Dumb Question.

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:23 pm
I guess that depends on the eye of the beholder. For most people money and success are related, but for those same people it could be that excessive wealth and corruption are also related. Not really going anywhere with this, just wanted to add my opinion.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:28 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
In our society, Money equates with Success, like it or not.

THAT is the problem. We have this perception, but it doesn't really match reality, yaknow?

Cycloptichorn

I guess it depends on how you define "success," doesn't it?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:31 pm
Guess so. Tell me, what is particularly 'successfull' about being rich?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:48 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Guess so. Tell me, what is particularly 'successfull' about being rich?

Cycloptichorn

If you define success in terms of accumulating material things, the answer is obvious.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:55 pm
But! From your post on the other thread:

Quote:
Speaking as a non-extremist Christian -- and thus a "religiously-minded" sheep: If we're right, we're going to heaven when we die. If you're right (and even if you're wrong), you're not - you're going to the flaming pits of hell.

If you want to go to heaven, as a religiously-minded person, shouldn't you be avoiding the accumulation of material goods?

"For the love of money is at the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows."
1 Timothy 6:10

"No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."
Matthew 6:24 (Jesus of Nazareth)

As I said previously, and you no doubt agree with me according to your religious scripture, we are teaching our children the wrong things; specifically, that success should not be defined in terms of accumulating material things.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 03:08 pm
Cyclops wrote:
As I said previously, and you no doubt agree with me according to your religious scripture, we are teaching our children the wrong things; specifically, that success should not be defined in terms of accumulating material things.

If you go back and check, you'll see that I do agree with you. :wink:
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 03:34 pm
Quote:
We've taught our society that money=success, instead of HAPPINESS=success...

Perhaps I should have been more clear earlier. The position of president deals with a huge amount of money. The person in that office should have demonstrated success with money in order to be successful as a president. You could argue, I suppose, that the middle-income person who balances his own budget, is capable with money, but there is a big difference between the risk/reward in a personal budget and a business budget. It's about stewardship of other people's money.

I could be the happiest fool in the world - that would in no way make me a good president. I could be the richest person in the world and be a poor president. But, if I were a good steward of my own money and accumulated personal wealth (not necessarily filthy rich) and was a shrewd business person and helped others to accumulate some wealth, then I would have contacts and money and have demonstrated an ability to lead that the person simply taking care of their own family has not.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 03:41 pm
Idaho wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps I should have been more clear earlier. The position of president deals with a huge amount of money. The person in that office should have demonstrated success with money in order to be successful as a president. You could argue, I suppose, that the middle-income person who balances his own budget, is capable with money, but there is a big difference between the risk/reward in a personal budget and a business budget. It's about stewardship of other people's money.

I could be the happiest fool in the world - that would in no way make me a good president. I could be the richest person in the world and be a poor president. But, if I were a good steward of my own money and accumulated personal wealth (not necessarily filthy rich) and was a shrewd business person and helped others to accumulate some wealth, then I would have contacts and money and have demonstrated an ability to lead that the person simply taking care of their own family has not.

I don't really agree that the position of president requires demonstrated success with money. That's pretty clear just by looking at the incumbent. Maybe the chairman of the fed, or the economic advisor. The federal government isn't (or shouldn't be) a profit making enterprise.

A president should have some experience running operations of one sort or another -- experience making decisions after weighing alternatives. Business experience would certainly qualify but so would a lot of other kinds of experience. A president should also have an understanding of government and international affairs. These are things that wouldn't necessarily come with riches.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 05:52 pm
Idaho wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps I should have been more clear earlier. The position of president deals with a huge amount of money. The person in that office should have demonstrated success with money in order to be successful as a president.

I think you have something there. GWB is demonstrating the same success with our money that he did with his.
0 Replies