Jake Tapper Implies Trump is a Liar After Saying There Are No Comey Tapes

Blickers

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 06:54 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote Brandon9000:
Quote:
Trump never said that there were tapes. Where is the lie?

He deliberately hinted that there could be tapes, and then later admitted he made up the story to "keep Comey honest", (ie, push Comey to tell the story Trump's way), which is obstruction of justice.
Blickers

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 07:03 pm
@Real Music,
Quote Real Music:
Quote:
Trump May 12th response on twitter included the statement about the possibility of tapes, which happened after Comey's leak to friend.

I'm afraid you made an error. Comey did not "leak" to a friend before May 12 at all. After Trump told Comey to lay off the Flynn investigation, Comey went home, wrote that down along with the account of the whole meeting, then deliberately told several senior officials in the FBI what Trump told him about inhibiting the Flynn investigation so that if there is an investigation into it, which there almost certainly would be, at least these officials would back up that Comey told them what happened right after it happened. It was a way for Comey to protect himself from being accused of making up the story later.

After Trump went on record on May 12 giving his account of the meeting months before, then Comey told a friend AFTER May 12 for the purpose of having that friend release the news to the press. The "leak" happened after Trump told the world about the meeting May 12. The informing of senior FBI officials happened well before May 12, and was not intended to get into the press.
Blickers

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 07:12 pm
@layman,
Quote Layman:
Quote:
The was NO May 12 meeting between Comey and Trump. Comey had already been fired by that time.

Oops, my error. The meeting where Trump tried to get Comey to kill the Flynn investigation happened months previously, the press only published the story shortly before May 12.

Quote Layman:
Quote:
Comey's leak of his private, one-on-0ne, conversation with Trump was published on May 11.

Oops, your error. Comey did not leak the news of Trump's pressuring him to drop the Flynn investigation, he merely reported it to senior FBI officials so they can corroborate the fact that Comey was not making the issue of Trump's obstruction of justice up later.

Face it, this whole thing comes down to whether people believe Trump or Comey, and Trump has already confessed to one Federal crime and one international war crime on Twitter already, to go with myriad reversals of position on Twitter since 2016.
Real Music

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 07:32 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
I'm afraid you made an error. Comey did not "leak" to a friend before May 12 at all. After Trump told Comey to lay off the Flynn investigation, Comey went home, wrote that down along with the account of the whole meeting, then deliberately told several senior officials in the FBI what Trump told him about inhibiting the Flynn investigation so that if there is an investigation into it, which there almost certainly would be, at least these officials would back up that Comey told them what happened right after it happened. It was a way for Comey to protect himself from being accused of making up the story later.
Thanks for the correction. Comey had already protected himself against accusations of making up the story at some later date by telling several senior FBI officials about the Flynn conversation Trump had with Comey. He has the senior FBI officials to back Comey up of the timeline of when Comey told them of the conversation. Again, thank you for the correction. I cannot see this benefitting Trump in any way. We can see why Comey was hoping there was a tape. It would appear that the tape would have backed up what Comey said happened. It would appear that Comey had nothing to hide regarding what was said in their meeting.
Blickers

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 09:19 pm
@Real Music,
No problem. I made some mistakes on this thread as well, including one for a bet. So many things going on in this investigation, it makes the head swirl to try to follow it.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 09:35 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Quote Layman:
Quote:
Comey's leak of his private, one-on-0ne, conversation with Trump was published on May 11.

Oops, your error. Comey did not leak the news of Trump's pressuring him to drop the Flynn investigation16.

What I said is 100% accurate. I did NOT mention Flynn. I said: "Comey's leak of his private, one-on-0ne, conversation with Trump was published on May 11."

After Trump learned (through the newspaper) that Comey was leaking ****, he published a tweet that said he better hope their weren't tapes if he was going to lie.

Comey, on the other hand, said he ONLY decided to leak AFTER he saw Trump's tweet. Not true, as Trump's atty pointed out. He had ALREADY been leaking BEFORE that tweet.
layman

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 09:55 pm
One should also keep in mind that conversations with the President are confidential and privileged, if they relate to government affairs, unless the President authorizes disclosure.

Quote:
Jonathan Turley, a law professor at George Washington University, said Comey’s sharing of the memo with a friend was "unauthorized and thus unlawful," because the material was FBI information covered by federal rules and regulations.

Comey was not allowed to treat the memos as personal property, Turley said, given that they were written in the context of a federal investigation, on an FBI computer and revealed to others in the leadership team.

Turley said Comey is unlikely to face criminal charges, but he could be found in violation of professional standards.

It is unethical, at best, so where's that put the question of Comey's "integrity?" Comey clearly wants to retaliate for being fired, and that motive overrides any other.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2017 04:22 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Quote Brandon9000:
Quote:
Trump never said that there were tapes. Where is the lie?

