Why Rebublicans will continue to win elections...

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:57 am
Violent felons' rights restored while lesser offenders waited

In a state that denies voting rights to tens of thousands of nonviolent felons, violent criminals and crooked public officials have slipped past the Clemency Board with their civil rights restored.

BY DEBBIE CENZIPER AND JASON GROTTO

Florida's Clemency Board has restored voting rights to murderers, rapists, batterers, drug traffickers and corrupt public officials -- at the same time it barred thousands of lower-level criminals from the polls, a Herald investigation has found.

Marvin Beauchamp shot and killed his wife in front of their 8-year-old son after an argument at the dinner table.

Former Miami Beach Mayor Alex Daoud demanded bribe money from people who wanted to do business with City Hall.

Terry Freeman robbed two people at a Broward County hotel with a sawed-off shotgun.

All can vote, serve on juries, even hold public office.

But Josh Craddock, convicted at 22 for trying to steal car parts, can't.

''It doesn't make any sense,'' said Craddock, now 26, a sales manager living in Boca Raton. He was released from prison almost three years ago after his first and only felony conviction. ``It's obvious that I've been overlooked.''

Clemency rules are supposed to ban felons who commit serious crimes from regaining their civil rights without an extensive state investigation and a formal hearing. But The Herald identified at least 400 released from custody between 2001 and 2003 who had their civil rights restored even though they appeared ineligible under the state's clemency rules.

Dozens were convicted of violent crimes, such as battery on a police officer, arson, armed robbery -- felonies that require a Clemency Board hearing before civil rights are restored.

Scores got their rights back even though clemency rules bar them if they still owe money to crime victims. Others got rights restored twice in 10 years, which is prohibited. Some regained their rights even though they should have been rejected for at least two reasons.

Two hundred other felons who committed disqualifying crimes got their rights back through a loophole in the state's clemency rules.

''There's got to be a better way to manage it,'' said Attorney General Charlie Crist, a Clemency Board member, when told of The Herald's findings.

Gov. Jeb Bush, who leads the Clemency Board, would not comment on The Herald's findings. A spokeswoman for Bush released a statement Friday saying, ``The Clemency Board continues to work on ways to further streamline the clemency process.''

Overall, the cases uncovered by The Herald account for about 6 percent of the civil rights restorations granted to felons released from custody in the two-year period from 2001 to 2003.

It's evidence, civil rights advocates say, that Florida's $4-million-a-year clemency system is arbitrary, unbalanced and unfair. In the last six years, the Clemency Board has denied civil rights to thousands of drug abusers, forgers, thieves and other nonviolent offenders whose crimes warranted little or no prison time.

`WHOLLY IRRATIONAL'

''If the state is really committed to this as a legitimate government interest, why are they administering it in such a wholly irrational manner?'' asked lawyer Jessie Allen, with the New York-based Brennan Center for Justice, which has sued to force Florida to overturn its 136-year-old voting ban on felons.

``The system is highly unmanageable, demands tremendous government resources and creates gigantic space for errors.''

Most states automatically restore the civil rights of felons after they have served their time. Florida, however, demands that they apply to the Clemency Board, composed of the governor and the three members of the state Cabinet.

The Clemency Board uses a series of rules specifying who can regain rights without appealing directly to the board, which can take years. The Parole Commission decides which applicants are eligible for the faster process, used by 99 percent of all felons who have had their rights restored.

The work is complicated, time-consuming and loaded with pitfalls that can lead to errors.

Parole examiners must sift through court records, databases and criminal files from other states. Records are often incomplete or inaccurate. Some are missing altogether.

In many cases, convictions that are decades old still count against felons.

The Clemency Board, meanwhile, has repeatedly changed the eligibility rules. Under Bush, the board has revised the rules three times in the past six years.

The last change, in 2003, added eight more crimes that disqualify candidates from regaining their rights without a hearing.

''A total mess,'' said Jeffrey Jansen, a longtime parole examiner and supervisor who retired last year. ``They were changing rules all the time . . . so one part of the state would do one thing and another part of the state would do another.''

