Fibre-linked atomic clocks put special relativity to the test

layman

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 07:19 pm
As I have pointed out before, as a young man Einstein was a devout disciple of the proto-positivist, Ernst Mach. Logical positivism, as a philosophy of science, has since been (after dominating for two or three decades) thoroughly discredited and rejected.

But Einstein was way ahead of the field in this respect also. After just a little bit of maturing, he came to reject (and virtually ridicule) Mach's positivism. When he later called it "nonsense" in the presence of Bohr, Bohr pointed out to him that he himself was the one who started the "fad" with his SR theory back in 1905.

Einstein's reply was (paraphrasing): "Perhaps I did embrace such nonsense, back then, but it is nonsense all the same."
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 07:34 pm
@layman,
Quote:
you may yet become world-famous as the modern-day Einstein
Yet Man he's dismissed by many

Quote:
Maybe it's just all way over my head, eh?
Not at all, Lay. It's over my head too
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 01:26 am
@layman,
For those who might be interested:

Quote:
The Sagnac effect in GPS, absolute simultaneity and the new meaning of time
18th International Workshop on ADC Modelling and Testing
Benevento, Italy, September 15-17, 2014

Abstract

The implementation of GPS systems has allowed the understanding of important facts about the true meaning of time and simultaneity. In fact GPS has became a fundamental source for the understanding of clock behaviour and synchronization, through the considerations of the relativistic effects affecting it. Among these, a very important role is played by the Sagnac effect, influencing the clocks readings. The correct consideration of such effect is fundamental in every synchronization process where the receiver is moving with respect to the source.

In this paper we show how GPS system demonstrates that the explanation of Sagnac effect given by the commonly accepted version of Special Theory of Relativity is not correct and the use of an alternative formulation based on Inertial Transformations must be used. This implies the adoption of a new synchronization procedure, the renunciation of the relativity of simultaneity, and a novel meaning of physical time.

V. CONCLUSIONS

A correct interpretation of light behaviour can be achieved only within a theory based on absolute simultaneity (i.e. that defined with respect a preferred inertial frame) in which, as occurs in the GPS, the clocks rates are adjusted not as a function of their relative velocity but of the velocity of each of them with respect the preferred (nearly) inertial Earth – centered non rotating inertial frame.... It has, as already shown, very deep consequences not only upon the definition of simultaneity but also on the meaning of time itself that must be considered as duration, namely as a mathematical parameter giving the numerical order of physical changes.

http://www.imeko.org/publications/tc4-2014/IMEKO-TC4-2014-361.pdf

As you may already know, and as this article mentions, the GPS does NOT use or rely on SR. It uses, because it must, a preferred frame of reference in the theoretical foundation which it relies on to achieve accurate results.
layman

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 02:08 am
@layman,
Quote:
As you may already know, and as this article mentions, the GPS does NOT use or rely on SR. It uses, because it must, a preferred frame of reference in the theoretical foundation which it relies on to achieve accurate results

That said, you can find any number of ill-considered articles which claim that the GPS "confirms" SR. Again, what it confirms is the accuracy of the Lorentz Transformation (as formulated and used by Lorentz) regarding time dilation, etc. Many think the two are the same. Bertrand Russell once said that "Special Relativity IS the lorentz transformation," but he was saying that in a loose sense only.

As the paper cited notes, the empirical evidence gleaned from the GPS actually serves to disconfirm, not confirm, SR.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 03:27 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
existence/use of a "preferred frame."

Yet Lay doesn't the Twin Paradox almost imply the existence of such a frame
...something that has long puzzled me....

It certainly does not.
layman

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 03:27 am
@layman,
Quote:
That said, you can find any number of ill-considered articles which claim that the GPS "confirms" SR.

I'm don't think any serious physicist actually uses SR for experimental/practical purposes anymore. But, whether out of deference to Einstein's legacy, habit, or just lazy thinking, it seems that any theory of relativity (including the "lorentzian relativity" generally employed) used is still called "special relativity" by many (even when it's not).
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 03:30 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

It certainly does not.

It sounds like we disagree, Brandon. I have already stated, over the course of several posts, my basis for taking a different position. Is there something in them that you specifically disagree with?
layman

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 09:12 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

It sounds like we disagree, Brandon. I have already stated, over the course of several posts, my basis for taking a different position. Is there something in them that you specifically disagree with?

No? Just to make sure I'll repeat the point.

In the so-called "twin paradox" SR ends up saying that it is the space twin who "really" ages less than the earth twin. This is simply tantamount to saying that, as between the two, there is one "proper" frame to use when deciding who's moving, and hence, whose clock has slowed down. It turns out that the frame of reference of the earth is the "correct" (preferred) one.

To the extent the space twin mistakenly believed that it was the earth's clock that was slowing down, he was just plain WRONG. When travelling he was refusing to acknowledge that the earth's frame was the preferred one, and hence his conclusions were just plain wrong--he was mistakenly treating his own frame of reference as the preferred frame. Put another way, he was denying his own motion.