He deliberately hinted that there could be tapes, and then later admitted he made up the story to "keep Comey honest", (ie, push Comey to tell the story Trump's way), which is obstruction of justice.

First of all, saying "he better hope" is not lying. Secondly, the comment was clearly intended to induce Comey to tell the truth. Please cite any legal case in history in an English speaking country in which making a comment to induce someone to tell the truth has led to an obstruction conviction.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 03:44 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Im amazed at how he lies openly without any concern for truth. He's a damn psycho.

What's the big deal?

Or is this just because the Left is desperate to oppose him and has no real arguments against him?

I suggest that the Left simply accept their fate without a fuss. The American people have decided that the Republicans will run this country for the next twenty years, and that is just how it is going to be.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 03:52 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Tapes would only be a problem for Comey if Comey did not tell the absolute truth.

So by threatening him with tapes, Trump could only have been pressuring Comey to tell the absolute truth.

Trying to convince someone to tell the absolute truth is not obstruction of justice.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 03:53 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Trump has already confessed to one Federal crime and one international war crime on Twitter already

I think that is unlikely.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 06:04 am
I haven't read this thread, but this issue is really bothering me.

If I thought someone was planning to lie about a conversation they'd had with me--they told other people they'd taken copious notes of the conversation--I would definitely let it be known that I'd taped the conversation to keep them honest.

If he subsequently announced he'd lost his copious notes, there's no way in hell I'd believe him.

Comey was planning to lie on Trump.

That was an elementary school bluff that caught Comey.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 08:03 am
@layman,
I don't know where you are getting your timeline of events between Trump and Comey. On May 12, 2017 is when Trump hinted about tapes in a tweet. It was not reported in the news about Comey's memos until May 16, 2017, so that must have been when Trump learned about the memos as well, after he already tweeted about Tapes. Like Blickers has said, Comey told some senior people at the FBI about the memos, he did not leak to the press and I don't recall anything about the memos being published until May 16, 2017 after Trump's tweet of "hoping there no are tapes." If you have a link to a source reporting about the memos on May 11, 2017 would please share it? If you have already, just refer to it.

A timeline of James Comey and President Trump (CBS NEWS)
layman

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 08:10 am
@revelette1,
I don't see anything you just said that I haven't said.

On the other hand, I said OTHER things that are relevant which you have ignored--perhaps because you didn't read them, I dunno.

But "my" timeline is no different than yours with respect to the very limited matters you discuss.

I do not, however, agree with some of the conclusion you draw without any basis, such as:

Quote:
he did not leak to the press

Only he could have leaked it, whether directly or indirectly. Unless it was Trump himself, only Comey could have been the source of the information, because only he and Trump were there, according to him, anyway.

Trump was RESPONDING to a Comey leak when he made the tweet. Is that anywhere on "your" timeline?

If you actually care to understand my point, then I would suggest you read my posts. If you don't, that's OK, too, but then there's no need to address me about the topic of "my" timeline.
revelette1

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 08:28 am
@layman,
I am talking about the Comey memos being published in the press on May 11, 2017 as you claim. Do you have a link proving such a claim? Comey did not leak to the press. He told a friend about the memos and the friend leaked to the press on May 16, 2017. Not May 11, 2017 as you claim.
Lash

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 08:36 am
@revelette1,
Jesus ******* Christ. If Comey leaked to a friend, he ******* leaked to the press. Talk about entrenched democrat gaslighting lying!! Sheesh!

Do you know what leaking is? It's almost never direct --- hence the term "leak."

I need an aspirin.

revelette1

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 08:42 am
@Lash,
I knew that Lash, I think you need more than aspirin. That point is hardly relevant to the debate at hand. The point is layman's claim of May 11 being the date it was learned about the memos when in fact we didn't learn about the memos until May 16. On May 11 Comey only reported to the senior officials about his private conversations which I don't think ever got leaked.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 08:44 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I am talking about the Comey memos being published in the press on May 11, 2017 as you claim.

As I said, you need to read my posts if you're going to summarize them. I have NOT claimed that Comey's MEMOS were "published" on May 11. In fact, I've have explicitly said I am NOT making that claim.
revelette1

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 08:47 am
@layman,
OK, before I get anything else wrong, what are you claiming was published on May 11, 2017 concerning Comey and Trump?
layman

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 09:00 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

OK, before I get anything else wrong, what are you claiming was published on May 11, 2017 concerning Comey and Trump?

I don't recall "everything" that was published, but I do know that some of it came from what were later discovered to be private, one-0n-one conversations. Those are, according to Comey, summarized in memos, so it was about the CONTENT of a memo. However, the memo was not directly quoted on May 11, as it was on May 16.