What is religion?

Leadfoot

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 11:27 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I think such broad definitions of religion are but another version of anthropomorphism

I've never understood this aversion to anthropomorphism. It is so often used as some kind of proof that any argument for a God resembling us is bogus. Why?

Why isn't it logical that a sentient creator would create beings who think in a similar way? It seems odd that those who think God does not even exist would make the claim that God would have to be fundamentally different than the beings he created. I mean - WTF..
edgarblythe

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 11:37 am
@Leadfoot,
He would have to be less than an amoeba to be in vogue with current thinking in the early stages of evolution.
Leadfoot

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 12:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
I thought we were talking about Man's concept of God.

And now you make him "less than". If God gets any lower in your opinion, you'll never find him.
Glennn

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 02:03 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Why isn't it logical that a sentient creator would create beings who think in a similar way?

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Does that answer your question?
edgarblythe

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 02:33 pm
@Leadfoot,
He's all imagination.
Leadfoot

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 03:10 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
Does that answer your question?

In a way, yes. It tells me you don't understand what 'made in the image of God' means.

Bill Gates lives in a different 'world' than I do. He has massively more resources than I do and can accomplish goals that are far beyond what I could afford to contemplate. But I have no trouble relating to how he thinks. We both wear our pants the same way.

Helpful?

Leadfoot

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 03:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
He's all imagination.

Sounds like a CI answer.
Glennn

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 03:21 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
It tells me you don't understand what 'made in the image of God' means.

And this tells me that you don't understand that you've simply chosen one of two contradictory statements to base your opinion on. But the operative word here is contradictory.

"For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

". . . made in the image of God."

Now do you see?
edgarblythe

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 03:40 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
He's all imagination.

Sounds like a CI answer.

CI knows that people claim there is a god, but have no proof. Imagination is the proper word.
Leadfoot

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 03:44 pm
@Glennn,
If the book is valid, The correct interpretation is the one that has no contradiction.
I see no contradiction but clearly - you do.

So why would I want to accept your contradictory interpretations?
Or is it that you don't actually see the book as valid?
Glennn

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 03:49 pm
@Leadfoot,
Is the book valid?
Quote:
So why would I want to accept your contradictory interpretations?

It is not my interpretation that is contradictory; it is the statements that are contradictory.
Leadfoot

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 03:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
CI knows that people claim there is a god, but have no proof. Imagination is the proper word.

We all acknowledge that there is no physical proof of a spiritual thing. But how would CI, or anyone else, know anything about the personal spiritual experience of another through written or spoken word.

If someone tells you that they love their wife or husband they of course can't prove it to your satisfaction. Does that mean it's just their imagination? That seems terribly hubristic to make that claim.
Leadfoot

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 03:56 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
It is not my interpretation that is contradictory; it is the statements that are contradictory.

I guess that does answer my question about your opinion of the book then.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Glennn

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 04:01 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I guess that does answer my question about your opinion of the book then.

But it doesn't answer my question as to whether or not you believe the book is valid.
Glennn

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 04:06 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
If someone tells you that they love their wife or husband they of course can't prove it to your satisfaction. Does that mean it's just their imagination?

Not if it can be shown that a spouse exists to be the recipient of that which is called love.
Leadfoot

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 04:20 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
But it doesn't answer my question as to whether or not you believe the book is valid.

Yes, I think it tells a coherent (and wonderful) story about what God is doing here. That story is only evident if you look for an interpretation where the statements are not contradictory but still logical and rational.
Leadfoot

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 04:22 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
Not if it can be shown that a spouse exists to be the recipient of that which is called love.

Doesn't that only prove he has a wife?

It was the spiritual experience that I was claiming to be hard/impossible to prove.
edgarblythe

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 04:45 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

We all acknowledge that there is no physical proof of a spiritual thing. But how would CI, or anyone else, know anything about the personal spiritual experience of another through written or spoken word.

If someone tells you that they love their wife or husband they of course can't prove it to your satisfaction. Does that mean it's just their imagination? That seems terribly hubristic to make that claim.

So sue me.
ossobucotemp

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 06:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
And where is CI?
edgarblythe

Sat 29 Jul, 2017 06:38 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I saw him on facebook yesterday