Freeman, 32, can vote again even though he and two companions, using a shotgun, robbed two customers at a Dania hotel in 1992. He was sentenced to 18 months in prison. Clemency rules require armed robbers to appear before the board. Freeman got his rights back in 2002, no hearing required. He could not be reached for comment.

`HEINOUS CRIMES'

''Lower-level offenders should have their rights restored. But there are felons convicted of heinous crimes and when they committed these acts, they lost their rights and privileges,'' said Pat Tuthill, of Fort Walton Beach, a victims' advocate, whose 24-year-old daughter was murdered in Colorado by a felon five years ago. ``I don't feel that they should be out there voting and making important decisions that are going to have a direct impact on our communities.''

The Herald identified felons who appear unqualified simply by searching a Department of Corrections database -- one of the first places parole examiners are supposed to look when researching applicants.

''Sounds like the M-word to me,'' said Crist, referring to mistakes.

The Herald identified 200 other felons who committed disqualifying crimes -- including killings and rape -- but regained their civil rights without a hearing because of a little-known loophole in the clemency rules.

In 1985, Beauchamp shot his 23-year-old wife in the head with a shotgun as she washed dishes at their home in Delray Beach.

Convicted of manslaughter, he was sentenced to 12 years in prison but served four. His civil rights were restored in 1990, before there were rules disqualifying violent felons.

In 1999, he was convicted of another felony: selling cocaine. When the Parole Commission received his civil rights application, the murder wasn't held against him.

That's because the Parole Commission has a policy of not taking into account disqualifying crimes if the person had rights restored after that conviction, even though Clemency Board rules say all convictions count.

The loophole allowed Beauchamp to get his rights back a second time in 2002 when others convicted of far lesser crimes were rejected. Beauchamp could not be reached for comment.

The governor's office points out that Clemency Board members are given only the names of applicants deemed ''eligible'' by the Parole Commission and their most recent convictions, so the board would not know who may have a violent past before approving applications.

''We're trying to modernize this system, and it's not easy to do,'' said Florida Chief Financial Officer Tom Gallagher, a Clemency Board member. ``We recognize it.''

One of the problems is that the Parole Commission has just 55 examiners statewide.

Although the agency has repeatedly asked for more staff members, including 20 additional positions for this year, Bush has not included the request in his budget.

Civil rights advocates including Howard Simon, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida, also say the system is stacked against indigent felons who don't have the funds or political clout to lobby their case.

''Some of it is connections. It's who you know,'' said Richard Greenberg, a Tallahassee defense lawyer, who often calls Cabinet aides on behalf of his clemency clients. He estimates that legal fees for civil rights cases run between $5,000 and $10,000, depending on how complicated the case is.

''Like anything else in Tallahassee, there can be some politics involved,'' he said.

EX-MAYOR GETS RIGHTS

Former Miami Beach Mayor Daoud got his rights back even though rules block felons convicted of public corruption from regaining their rights without a hearing. He was convicted more than a decade ago of tax evasion, obstructing a federal grand jury probe and taking bribes while in office.

Daoud said he applied for his rights in 2000. The Parole Commission sent him letters asking him to explain his crimes.

Daoud, 61, a lawyer, said he spent hours writing detailed responses. Last year, he got a certificate by mail restoring his civil rights -- with no hearing.

''I don't think the system could operate if they had a hearing for every individual,'' Daoud said. ``I think it's set up as a protective measure. My case wasn't just a static-type situation. I aggressively pursued my rights.''

This month, Daoud voted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 875 • Replies: 12
No top replies

panzade

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:22 am
It's a mess Cav. Amazing that this would be posted by a Canuck
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 07:35 am
Kind of my thought.

Some days I think we may as well give up then other days I think what would I do with my time. Might be my bi polar speaking.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 07:48 am
Republicans will continue to win elections as long as the electorate favors their message and messenger over any other alternative. Simple as that.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:51 am
What was the message this year?

'Say no to fags'? How about 'Don't think about our 413 billion dollar deficit?' or 'Killing Iraqis is OK as long as the long-run goal is accomplished?'

