The Minimum Wage Cannot Be Raised....

JustWonders

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 11:51 am
And SPF 45...don't forget the SPF 45 Smile
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 11:56 am
willow_tl wrote:
Some are in circumstances where minimum wage is their sole income..not for any faults of their own...I lost my parents and was working for 3.25 and hour at texas tom's and trying to finish high
school...

Yep, and when you have adult expenses, and the cost off living is rising every year, the minimum wage should rise too. How can anyone defend the Congress, in not meeting this need of the people.
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 12:00 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
dare2think wrote:

Phoenix, how would you like to work for minimum wage

I did, when I had my first job. At that point in time I was not worth any more to an employer than minimum wage. Got some experience, more education, and went on to bigger and better things.

1. Just because you have worked for minimum wage(most of us have), does not mean the minimum wage should not be raised when the cost of living has gone up considerably.

2. All we want is a decent living wage, and if that calls for the minimum wage being raised once in awhile this is what should happen.

3. Some people seem to think that only youngsters are being paid minimum wage, but this is not true, millions of Americans who are heads of households are getting minimum wage and for the moment this is all they can do.

4. Legislatures will vote themsleves a raise hike and they have more money than they need to live comfortably, while the average guy may need that extra money the minimum wage hike will give to pay the utility bills, or feed his/her children better meals.

5. I know that I can talk until I am blue in the face and the Repubs will never see the need, I have no more comments for this thread.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 12:12 pm
Just because you have worked for minimum wage(most of us have), does not mean the minimum wage should not be raised when the cost of living has gone up considerably. All we want is a decent living wage, and if that calls for the minimum wage being raised once in awhile this is what should happen.

Damn right. The same wage as our representatives make would do the job.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 06:39 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Interesting that the immediate jump is to the 16 year old who wants a job to buy cd's and dope.....my cubs hustle jobs and money to save for college, and put away a little all year for Christmas to buy for their friends, sibs, and me and squinney....and a few cd's. My cubs are more of the typical teenagers I'd say, than the 16 year old hustling for dope. Rolling Eyes

Why do you read all sorts of negativity into his posts.

His point is valid, regardless of the specifics of the examples. What the kids spend their money on (I worked for my rent longbefore 16) doesn't change the difference between "bread winner" and "dependent".

Teenagers and heads of households are very different. Minimum wage should takethe difference into consideration (perhaps a different minimum wage for minors?)

Quote:
The point of my post wasn't so much the minimum wage isue as the selfish c*#ts in Washington issue......who probably invented the primary breadwinner versus crack head 16 year old argument.....

What point is that? <sincere question, I missed it>
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 06:41 pm
Larry434 wrote:

Damn right. The same wage as our representatives make would do the job.

Do you want your representatives to represent the minimum in standards as well?

Me, I want our government officials to be paid more. There is a theoretical correllation with quality and it usually does translate into a correllation in practice as well.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 07:01 pm
I am firmly with Craven on this one.

I want real talent running the country.

Same with public sector CEOs.

Also, despite all the constant slurs and so on that are cast at politicians, the job is very hard, they work unspeakably long hours - absolutely ridiculous ones - and there is a lot of responsibility.

CEO's running companies are paid millions - and get multi-million dollar payouts when they stuff up.

A CEO running, say health, or welfare, gets (here) maybe just $100,000 - and, if they stuff up at all, they are deeply accountable - straight out the door, as happened with one here a couple of weeks ago - for an action which she had checked with Treasury before she did it - out on her ear with nothing.

Running countries, and dealing with the institutions of our countries, are important jobs.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:06 pm
dlowan wrote:
I am firmly with Craven on this one.

I want real talent running the country.

Same with public sector CEOs.

Also, despite all the constant slurs and so on that are cast at politicians, the job is very hard, they work unspeakably long hours - absolutely ridiculous ones - and there is a lot of responsibility.

CEO's running companies are paid millions - and get multi-million dollar payouts when they stuff up.

A CEO running, say health, or welfare, gets (here) maybe just $100,000 - and, if they stuff up at all, they are deeply accountable - straight out the door, as happened with one here a couple of weeks ago - for an action which she had checked with Treasury before she did it - out on her ear with nothing.
Running countries, and dealing with the institutions of our countries, are important jobs.

and yet they sacramble and campaign for these jobs...knowing the salary.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:12 pm
In the budget just passed.....2 million dollars to attempt to purchase back the presidential yacht The Sequoia that was sold 3 decades ago......these are the people spending our money on their own raises who will not try to raise minimum wage because it is not fiscally responsible....

and say, what happens to the 2 million if it's not enough to win the bid for the yacht? Congressional pizza party?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:40 pm
Well, craven, bear, and dlowan. Good to see you agree with me that the raise the Congress just gave itself falls far short of what they deserve and calling for CEO size salaries for them.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 02:19 pm
The most laughable quote on this post is the one that hints that more congressional pay attracts better representatives. Show me proof of this. All I see are political hacks acting like they are royality, especially in the senate.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:54 pm
rabel22 wrote:
The most laughable quote on this post is the one that hints that more congressional pay attracts better representatives. Show me proof of this. All I see are political hacks acting like they are royality, especially in the senate.

It's really a very simple concept.

1) The better the pay, the more attractive the position.
2) The more attractivethe position the more competition for said position.
3) With more competition for the position there will usually be a better selection taht includes better representatives.

Of course, whether people actually vote for the good ones makes it hit and miss, but there is still a direct correlation between the quality of the position and the quality of the employee.

But even if you disregard all of that note that once they are in the position, and have some powers, having a decent salary helps prevent corruption and bribery.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:04 pm
That would be true if you discount political donations by special interest groupes. I consider our present system to be legal bribery as passed by those good honest politicians.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:37 pm
There certainly are bribes in any system, but I nations where the elected officials are paid less such things are far more common.
0 Replies