Gotta love Fox!

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 04:17 pm
Maybe Canadians don't want Fox, because we don't like seeing people be told to shut up and do as I say.

O'reilly being O'reilly
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,008 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 04:18 pm
Great clip!
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 08:01 pm
I suppose some Canadians want it and some don't? Is there sort of an en masse feeling up there that eliminates the sort of political divide found in the states?

For pure one sidededness and rudeness I have always thought Chris Matthews takes the cake. But then I watch Chris a lot and o'reilly never.
0 Replies

Square

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:57 am
Well, the link didn't work for me. I am guessing I have seen it before though. I suppose Oreilly saying shut up 7-8 times in the (I would guess) 6 years he has been on the air is really terrible. Maybe you should stop reading moveon.org if you want to condemn corrupt information outlets.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 11:44 am
MaryM wrote:
I suppose some Canadians want it and some don't? Is there sort of an en masse feeling up there that eliminates the sort of political divide found in the states?

For pure one sidededness and rudeness I have always thought Chris Matthews takes the cake. But then I watch Chris a lot and o'reilly never.

I've seen Chris go over the partisan edge and I've seen him badger people, but mostly I get the sense that he is letting people have their say. O'Reilly has a reputation for bullying and keeping much tighter control over his content. An example would be his willingness to cut people's mikes after berating them so that they don't get a chance to respond.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 11:56 am
I think most canadian really appreciate 'fair and balanced' news. I have yet to see this done on fox, but then again comparitively, we do get a vastly diverse cross section of news programing that is not seen or heard in the states. So this network will only add to this mix. I won't be watching much, I prefer our own networks and the BBC.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:05 pm
Square wrote:
Well, the link didn't work for me. I am guessing I have seen it before though. I suppose Oreilly saying shut up 7-8 times in the (I would guess) 6 years he has been on the air is really terrible. Maybe you should stop reading moveon.org if you want to condemn corrupt information outlets.

Well, before you continue making statements about my habits of information gathering...I'll just hop in here....
I condem corrupt information outlets that are hand delivered to your doorstep with your local cable package, that give the illusion...no wait, make claims of empirical truth and profess to be agenda free.
I willing typed in moveon.org for the first time yesterday, and probably won't be frequenting it because of it's incredible bias--but the site is nevertheless not spewing "unbiased information" to my living room 24/7.
If I need a leftist bias I stick to CNN, Time, Newsweek, Mother Jones, or the Atlantic magazine. Fox gives me enough from the right.
I posted it for its comedic value because whether you think so or not, I think that O'Reilly is a schmuck...and that would still remain true if he leaned to the left a bit more.
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:13 pm
O'Reilly cuts peoples mikes? He is an oaf. Chris just talks and talks and talks.

Michell Malkin, darling of the right, came on Hardball to dicuss her book (which point is that WW2 internment was justified) and never did talk about it. Chris asked her repeatedly how the heck she could defend the Swift boaters, something that was not evident at all, but pretty likely I suppose. He literally did not let her get a word in either to defend herself, change the subject back to her book. After crossfire, Olbermann was chatting with Chris, referred to his mugging of Malkin, and said "never prouder, Chris".

It was a kodak moment for fairness. I always remember that all these guys are makeup-wearing entertainers.....it helps a lot.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:52 pm
Olbermann is the king of sarcasm. It was that entire week of hardball that I thought Chris stepped over the partisan line. Before that, I always thought he was walking the line pretty closely. Then he threw some real hard ones at Malkin and one of the swifties (who was poorly prepared) and I thought he was showing some bias. Though it's possible that he thought they were being treated too softly by others and felt the need to correct that -- who knows. He really had his dander up though.

I prefer Chris to the heads on Fox because he asks better questions in general. Since I watch these kinds of shows primarily to gather information and not to watch an ambushing a lone dissenter (the fox formula) I tend to prefer him.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:53 pm
O'Reilly can get on my nerves easily. Matthews frequently gets on my nerves. Olbermann is an idiot. ($.02)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Olbermann is funny.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

I like him.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:01 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Olbermann is funny.

