will this wiring cause a fire?

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2017 09:36 pm
See photos. Does this scenario pose a fire risk?

http://imgur.com/a/Utx38
http://imgur.com/a/yFHkZ

Background:

Hi everyone, I'm a beginner DIYer and don't know jack about anything electrical. So forgive me for being stupid in this area...

I saw a ceiling fan on good discount and went down the rabbit hole. Realized I also had to buy a safety brace and ladder to complete the project. Doh! Ripped off the old light and the old electrical box, which had been nailed in and required a bit of work to remove.

I abandoned the project when I realized that there was insulation above the electrical box. I could not secure the safety brace without damaging the insulation plastic. And crawling up into the attic to re-jig the insulation is out of my comfort zone... it looks like Mars up there and I fear a mis-step will send me crashing through the ceiling drywall!

Gonna cut my losses here and just cover the hole. Barely used the light anyway. My question:

Here are a couple of photos (different angles) of what I will be covering up with a decorative plate. Black wire and white wire with about 1/2 inch of stripped wire at the end, covered by marret connectors. Bare copper ground wire screwed to electrical box.

Everything's covered in black anti-oxidant paste... my fault after spreading it everywhere. (Why was it there in the first place?)

Thanks a million everyone!!!

cfelty79

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2017 09:29 pm
@adrianyoung,
As a professional I'm supposed to tell you a few options that will make it safe according to n.e.c. and they can be challenging to a novice so just covering the hole will be safe and pose no danger even if the switch is on energizing the wires. Cover it with an octagon blank plate and paint over it but don't pack it full of drywall mud and burry it completely, leave it accesable. That is the easiest fastest cheapest way and it's code legal. I hope this helps
jespah

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 07:13 am
@cfelty79 ,
Really? Which code? Which city? Which country?
cfelty79

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 02:48 pm
@jespah,
Any zip in the united states. The fact that there isn't a box behind the one in the picture he showed and there isn't proper insulation on the wires or that there isn't a connector is all irrelevant because he bought the house that way it's grandfathered in and he didn't open walls so legally he doesn't have to bring it up to current NEC
jespah

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 03:08 pm
@cfelty79 ,
Understand that this is an international website. What is up to code in the US might not be in Canada or Brazil, etc. (so please specify in the future, thank you). Smile
cfelty79

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 04:53 pm
@jespah,
In my first sentence I said NEC so that narrows it to USA but next time I will use more caution
0 Replies

cfelty79

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 05:07 pm
@jespah,
The main issue is safety and it doesn't matter where he lives it would be just fine. For us sure we can clean the violations up and hang a fan like he wants in 20 min but for him it's a Saturday and 3 trips to the hardware store so a blank as is will last until the house falls down and never short out until then.
0 Replies