cjhsa

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 05:56 pm
Check out this site I came across.

http://www.getusout.org/

I'm no fan of us being part of the U.N. any longer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 6,004 • Replies: 97
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:20 pm
Wow

I am sure glad that someone is protecting my children from those foreigners who want to take away my guns.

I was wondering what the John Birch society people were up to anyway.

What a riot!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 11:34 pm
http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/04.11.18.AnnanThreat-X.gif

The UN has in recent times shown itself to be habitually impotent and chronically corrupt. Anyone know how many gazillions of dollars the US pays to support that organization? I'm an advocate of taking the money we throw at the UN each year and using it to pay for our war on terror instead.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 11:53 pm
Anybody who thinks bible belters or birchers have any sort of a lock on hating the UN ought to ask New Yorkers how they feel about the UN. I get the feeling if Atta and those other assholes had flown those two planes into the UN building, they'd be heros throughout New York and there'd be statues of them.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 12:06 am
Re: U.S. out of the U.N.?
cjhsa wrote:
Check out this site I came across.

http://www.getusout.org/

I'm no fan of us being part of the U.N. any longer.

I'm conflicted on this issue.

I believe a global organization of nations is of considerable value and yet I am of the opinion that the UN is a failed and corrupt institution.

I'm not sure that reform is possible and so perhaps it is time for the US to pull out and thereby pull the plug on the UN as the plug was pulled on the League of Nations.

The difficulty with reforming the UN is that there is, at best, a small minority of member states who desire reform. Therefore, any US led effort on reform would almost certainly require us to flex our muscles and this would invariably lead to resentment and opposition.

The UN need not be the puppet of the US or its greatest cheerleader, but it's sins have gone far far beyond a lack of compliance with American wishes.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 01:05 am
gungasnake wrote:
Anybody who thinks bible belters or birchers have any sort of a lock on hating the UN ought to ask New Yorkers how they feel about the UN. I get the feeling if Atta and those other **** had flown those two planes into the UN building, they'd be heros throughout New York and there'd be statues of them.

You mean, New Yorkers wouldn't bother at all about the death of some hundreds of their co-citizens, only if this building was distroyed? (I know that you and others don't bother about dead foreigners.) Shocked Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 07:54 am
Just telling you what I hear from New Yorkers.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 07:58 am
Sorrx, but that seems more than unbelievable: better to have thousands dead (neighbours, family memmbers etc) tha to have the UN in in the city?

My God.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 09:50 am
I am undecided on this issue. On the one hand, the UN is a disaster and has repeated worked against us. But, on the other hand, there is something to be said for, "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 10:37 am
As a NEW Yorker. I would like to see that grand and overpriced failure shipped off to somewhere deserving of it. Such as France.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 10:52 am
You really shouldn't take Gunga seriously, WH.

The UN only has as much legitimacy as the US gives it. The more we flaunt the UN, the less it's going to work.

It COULD be our strongest ally/enforcement arm for what needs doing in the world, but that would take some, oh, I don't know, signs of leadership and compromise on our part? We aren't very good at leading OR compromising...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 11:16 am
gungasnake wrote:
Anybody who thinks bible belters or birchers have any sort of a lock on hating the UN ought to ask New Yorkers how they feel about the UN. I get the feeling if Atta and those other **** had flown those two planes into the UN building, they'd be heros throughout New York and there'd be statues of them.

What you have said here is false.
New Yorkers are very tolerant people!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 11:22 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You really shouldn't take Gunga seriously, WH.

You don't want to spoil my only amusement on a dull November weekend, won't you Laughing
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 11:31 am
hahahahahahahahah, this site must have a glitch in it, it says I edited my post 12 times, I only edited once, oh my God, this is so funnny, 12 times?..hahahahahahahahahaha
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 11:37 am
Now this getusout.com is a private website and one
shouldn't focus too much on the opinion of private people
having such controversial ideas.

The UN is a humanitarian agency that needs the industrial
nations, in particular the US, to help aid less fortunate
countries.

The US cannot alienate itself from the world and
think that this will stop terrorism - on the contrary.
Playing world police and being selfish about its own needs,
will fuel hate and terrorism.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 11:53 am
You are correct in one area. The US should stop being the worlds poliiceman. We have spent more than enough blood and treasury in trying to do so. We should be concentrating on the needs of Americans and our own national interests.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 12:42 pm
We should remain in the UN but should insist on reform of its, by now, very complacent and moderately corrupt bureaucracy. We must recognizae that the UN represents the world's average levels of wisdom, freedom, democracy, and integrity. In short, nothing to brag about. In addition we must accept that the General Assembly will almost never favor our views.

On the question of preserving our national sovereignty from the creeping encroachment of ill-conceived additions to "internatinal law, however, we should firmly resist. No more sappy stupidities such as Kyoto, Law of the Sea, or the ICC.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 02:40 pm
Quote:
No more sappy stupidities such as Kyoto, Law of the Sea, or the ICC.

Why georgeob1,
Do you have an escape route out of this earth, once
it is overpolluted and not inhabitable any longer?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 02:56 pm
Looking at how far left the UN has swung in recent years, looking at how ineffective the UN has been in brokering peace anywhere in recent years, and looking at how corrupt some in the UN have done as testified by the OFF scandal, I have questioned whether the UN has outlived its usefulness for some time now.

If it can be repaired/reformed, fine. If not, I would vote for the US to strike out on its own along with a few of its best friends and put together a multinational organization that actually works. The others will tag along, no doubt, but they would have to join the new thing with all its reforms in place.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 03:00 pm
You really mean, the US and few of its best friends could form multinational organisations similar to UNICEF, UNESCO, UNHCR, UNIDO etc etc etc?

And this all done by the USA and -perhaps!- Israel?
0 Replies