, 1.5 oz was consumed (diluted with water) per tipple (5). This is equivalent to 4.4 mg wormwood oil per drink, or 2-4 mg thujone. This is far below the level at which acute pharmacological effects are observed.

Pernod is basically absinthe without the wormwood. It is named after Henri-Louis Pernod, an individual who ran an absinthe factory in France in the early 1800s. As a substitute for wormwood, the modern drink Pernod uses increased amounts of aniseed. Ricard is the name of another modern wormwood-less absinthe.
Also, vermouth, chartreuse, and benedictine all contain small amounts of thujone. In fact, vermouth, which is made using the flower heads from wormwood, takes its name from the german "wermuth" ("wormwood"). link
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:31 pm
Did you write that, K?

You're really quite eloquent.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:32 pm
Wow, interesting. I'd like to get me some of that absinthe stuff.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:36 pm
It's still for sale in Spain.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:37 pm
To Blow something up with Kicky? lol
0 Replies