FreeDuck wrote:
I like him.

Okay ... he's a funny idiot.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:06 pm
I supposed that's the closest I'm going to get to changing your mind on something.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:06 pm
I'm not entirely sure what Fox thinks it's going to add to the market here. We've got everything from Michael Coren (falling off the edge of the right side of the spectrum) to errrrr (who's at the other end?) Avi Lewis.

The thing I'm worried about is that it will reflect a dumbing down. I like the right/left debates I hear and see here, since we've got some really good debaters on both side - and I appreciate a truly elegant debate. I get Fox on satellite, and I can't say I've ever witnessed a finely tuned and balanced debate there.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:12 pm
I can't say I've ever witnessed a finely tuned and balanced debate there.

Yup, it is no contest in the left/right debates on Fox. It is a rare set of talking points by the guests from the Left that carry the day.

Of course, on O'Reilly, if they begin to score some points Bill interrupts or, in the extreme, cuts their mikes if they continue.

And that is despicable IMO.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 11:05 am
Seriously?
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 06:03 pm
All of you can just SHUT UP! Wink That sounds SO rational and added so much to the dialogue didn't it?

TF
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 12:51 pm
O'Reilly with Houston minister and motivational author Joel Osteen, 12/21/04:

Quote:
O'Reilly: I want you to counsel me, pastor...I'm sitting here, I'm fighting this ferocious battle against people at this juncture who want to change America, all right? They want to change it to de-emphasize religion, they want a country like Sweden where less than ten percent of the population goes to church. Now I believe the Founding Fathers wanted religion in the public marketplace as a behavior deterrent because they knew they couldn't control the population, and they felt that a faith-based population would be more likely to behave. Very practical.

So I'm fighting against these secularists and they're sliming me, they're smearing me. Okay? So I can't go around like you with a happy face all the time, I gotta hit these people right between the eyes. I gotta have negative thoughts because they're bad people and I'm fighting. It's like a war. So I'm not really doing what you advise, am I?

Osteen: Well I don't know if that's true, Bill. You're doing what God's called you to do, and I'm doing what God's called me to do, but I mean, there's going to be negative things in life. The Bible says to do good to your enemies, but then there's other times when you gotta stand strong and fight the good fight and I think that's what you're doing out there every week. My calling is to encourage people and give them hope, but I think we all have different callings.

O'Reilly: Okay, so I'm not doing anything wrong in your estimation? Because I have to dwell on the negative an awful lot here, pastor. You know, I'm not skipping in to the Factor every day. I'm reading this stuff, and I know it's harmful, and I know it's bad, and I'm going, oh, I'm gonna get this S.O.B. I don't know if that stacks up.

Osteen: Well I don't know, I wouldn't say you're doing anything wrong, you know what you're doing, if it's what God's calling--

O'Reilly: I don't know if God's calling me. I'm taking a lot of punishment here. Sometimes I'd like to say, Michael the archangel, get down here and kick a little butt with me, you know? It'd be helpful, because I'm taking a lot of punishment, so is my family. I mean we are taking a lot--of--guff. And it's garbage.

So what I'm trying to get across to you is, you are putting out a message of hope, and I respect that. And you are putting out a message, think postive, and I respect that. But those messages, hope and positive thinking, don't win wars. They don't.

--snip--

Osteen: ...you can't change it, I mean, can you change people, not saying stuff bad about you? I don't know.

O'Reilly (smiling): No, I can't, unless I execute them, which would be against everything we both stand for. Pastor, I want to wish you merry Christmas...

Just for that, I'm sending the bastard for Christmas a case of falafel and two loofahs the size of a small tree trunk.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 01:38 pm
My respect for Joel diminished quite a bit.
0 Replies