It makes me ashamed to be an American...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:06 am
There was a program on my local NPR station last night that claimed there was a discrepancy between the election vote total sheets signed by local election officials in Floriada and vote total sheets shown to the public. This program claimed that the "public" documents were fakes and the real documents were being disposed of. Futher that the "real documents" showed totals favoring Kerry which the fake documents showed totals favoring Bush. This was a spannish language program and I have no ways of assessing the truth of the claim. Nor have I seen these claims repeated anywhere else. Is there anything to this or is this more post election paranoia?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:11 am
We'll never know if the count was crooked in Florida, so we may as well forget about it. Unless, of course, someone comes forward from the winning side and says, "I can't live with myself any longer. The vote was fixed, and I have the proof." Unlikely to happen, I fear.

Anyhow, I firmly believe that the chickens will come home to roost. The economy is gonna tank unless the Bush team does something beyond lowering taxes. Sinking dollar, huge debt: We are being financed by foreign investors who may decide to take their money and run. Then the fun will begin!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:17 am
Strangely enough, I was just searching for weird Florida news, and this was way more interesting than the "dog-eating gator caught" story. Confused
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:36 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
What was the message this year?

'Say no to fags'? How about 'Don't think about our 413 billion dollar deficit?' or 'Killing Iraqis is OK as long as the long-run goal is accomplished?'

It makes me ashamed to be an American...

Cycloptichorn

O.K. I sensed that from your previous posts.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:56 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
There was a program on my local NPR station last night that claimed there was a discrepancy between the election vote total sheets signed by local election officials in Floriada and vote total sheets shown to the public. This program claimed that the "public" documents were fakes and the real documents were being disposed of. Futher that the "real documents" showed totals favoring Kerry which the fake documents showed totals favoring Bush. This was a spannish language program and I have no ways of assessing the truth of the claim. Nor have I seen these claims repeated anywhere else. Is there anything to this or is this more post election paranoia?

Blackboxvoting / Bev Harris is gathering the info. Was reported end of last week that signed tallies were found in the trash, new printouts had been made for FOIA requests that didn't match election night tallies, etc. Should know something soon and it WILL be reported.

Anyway, I think the issue this year was moral values. Is that something we Blue State Democrats seem to be missing?

Red States Love 'Desperate Housewives' and 'Playboy'

By E&P Staff

Published: November 21, 2004 4:00 PM ET

NEW YORK Much of the post-election analysis in the press has centered on so-called red state values and the alleged "values gap" in America. Perhaps with that in mind, The New York Times presented two stories which seemed to give lie to some of the post-election chatter concerning superior values in the red states.

On Monday, an article by Bill Carter showed that network TV execs remain unworried about any backlash to racy dramas in red states. In fact, the sex-obsessed "Desperate Housewives," which now ranks second nationwide, is doing very well indeed in Tulsa, Okla, where it ranks 3rd; Orlando, Fla. and Salt Lake City, Utah, where's it's 4th, and in Atlanta, Ga., where it's #1.

"We say one thing and do another," said Kevin Reilly, president of NBC Entertainment.

On Sunday, the Times presented a map and chart ranking states in what it called "random" categories, again throwing doubt on red state piety. For example, the states with the three highest divorce rates are all red (Nevada, Arkansas, Wyoming), while Massachusetts has the lowest rate.

Top three states for readership of Playboy magazine? Again, all red (Iowa, Wyoming, North Dakota), and they all top heathen New York by 2-1 margins.

Suicide rate? Once again, all red (New Mexico, Montana, Nevada), with the lowest rates all-blue (New Jersey, New York, Massaschusetts).

Murder rate? Again, reds in the lead, with two of the three the worst (Mississippi, Maryland, Louisiana). Blues hold two of the three with lowest rates (New Hampshire, Maine, South Dakota).
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:06 pm
Edited it out. Should have stayed silent when in a bad mood .
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:49 pm
Squinny, thankyou for the info. I was not aware of Harris and her project.
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 03:10 pm
D'art:

Quote:
We'll never know if the count was crooked in Florida, so we may as well forget about it. Unless, of course, someone comes forward from the winning side and says, "I can't live with myself any longer. The vote was fixed, and I have the proof." Unlikely to happen, I fear.

I think we will. Not in time to stop the next couple of years, but I some how think we will know the past two elections were dishonest. (More than usual I guess I should add) And I believe there were more states than Fl involved.
0 Replies