&%#@^* Autodialers!

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 04:29 pm
So, I'm about fed up with the telephone solicitations from autodialers.

People with residential telephone service can call the National Do Not Call Registry and have their number(s) removed.

However, businesses may not do that--so we have to waste our time and money (they tie up the lines, I have to pay someone to answer the telephones, etc.) listening to recorded messages.

I guess once in a while doesn't bother me, but we get some seven autodialer calls a day. This does not include the live telephone solicitors.

The worst thing is that many of these systems can't be hung up on. That is, I can't hang up the line to free up my phone, so I'm stuck for up to two minutes.

Then, the b-----s at NSBA call about EVERY OTHER DAY, on more than one line! This has been going on for about a year.

I finally listened all the way through their excruciating message in order to get a phone number (many autodialers don't even leave a phone number) to call them back.

So I call, wait on hold, get someone on the line whose personality turns for the worse once she finds out I'm not callling to place an order, then request to be removed.

I try to give her all of my phone numbers (we have several lines, and there's no way to know which lines they are calling in on) but she won't listen to me. She says that if I just give her the one number, all numbers at the same physical address will not be called either. Yeah, right.

I tried several times to ask her to please take the other numbers too, but she simply refused, said "have a nice day," then hung up on me.

That was last Thursday. Sure enough, got another fricking call from them again today.

Do you know of any legal action I can claim against them (even if I just have FCC code to throw in their face, it may help)?

Thanks,

General Tsao
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 902 • Replies: 6
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 04:44 pm
Hmm...I have a home business line, and get this crap constantly. I'm not sure what you can do legally, unless they are calling you before 7 AM or after 9 PM. I also cannot block numbers, because I have a business phone, and my provider does not provide that service for business lines, just residential.

For fun, do a Google search for Jim Florentine. He may give you some ideas. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:36 pm
Anytime the phone rings, I automatically look at the Caller ID. I keep it right in front of my computer on my desk so it's easy to see. If I recognize the name or number, I answer it. If not, I let the machine get it. Then later I check my messages and return the legitimate calls.

I get four or five of the nuisance calls a day, but they only distract me for a few seconds now.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 12:13 am
Yeah! These gizzerblinkers have the cajones to call and ask you to "Please hold for an important message." Has anyone ever sold something by calling a customer and putting them on hold?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:15 am
I had a weird one where I used to work. It'd call and just say (automated) "I'm sorry, I must have called the wrong number, Goodbye" and hangup.

Happened seevral times a week with the same voice. I think it was the equivalent of testing to see if the email on one's list to spam is valid.

It was quite a pain.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 04:38 am
Somebody from my bank left a message "Please call me about a matter of some urgency." So, stupid me, I call in a panic and he asks "we were just wondering if you would like to sign up for automated banking", which we already have!
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 07:54 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I had a weird one where I used to work. It'd call and just say (automated) "I'm sorry, I must have called the wrong number, Goodbye" and hangup.

Happened seevral times a week with the same voice. I think it was the equivalent of testing to see if the email on one's list to spam is valid.

It was quite a pain.

Craven,
I think I know the reason behind your mysterious calls, as I knew a Principal in a marketing firm--one of the first firms to do automated messages on a large scale in my industry.

Anyway, the systems back then would only leave messages on answering machines or voice mail systems. If someone picked up the phone live, the computer would just state, "Sorry, wrong number." and hang up.

If the computer reached a voicemail system, it would leave one of those annoying messages to the effect of, "Hi, this is Ken, I'm sorry I missed you--I was calling to let you know about blah, blah, please call me back at 800-555-0000."

This message of "sorry I missed you" was never intended to reach a live person.

General Tsao
0 Replies