He should have just acknowledged that he was the one moving, and hence that HIS clock had slowed down, instead of mistakenly contending that it was the earth's clock that was slowing down. It is only his failure to do this (his mistake) which supposedly creates a "paradox."

Do you disagree with any of this?
layman

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 10:32 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

He should have just acknowledged that he was the one moving, and hence that HIS clock had slowed down, instead of mistakenly contending that it was the earth's clock that was slowing down.

All the known laws of physics (such as the law of inertia) would tell him that he did not suddenly come to an abrupt and complete stop the second he ceased to accelerate. Why wouldn't he acknowledge that he was (still) moving?

The answer: He would. He wouldn't deny his own motion. So why does he deny it? Because, if he is to remain true to SR, he is COMPELLED to say it by the (false) premises of SR, that's why. The second he concedes that he is the one moving, the whole edifice of SR crumbles.

As a professor of physics at Harvard (David Morin) put it:

David Morin wrote:
One might view the statement, “A sees B’s clock running slow, and also B sees A’s clock running slow,” as somewhat unsettling. But in fact, it would be a complete disaster for the theory if A and B viewed each other in different ways

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~djmorin/chap11.pdf [page XI-14]

Now, we certainly wouldn't want to allow a "complete disaster" to occur to the theory of special relativity, would we?

Well, I mean, not unless it was the only sensible conclusion to arrive at, I suppose, anyway.

Again, SR itself has to end up contradicting itself when it acknowledges, in the end, that indeed he was moving, all along, notwithstanding his ill-informed denial at the time.
layman

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 01:11 am
@layman,
David Morin wrote:
One might view the statement, “A sees B’s clock running slow, and also B sees A’s clock running slow,” as somewhat unsettling. But in fact, it would be a complete disaster for the theory if A and B viewed each other in different ways.

Just an observation: This language about what one "sees" and how he "views" things is misleading insofar as it suggests any kind of empirical observation by the visual senses. There is no such "seeing" involved. The traveler doesn't "see" himself to be motionless, he merely assumes it (in SR, I mean, not in any real life scenario). He doesn't "see" the other clock running slow, he merely deduces it from his mistaken premises.

Saying he "sees" it disguises and misrepresents the true situation--a common tactic used by SR advocates. But, as shown by the GPS, among other empirical observations, a clock on a moving satellite in space does not "see" the earth clock as "running slow," it sees it as running faster than it's own clock. The earth clock does (accurately and properly) "see" the satellite clock as running slow. Each does NOT "see" the other clock as running more slowly. This fact, in Morin's words, results in "complete disaster" for SR.

Another observation: As Morin notes, SR is entirely dependent on the supposed SUBJECTIVE deductions of "observers." But, as I said near the beginning of this thread, that is NOT what a theory of physical science is about. The misperceptions, delusions, or faulty logic of particular individuals do not, and can not, determine objective reality. The "subjectivist" approach relied upon by SR is really a product of solipsistic philosophy, not objective, empirically-based scientific physical theory.
fresco

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 01:41 am
@layman,
Think a bit deeper !

Quote:
Science
We as scientists make scientific statements. These statements are validated by the procedure we use to generate them: the scientific method. This method can be described as involving the following operations: (a) observation of a phenomenon that, henceforth, is taken as a problem to be explained; (b) proposition of an explanatory hypothesis in the form of a deterministic system that can generate a phenomenon isomorphic with the one observed, (c) proposition of a computed state or process in the system specified by the hypothesis as a predicted phenomenon to be observed; and (d) observation of the predicted phenomenon.
In the first operation, the observer specifies a procedure of observation that, in turn, specifies the phenomenon that he or she will attempt to explain. In the second, the observer proposes a conceptual or concrete system as a model of the system that he or she assumes generates the observed phenomenon. In the third, the observer uses the proposed model to compute a state or a process that he or she proposes as a predicted phenomenon to be observed in the modeled system. Finally, in the fourth operation he or she attempts to observe the predicted phenomenon as a case in the modeled system. If the observer succeeds in making this second observation, he or she then maintains that the model has been validated and that the system under study is in that respect isomorphic to it and operates accordingly. Granted all the necessary constraints for the specification of the model, and all the necessary attempts to deny the second observations as controls, this is all that the scientific method permits.

This we all know. Yet we are seldom aware that an observation is the realization of a series of operations that entail an observer as a system with properties that allow him or her to perform these operations, and, hence, that the properties of the observer, by specifying the operations that he or she can perform determine the observer's domain of possible observations. Nor
are we usually aware that, because only those statements that we generate as observers through the use of the scientific method are scientific statements, science is necessarily a domain of socially accepted operational statements validated by a procedure that specifies the observer who generates them as the standard observer who can perform the operations required for their generation. In other words, we are not usually aware that science is a closed cognitive domain in which all statements are, of necessity, subject dependent, valid only in the domain of interactions in which the standard observer exists and operates. As observers we generally take the observer for granted and, by accepting his universality by implication, ascribe many of the invariant features of our descriptions that depend on the standard observer to a reality that is ontologically objective and independent of us. Yet the power of science rests exactly on its subject dependent nature, which allows us to deal with the operative domain in which we exist. It is only when we want to consider the observer as the object of our scientific inquiry, and we want to understand both what he does when he makes scientific statements and how these statements are operationally effective, that we encounter a problem if we do not recognize the subject dependent nature of science.

