Gravitational waves Discovered !

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:49 am
Well this is interesting finally we nailed them ! The LIGO bastards did it !

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,904 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 08:35 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
That's funny. Farmerman posted a very similar thread about gravy waves the other day......
http://able2know.org/topic/310509-1
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 09:50 am
@Lordyaswas,
Wow ! It seems I am lagging behind... Wink
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:27 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
not so fast. It needs to be repeated several times and the calcs compared . BICEP did it 3 years ago but couldnt be repeated Im more of an opinion as to what this opens.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:34 pm
@farmerman,
I know...I am just excited Farma !
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:32 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
So this confirms it. It seemed rather obvious that they should be there, and Einstein has been right about everything else, so this wasn't really much of a surprise to anyone (or it shouldn't have been), but there it is.

Now the question is what can we do with it? I've heard that it heralds a whole new age of astronomy because it gives us another way to look at things besides EM waves, but given that the sensitivity of the devices needs to be so extreme and the perturbations so phenomenal I'm having a hard time imagining how to get much of a detailed analysis of the Universe out of this.

Anyone know?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 07:58 pm
@rosborne979,
Well the promise is there on the long run and this talk gets more funding going on for Science which bottom line is good. Anyway given the low frequency of these events and the measurable difficulties they pose coming from distant galaxies I am having my own doubts about short term practical uses for this.
Nonetheless the confirmation of gravitational waves throws yet another rock at the old vision of space as pure emptiness...from my pov the more rocks against that kind of vision the better. (Gravitational lens effect and Quantum foam was not enough)
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 08:01 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I understand a little bit about rocks, because I used to throw them in lakes to see how many bounce I could get. Quantum foam is another thing all together; nada, zilch, end of discussion.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 08:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Vacuum energy, virtual particles, Hawking's radiation, are a parallel subject but they strike at the heart of the same old problem of people tending to think of space as empty which is absolutely wrong period.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 08:50 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
My analogy of throwing "rocks" at the idea of empty space had nothing to do with the analogy of throwing rocks at a lake to explain gravitational waves ripping through the fabric of space time.
0 Replies