Maturana 1978 (emphasis mine)

In short what we call 'dead insects' have no 'existence' for starving frogs, and by extrapolation 'we' are merely another organism within its own specific existential domain which directs its observational needs.
layman

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 02:19 am
@fresco,
A typical non sequitur from you, eh, Fresky?
fresco

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 02:36 am
@layman,
Laughing Sorry...for a moment I forgot you don't do 'deeper' !
No doubt your got your concept of 'observer' from the bucket and spade shop next to the paddling pool !

dalehileman

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 11:03 am
@fresco,
You two fellas could be friends if you'd entertain my 'RR'
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 11:14 am
@layman,
Quote:
As Morin notes, SR is entirely dependent on the supposed SUBJECTIVE deductions of "observers." But, as I said near the beginning of this thread, that is NOT what a theory of physical science is about. The misperceptions, delusions, or faulty logic of particular individuals do not, and can not, determine objective reality. The "subjectivist" approach relied upon by SR is really a product of solipsistic philosophy, not objective, empirically-based scientific physical theory.

As I noted before, Einstein himself rejected this approach later in life. Addressing one of his positivistic critics, he said;

Albert Einstein wrote:
What I dislike in this kind of argumentation is the basic positivistic attitude, which from my point of view is untenable, and which seems to me to come to the same thing as Berkeley's principle, esse est percipi....We represent the sense-impressions as conditioned by an "objective" and by a "subjective" factor. For this conceptual distinction there also is no logical-philosophical justification. But if we reject it, we cannot escape solipsism. It is also the presupposition of every kind of physical thinking. Here too, the only justification lies in its usefulness.

https://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/ge/einstein.htm

Einstein used to ask his colleagues if they (like Berkeley and Fresky) actually thought the moon ceased to exist when they looked away from it. If they said "yes," then he knew they were lost causes as far as accepting objective science goes.

For those who may not be familiar with historical philosophers, "Berkeley's principle esse est percipi" is essentially that "to be is to be perceived." This is a shorthand way of saying that nothing exists UNLESS it is observed to exist. Existence completely depends on the perceptions of an observer. If you look away from the moon, then it no longer exists, because, in this view, there is no "objective reality," only subjective perception.
fresco

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 12:26 pm
@layman,
Total rubbish and intellectually dishonest !

You have merely underscored your ignorance by attempting to selectively misquote Albert by the use of '....' between seperate parts of his essay hundreds of words apart!

We all know about his opposition to QM which is the essence of his essay, a point which seems to have escaped you! And whether he consequently attempts to temper his view of his development of Relativity is a side issue. We also know about his 'defeat' at the hands of QM ( via Bell's Theorem) which places his particular take on epistemology in the 'suspect' camp. But that has nothing to do the contextual status of SR and GR with respect to their intractable place in History of Science.
layman

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 12:47 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

We also know about his 'defeat' at the hands of QM ( via Bell's Theorem) which places his particular take on epistemology in the 'suspect' camp. But that has nothing to do the contextual status of SR and GR with respect to their intractable place in History of Science.

Wrong, on both counts. John Stuart Bell (of Bell's theorem) never said that there could be no "hidden variables," as the QM people argued. His theorem merely says that there could be none unless other theoretical views were abandoned:

John Stuart Bell wrote:
Bell even suggested, in response to his theorem and relevant experiments, the rejection of “fundamental relativity” and the return to a Lorentzian view in which there is a dynamically privileged, though probably empirically undetectable,reference frame.

He remarked: “… I would say that the cheapest resolution is something like going back to relativity as it was before Einstein, when people like Lorentz and Poincare´ thought that there was an aether—a preferred frame of reference—but that our measuring instruments were distorted by motion in such a way that we could not detect motion through the aether."

http://wase.urz.uni-magdeburg.de/mertens/teaching/seminar/themen/AJP001261.pdf

Nice try. You should make some attempt to learn a little more about the topics you pretend to be an expert in, eh, Fresky?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 01:00 pm
@layman,
You used a quote from Travis Norsena [Lecturer in Physics], Department of Physics, Smith College, McConnell Hall, Northampton, Massachusetts - John Stuart Bell didn't write that essay.
layman

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 01:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Heh, he quoted Bell, Walt. Read it again. I just included the introductory remarks by Norsena, that's all.

Could ya get just a little more picky and pedantic, ya think? I mean, like, would that be possible, ya figure?

You generally seemed determined to find something--anything, no matter how trivial it may be--wrong in my posts, eh, Walt? Even if you have to misread them.

What's up with that?
fresco

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 02:09 pm
@layman,
If you think there is nothing wrong in scouring the literature for obsure allusions to your simplistic anti Einstein bias or selectively quoting ( i.e misquoting )from them, then don't expect to be taken seriously. It is a truism that all scientific paradigms are ultimately open to consenual revision (Thomas Kuhn), but not by a naive pseudo-evangelist on a self renforcement exercise.